PDA

View Full Version : Am I having panic attacks?

Million_Moments
10-06-11, 19:28
I suffer from what feel like panic attacks but don't fit in with what you read on health websites. I get them in response to thinking about death and dying, who somebody else starts talking about it. I feel a bit like a fight or flight response kicks in, I immedietly begin to cry, breath fast/hold my breath to try to stop from hyperventilating and tense up and I feel like my heart races.

However, the way they differ, is that they stop very quickly. The longest I have ever had is 2 minutes, they are normally only for 30 seconds. I literally go from gripped with fear to functioning normally again. One of my friends couldn't help but laugh when he accidently trigged a panic attack and 30 seconds later I just stopped and started eating my pizza again!

Also, all the information I read on panic attacks/panic disorder seems to stress that people think that the panic attack is something more serious - or that it will kill them. I never think this, I just find them upsetting.

The psychologist was trying to assess me for a diagnosis the other day and it didn't go so well, she said I didn't fit in any of the boxes!

I'tsallgonebadagain!
10-06-11, 20:38
Hi Million Moments

Yes, I think you are, and do not feel like you do not fit in and do not know what is wrong. My PAs never have lasted more than a couple of frigtening minutes, but because I *realise* what is happening, I too start immediately to fight back, so to speak. I too control my breathing and talk myself down from it.

I do not think that however much we are told all PAs are the same, we can actually settle for that explanation as we are not all the same and cannot possibly deal with it the same way.

You have a head start as you have figured they will not kill you... But yes, they are very upsetting.

I am trying to instead of find diversions, actually say *bring it on*! You cannot hurt me. It has worked thus far, but if in your case those thoughts are triggering it, the only way I can see for you to make them go away is to deal with your death-anxiety related issues.

We are all afraid to die, but to allow it to dominate our minds and have us frozen in fear can mean we are not having a life before it...

I hope you can sort it out and maybe even get some help with that, which is the root cause of the issue.

IAGBA