PDA

View Full Version : Coming off diazepam

VickiS
10-06-11, 23:38
Hey everyone

Just looking for some advice really, I've been taking diazepam for 10 years now and have recently started citalopram as the doc wants me off Diaz and they no longer work the way they used to.

I take 13mg per day and he wants to cut me by 2mg per week, have any of you experianced coming off Diaz like this? And what can I expect? I've only been on the cit for 14 days so it's still early days on it for me

Vicki

eight days a week
11-06-11, 12:59
Hi Vicki :)

I believe Professor Ashton is one of the world's leading authorities on benzo withdrawal, and has a very detailed website with titration (reduction schedules) along with very good advice on all aspects of reducing:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm

The thing is, neither my GP or psychiatrist (who put me on the stuff!) had even heard of her :scared15: So, I had to 'educate' them and insist this was the schedule I was going to follow.

With you, you've been on it for so very long, what's the point of rushing it and finding it more difficult than you need to? None at all I'd suggest, you'll be far more likely to do well and come off it comfortably going slowly and at your own pace!

The other thing is that cit is in no way a direct substitute, and it takes some weeks to kick in, sometimes quite a few. People vary I believe in how much it helps their anxiety. Hopefully for you it will, but I'd be cautious about dropping too much diazepam too quickly before finding out. For me it actually raised anxiety before it reduced it (I eventually had to give it up due to other side effects anyway).

After a quick glance at the page, Ashton seems to recommend dropping by 1mg diazepam every 1-2 weeks (as you feel comfortable). That's about what I did (going from 8mg every day to often as little as 1mg now) and it was pretty comfortable that way :)

One great point she makes is try always never to go backwards, even if that means getting 'stuck' at a dose for longer than planned, because you feel it's difficult to go lower yet. I got 'stuck' a couple of times for a few weeks, but most importantly I never increased back up.

Slow but steady, and listening to your own body (taking things at your own pace) just like Ashton says works in my experience :)

I now take as little as 1mg daily, and can probably try harder to drop even that (the problem I guess is I'm quite happy at that point compared to where I was). On very anxious/uncomfortable days I do take more - but it now works like it should again, and I'm not just taking it because my body 'expects' it every day.

Good luck to you :)

VickiS
11-06-11, 16:47
Hi

Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear from someone who has successfully cut down on the Diaz

I was thinking 2mg at a time is too much for me, I would prefer to go 1mg at a time and hopefully then I Wont have withdrawals too bad. I just hope my GP is understanding about it all and is happy to go at my pace ( I recently moved so I'm with a new practice) I really do want off them now as they just dont work like they used to, here's hoping the cit works ok for me and helps with the anxiety/ panic attacks/agoraphobia.

I'll let you know how I'm getting on :)

eight days a week
11-06-11, 16:58
You're welcome Vicki :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that 2mg per day per week isn't possible, or that it's dangerous, just that I think it's quite ambitious.

1mg at a time you won't have withdrawals at all really I don't think, just perhaps feel a little bit more on edge from time to time. Following that schedule, it was really easy, promise :)

Perhaps read up on Ashton's site like I did and then take that knowledge and info in to your GP?

Again, best of luck, and please keep us posted how you get on :)

VickiS
11-06-11, 19:42
Hi again

I know what you meant about the 2mg :) I think it's a bit too ambitious for me as my anxiety is quite high anyway with just starting the cit

I'm going to research the info you gave me and speak to my GP this week :) Its gave me a much more positive outlook knowing youve been through the same thing and knowing i should be able to drop with no withdrawals, I've been really scared about trying to come off them but the time is right for me

Thanks again

iamspartacus
11-06-11, 20:58
print a copy of the Ashton Manual off and show it to your GP. The Ashton Manual is a credible peer reviewed document and Heather Ashton has had a lot of success weaning people from benzodiazepines. If you show your GP that you are pro active in your approach and mean busines, it may give them the confidence they need to trust your judgement. Bottom line is come off at a rate that YOU are comfortable with, and if you do have difficulties, rather than going up in dose, stick at that particular dose until you feel stable enough to continue. More GP's are becoming educated on taking people off these drugs, but not all are up to speed yet. State your case clearly and concisely and you should then obtain the support you need. First rule in coming off is dont anticipate any withdrawals. Deal with each day as it comes and maintain as healthy a lifestyle as you can while you adjust. I was on these drugs for five years and I followed the Ashton Manual too. Take your time, and dont rush your withdrawal.

VickiS
13-06-11, 11:36
Thanks guys, I went to see my GP today and he's leaving the Diaz for now, I'm in day 17 of citalopram and anxiety levels are through the roof, he said I should be this bad after more than 2 weeks in so he's changed me to 50mg of sertraline, he said we can discuss a plan of action when I get a medication thats going to help so no stressing about it just now :)

VickiS
12-07-11, 00:11
Thanks for all the advice guys

Quick update
My GP was really understanding and was willing to try it my way it's been 4 weeks now and I've went from 13mg to 10mg a day, im taking things slowly at a pace I'm comfortable with and fingers crossed its all going well :)

Paul30
16-07-11, 10:56
I'm on 2.5mg now; it took me quite a while to get down to this dose and it's not been easy. Once you get down to 5mg take it in 0.5mg decrements - no more! Even cutting down at this rate is giving me some nasty symptoms at the moment, for example - last night was like something from nightmare on elm street.:) The symptoms seems to last about 3 to 4 weeks for me - they come in waves - please do not try to cut down weekly as its far to soon.

My GP is a total idiot and I had to argue to get the liquid diazepam to taper off slowly: he didn't want to give it me because he says it costs to much, nice chap hey:lac:. I must be really unlucky with GPs as they all seem to do the opposite in terms of support.

Anyway rant over, but just remember the lower the dose you're on the smaller the decrement.

VickiS
19-08-11, 23:38
Thanks for the advice :) I'm now down to 7mg, it's not all been plain sailing but I'm getting there

GlenyD
05-09-11, 12:18
I'm scared at the moment as I've meant to have been reducing but I haven't been. :-( I'm such a fool! It's been noticed that I'm ordering too much and I have an appointment to see my GP in about 3 weeks time. Totally freaking he's just gonna stop them altogether. I order usually about a week or less in advance of my supply running out so I have a little extra "In case of emergency" but it's become much more habitual taking them. They're sooo addictive. But they do seem to work so well. Glad to hear you are down to 7mgs Vicki. Well done. I'm meant to be down to 9...but I'm not. Oh dear.

VickiS
05-09-11, 21:16
It's not an uncommon thing with Diaz, I used to do this when I was on my regular monthly prescription, the longer you take it the more you seem to need.

Sorry to hear you're not doing too good, hopefully your GP will be understanding. I'm not going to lie it a really hard drug to even reduce from, but I feel the time is right for me to do it.

Good luck with your doc :) x

eight days a week
05-09-11, 21:38
Really glad to see this thread pop up again as I'm not very good at following them :) Vicki, how are things? Your last post showed an incredible reduction - almost a half - wow!

I'd love to hear how you're getting on :)

I'm scared at the moment as I've meant to have been reducing but I haven't been. :-( I'm such a fool! It's been noticed that I'm ordering too much and I have an appointment to see my GP in about 3 weeks time. Totally freaking he's just gonna stop them altogether. I order usually about a week or less in advance of my supply running out so I have a little extra "In case of emergency" but it's become much more habitual taking them. They're sooo addictive. But they do seem to work so well. Glad to hear you are down to 7mgs Vicki. Well done. I'm meant to be down to 9...but I'm not. Oh dear.

Don't be scared and don't beat yourself up about it please, there's absolutely no need :) Your doctor CANNOT just stop them - that would be unethical and dangerous. You just need more help with them. In the meantime you do need to be more disciplined.

Do you think writing down every day when you take one, and comparing it day by day would help? You could try to leave it longer between taking them each time, and pushing yourself a little. You can do this! The alternative is taking more and more and the doctor won't just give you an unlimited prescription!

If you need extra help there are other medicines. Propanalol is well known by doctors, and (although I can't recommend them myself) SSRIs. There are others but I don't know much about them and some may (??) need to be prescribed by a psychiatrist as your GP may not know much about them.

One other issue that comes to mind is sometimes GPs can be too pushy about coming off them too fast or at a time that's not good for the patient. My GP was a bit casual about it and I didn't get the sense that he really knew how it worked so I researched Professor Ashton's website myself.

I think as long as you're not increasing the doc should let you have a few weeks if you need it until you feel ready to reduce. It sounds like you're increasing so you need to stabilise and stop that, and if you can then at least your doc will see you're hoping to work along the right lines :)

Best of luck and please keep us informed how you get along (maybe start a new thread for support and advice?) :)

GlenyD
05-09-11, 22:35
Thanks guys and gals. :-) Yeah, I was scared they were going to just take them off me completely. But my nurse friend told me they wouldn't. I'm also afraid of getting a "Right-telling off", but apparently they have to be professional about it all. I've just been really really stupid. As my Doctor said in his letter it is a really easy trap to fall into - and he wasn't joking either. I'm already on two other types of meds. Cipralex and Trifluoperazine. I have a habit of beating myself up about things. Determined my parents don't find out though as they have enough stress dealing with me just being in the house. Luckily they're on holiday at the moment. I was meant to get a call from the Duty Doctor today to sort all this out but he never rang. So tomorrow is Confession time. "Forgive me Dr, for I have sinned." :-s

VickiS
06-09-11, 18:52
Thanks hun, I'm down to 6mg at the moment so I'm just over half way there, it seems to get harder the lower I go but I'm determined to come off them :)

Your GP should be understanding, it's very easy to take more than you're prescribed. In order to reduce or to eventually come off them you have to be in the right frame of mind, it's much easier just to carry on taking them as you are, don't be bullied into taking things too quickly, you have to be firm and tell them how you will do it.

GlenyD
06-09-11, 21:12
Thanks Viki. :-) Wow 6mgs is not a lot to be on. You're doing really well. My Psychiatrist did tell me it does get much harder the lower you go. :-( Sigh. Why must they be so more-ish. To paraphrase a Russel Brand joke about heroin. I hope he is understanding. I got a call back from the duty doctor via his secretary and I've just to wait to see my own GP at a standard appointment, that's not for about 3 weeks. So I'm going to do my utmost to behave better till then. :-) It's so easy with them though to want to take one and "zone" out for a while. :-s It's such a pleasant feeling.

VickiS
07-09-11, 15:01
Thanks :) that's me down from 13mg, it's been a pretty rough ride tbh but nothing I can't cope with.

I hope you get on ok with your GP, when you suffer from anxiety Diaz can give you such a relief from the awful feelings, it's great to zone out for a bit :) I'm hoping with the citalopram I can cope without the Diaz and get on with things

Keep me posted on how you get on Gleny

GlenyD
07-09-11, 22:05
Thanks again Viki. I'm on Escitalopram. It's like Citalopram but the chemical opposite. :-s Weird. I never did chemistry in school but you know those sculptures with the balls and the sticks showing the structure of chemicals? Escitalopram is a mirror-image of Citalopram. It really helped me with my depression. However, my panic attacks came back bigggg-style last year, despite being on that and Trifluoperazine (an anti-psychotic) (not that I'm psychotic). I had to go into hospital for 4 weeks and was put on 12mgs of Diazepam. That and some exposure and also being surrounded by people I percieved as being "More ill" than me helped a lot. :-) I've spoken to a nurse friend and a psychiatrist friend and they all seem to think it'll go ok. I made the decision to phone my Pyschiatrist this morning - so she's phoning tomorrow. So I'll "own up" then. Just as long as my parents don't find out. They're getting too old to deal with my problems and watch me like a hawk for any signs of "Slipping back" into my old ways. They get really angry about it. As when I'm really bad I have to be looked after until I can get into hospital.

GlenyD
07-09-11, 22:06
Just noticed I misspelled Psychiatrist!

VickiS
07-09-11, 22:29
Sorry to hear you're not doing so well atm, there's nothing worse thanivi g with anxiety and panic attacks :(

I think things will go ok for you, you were prescribed this fir a genuine problem and docs know themselves that tolerance levels go up, therefor you need to take more to get the sane effect, it's a vicious circle when you're dealing with anxiety.

I can totally understand you not wanting your patents to find out, I lost my mum 8 years ago but my dad still doesn't know about my mental health issues.

VickiS
07-09-11, 22:29
Sorry for the typos, I'm tired lol

GlenyD
08-09-11, 13:07
Sorry to hear that Viki. It must be hard keeping it from your Dad. I am unable to hide my symptoms completely. I fidget a lot and play a lot of TETRIS obsessively on my DS, and I take to my bed for hours at a time. When I'm really bad I don't even leave my room. Parents watch me like hawks. They should be detectives. lol. Typos excused! :-)

VickiS
09-09-11, 08:43
It must be really hard for you living with your parents :( I'm lucky that I live on my own so I only see my dad a couple of times a week. I do the exact same lol I've become a playstation and xbox addict, anything to keep me occupied

GlenyD
09-09-11, 12:51
Hehe. Cool! I have a 360 and a Wii and a 3DS too. :-p They're great. :-) Currently got so many games to play it's ridiculous. Deus Ex Human Revolution is on the go at the moment, still got LA Noire to play through and a whole bunch of others. :-) Yeah it is tough living with the folks. I just don't think I'd be able to afford living on my own. :-(

VickiS
09-09-11, 19:31
Haha I'm playing resident evil, silent hill and mortal kombat just now, it's a really great way to keep your mind off how you're feeling :)

Living with your parents can be good for you, at least you're never on your own, I have kids so they keep me busy, although I do enjoy the peace and quiet when they're with their dad lol

GlenyD
09-09-11, 20:52
Resident Evil is the bomb! :-p Is it 5 you're playing? Not as good as 4 on the Gamecube or Wii Version but still amazings. :-) Silent Hill I find creepier but not as much fun. The Room (Silent Hill 4 was well scary). Good news! My shrink phoned me today and she's not mad at all! She was totally understanding to the max and is going to phone my GP before I have to see him in two weeks. :-) Soooo relieved. Amazing result. Such a nice lady. I will be reducing but it'll again be gradual. Feel so much better now it's all out in the open. :-) Hope you're doing good too. :-p Get LA Noire!! You will "beeping" love it. :-)

VickiS
10-09-11, 09:54
Yeah it's resident evil 5 I'm onto now (completed the rest lol) also onto silent hill 5, it's very creepy at points I'm currently stuck fighting a freaky looking giant doll, the thing keeps killing me :( I've never heard of that one so I'll have a look for it and give it a go :)

That's brill news :) it must be a weight off your mind knowing you're going to get the support you need. Reducing from that kind of dosage isn't too bad to start with tbh, but does get harder the lower you get. I'm so glad for you cause I know you were worried about what they would say.

GlenyD
10-09-11, 12:22
Thanks Viki yeah. I was uber-worried likes. Haha, I spent the last 4 days like Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone. :-s LA Noire is amazing - it's by Rockstar who did Grand Theft Auto and that. You play a detective in 1940's LA just back from the war. And you have to investigate lots of crime scenes and interrogate people and work out if they're lying etc. It uses a ner facial animation technology that is just amaaaazing. :-) And there's shooting and driving and fisticuffs etc too! :-p

VickiS
13-09-11, 19:00
Yeah I love GTA (although I was always pretty rubbish at the driving parts lol) it's my birthday next month so I'm getting my orders in for new games :)

I spoke to my doc today and she wants to cut down the reduction because I'm on a low dose now :) so I'm only cutting down by 0.5 mg this week, I'm happy with that as it has been pretty rough over the past couple of weeks

How are you getting on Gleny? X

GlenyD
13-09-11, 21:30
Hey again Viki. :-) I'm doing fine thanks at the moment. Got my docs appointment next Friday. Eeek! But it should go ok. :-) Other than that things are just the same as always really. There are some ace new games due to come out likes. Batman Arkhum City, I've pre-ordered that. Can't get enough of Batman. Battlefield 3 (boy's game ;-) ) And Skyrim among others! Can't wait!! Woop woop! :-) That's cool about your reduction schedule being slowed down. Should help! Hope you are good. xxx

VickiS
13-09-11, 21:54
Heyyy :) glad you're doing good, I'm sure things will go fine with your doc :)

I was having a look at all the games due out, there's do many I have no idea which ones I want :o lol. I'm loaded with the cold just now, I don't even have the energy to get out of bed (good excuse though haha)

GlenyD
14-09-11, 14:11
Hehe. Yeah it is a good excuse. :-p Hope you feel better soons. :-) There are so many eh? It's madness! :-) I iz off to my Gran's tomorrow for her birthday - means getting the bus! Arghghg. :-( Dratted agoraphobia! Oh wells, I'm sure I'll handle it ok. :-) Done it before. :-)

VickiS
14-09-11, 15:45
Aww good luck going on the bus, I still can't face them :( aw well I'm sure I'll get there soon. Agoraphobia sucks :( at least you're making yourself go out and do things which is awesome.

eight days a week
14-09-11, 16:12
Great news guys, sounds like everyone's doing well :yesyes:

Vicki, I think the Ashton taper does go down very slowly towards the end doesn't it? Also, is there a point at which you are happy to stop? (I still take 1mg to 3mg daily, the odd day without any, and my GP, psychiatrist, and myself are all happy with that.)

Have there been any studies about anxiety and video games I wonder?! :roflmao: I've got about 40 games for my PS3, playing Mass Effect 2 right now, haven't played much online recently but did dip back into MW2 and Uncharted 2 on a few nights. I'm just waiting for Portal 2 to drop in price so I can get on the multiplayer (it's £25 right now, which is way out of my budget, great game though) :)

joans60
14-09-11, 16:40
Hoqw long does it take to get addicted to diazapam my doctor as given them to me to take when I go on holiday and also on a cruise and dont want to take them if I will get addicted to them.

GlenyD
14-09-11, 22:42
I'm not really sure how long it takes to get addicted to them I'm afraid joan. I would imagine a couple of weeks maybe? Or a few days anyway. :-) You should be ok if you're just taking them for travelling nerves. They're often prescribed short term for that with no probs. Eight Days a Week - well they have proved that playing Tetris is helpful for people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. To tell the truth everytime I go out I keep my DSi and my mobile phone and a bottle of water with me at all times. Tetris seems to help my anxiety quite a bit, but it's almost as addictive as Diazepam!! No joke.

VickiS
14-09-11, 22:47
Yeah doing not too bad :) I'm sure Dr Aston recommends once you get to a lower dose you should reduce less. I would ideally like to stop taking them altogether but I'll see how it goes :) I'm a realist so I know I may still have to take some for my anxiety

Computer games really help me when I'm anxious, I think it occupies your mind and you don't think about it ad much, a lot of anxiety sufferers seem to use them as a distraction.

I think taking Diaz for very short term use should be fine, they will really help. What dosage has your doc prescribed?

GlenyD
15-09-11, 11:53
It's totally true about video games likes. :-) It's been called a form of meditation playing them, and I totally buy into that theory. You just get lost in another world for a while. :-)

joans60
15-09-11, 16:41
Hi There Vickis
He as prescribed 2mg of diazapam
So mI should be alright taking them short term I only want them for the cruise as well because if it is rough I can take one and I hope it will help me do they help to calm you down as I have never taken them.

Joan

VickiS
15-09-11, 19:45
Hi Joan, you should be totally fine on 2mg, that's a small dose and as long as you use them sensibly you shouldn't become addicted :)

They do relax you and calm you down, if you're anxious or panicky the relief from them is great so dint worry about taking them. X

Glenny I totally agree, I get lost in my games and find it really therapeutic, they've helped me get through some really bad days :) X

joans60
16-09-11, 15:12
Thank you Vicky for your reply
I am strarting to get a little anxious at the moment my granddaughter goes to University tomorrow and she will be living in and at the moment I see her most days I also take her out to lunch since she as finished college and it as been lovely spending time witrh her but that finishes tomorrow so I think that is putting my anxiety up and also the doctor as increased my citralopram to 20mg from 10mg.

Joanx

VickiS
16-09-11, 21:39
No problem Joan :) I too am on 20mg of citalopram, I had awful SEs but they have settled down now, so it's just the Diaz withdrawals getting to me now :(

Anxiety is an awful thing and the Diaz will help you get through a tough time for a short while, hope you're feeling ok x

GlenyD
17-09-11, 14:18
Hope you're feeling ok too Joan. Change can be upsetting sometimes, but it will all work out I am sure for you. :-) I iz having a good day. That's my folks back from holiday. All safe and sound. :-p Ace.

VickiS
17-09-11, 22:51
Glad to hear you're doing good, back to normality with the parents home eh :)

I'm having a weird weekend :s I'm so tired all the time

GlenyD
18-09-11, 11:50
Thanks Viki. Yeah - back to being nagged constantly. Great! :-p Hee hee. Sorry to hear you're feeling weird. Maybe it's da wevver! :-) I sleep loads likes. Love being asleep, don't like being tired. Hope you feel better soons. xxx

bookworm58
18-09-11, 11:56
i came off my medication to quickly and got rebound withdrawal.so take your time.

VickiS
18-09-11, 12:54
Heyy Glenny, lol at getting nagged at by your parents, my dad was over visiting this morning and we ended up debating about the football matches today :p (we both support different teams)

That's my plans for today 2 footie matches to watch :D

Bookworm what's rebound withdrawal?

joans60
18-09-11, 15:51
Hi Vickis
Who do you support
I also like football as well I suppoort Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Thank you also for your comments

Joan

VickiS
18-09-11, 17:34
Hi Joan

The English team I support is Chelsea :) but I'm from Scotland and a die hard rangers fan, it was the old firm today, what a game :)

GlenyD
18-09-11, 20:27
ARghghgh that's all it's been about on bookface today. The old firm game. :-) I just posted "I don't care what the Old Firm score was, like at all. K Thnx Bai" Lol. :-) Not a big footy fan here, mainly due to being rubbish at it at school. Noone ever explained the rules to my satisfaction. :-p I once scored three goals in one match when I was playing in the Boy's Brigade team though - most of them ricocheted off my face. :-)

eight days a week
18-09-11, 21:09
Glen, how are you doing at cutting back on the diazepam?

Vicki, I think Bookworm meant that when you withdraw your anxiety goes up.

It's yet another fine day to be a lifelong Spurs supporter, tremendous performance :yahoo:

GlenyD
18-09-11, 23:36
HAven't really started yet eight. Waiting to see my GP on Friday to find out what the new score is with reducing. :-s Not looking forward to it particularly. But hey ho! That's the way it goes. I'm sure I'll get on ok. :-) How are you doing?

VickiS
19-09-11, 20:41
Ah I see, my anxiety goes ip every time I reduce :( it settled really quickly at first, but now it's taking longer. Got the docs again tomorrow, so will probably reduce again.

You'll be fine Glenny :) PMA I'd what's needed to start you off, just be sure and go at a pace that you're comfortable with :)

GlenyD
20-09-11, 11:36
Thanks Viki. What's PMA mean? :-s :-p I'm not looking forward to seeing my GP on Friday at all likes. What's the betting my shrink hasn't spoken to him yet? The lines of communication in the NHS are a joke. :-s xxx

VickiS
20-09-11, 13:04
Positive mental attitude Hun :) the NHS are a joke, you'll probably have to tell your doc everything your shrink said lol

I spoke to my doc today and I'm staying at the same dose for another week, I'm not doing too well with the reduction this time :( but hey ho I'll get there :)

Hope you're having a good day x

GlenyD
20-09-11, 23:25
Hey again Viki. :-( SOrry to hear you're not doing too well with the reduction. That sucks. It's well 'ard innit? I've had an alright day really. Just watched Machete on DVD - was pretty good ridiculously violent fun. :-) Hee hee. xxx

VickiS
21-09-11, 09:57
Heyyy Glen

Yeah the reduction is really getting to me atm :( it's all good though, I know I'll level out eventually :)

Nice one, I don't think I've seen that film, I've been watching the nightmare on elm street box set, I remember it being much scarier when I was younger lol
Hope you have a good day :) xx

GlenyD
21-09-11, 11:58
Heheh. Cool. I have the Nightmare on Elm Street box-set too. :-) 1 is the only reallllly good one. Freddy vs Jason which ain't in the set though is also really really good fun. :-) At least I thought so - maybe I iz odd! :-p Day going well so far, my volunteer disclosure came through at long last! Woop woop! And Thai curry for tea tonight - oh yeah! :-p

Hope you are well. xxx

VickiS
22-09-11, 10:19
That's great news Glen :) I do volunteer work for a community youth project, it's really rewarding

I had such a stressful day yesterday :( it was my daughters birthday so she had some friends round for a party.... Bleh too much noise for me lol. I was hoping for a nice relaxing, stress free day today, but I've got a migraine :( I'm off back to bed with some pain killers and hoping it settles down soon xxx

GlenyD
22-09-11, 13:31
Awww that sucks Viki. I'm lucky, very lucky, in that I've never had a migraine. :-s Wouldn't want one at all. Hope you feel better soon. :-) Hang on in there. xxx

VickiS
22-09-11, 18:11
Thanks Glen :) I've been in bed all day with it, feeling a bit better now though. It's typical the day I have loads to do Im in bed, aw well busy day tomoz then haha!! xxx

GlenyD
23-09-11, 12:45
Hehe. Yeah. It's Friday! D-Day (with the D being "Doctors")! Hee hee. :-p I'm feeling alright about it just now. :-) No worries. Had my email hacked this morning - what a joyous start to the day! :-( Glad you're feeling better-er. xxx

VickiS
23-09-11, 13:17
Good luck at the docs today Glen :) I'm sure you'll be fine. Oh that sucks about your email :( loads of people seem to be getting hacked just now.

I'm feeling better today, managed to get everything done this morning :) now having a lazy afternoon. Let me know how things go for you today xxx

GlenyD
23-09-11, 21:25
Hello agains Viki! It went brilliantly brilliantly well! :-) Dr wasn't angry at all and had been briefed by my shrink. So I'm reducing to 12 mgs for two weeks or so - then down to ten again, but I think they're being flexible with it too as he asked how I felt about it and if I was ready and all that. All in all a great result! :-) Now all I have to worry about is Trifluoperazine possibly being discontinued. (one of my other meds I posted elsewhere about) Phoning shrink on monday about that and possible alternatives if they do stop it. But all in all a great day! :-) Hope you've had a good one.

xxx

VickiS
24-09-11, 22:38
That's brill news Glen :D I'm glad it went well for you and you're on a reduction schedule that suits you. I've never heard of the other meds your on :-s but I'm sure they will have a substitute that's very similar if it comes to it.

Hope you're having a good weekend, mine has been pretty hectic lol xxx

GlenyD
26-09-11, 12:28
Hey Viki. :-) Sorry I haven't been on in a couple days. I've got a stinking cold! :-s Hardly slept last night - think it might be turning into a flu, was coughing my lungs up all night. Nightmare. Hope your weekend was hectic but fun! :-)

xxx

VickiS
26-09-11, 15:42
Hey Glen

That sucks hun :( hope you're tucked up in bed getting looked after, there's nothing worse than the flu. My weekend was good thanks, back to normality now it's Monday lol

Hope you feel better soon xxx

GlenyD
27-09-11, 12:56
Hey Viki. thanks. :-p I'm feeling a wee bit better today so I think it's just a real bad cold. Man-flu! :-) Still got aches and pains, but pills will sort that - glorious pillllls! :-p xxx

VickiS
27-09-11, 14:19
Haha glad you're feeling a but better :) we are all allowed to feel sorry for ourselves when the colds going around, it's not nice :(

I'm having a shit day :( stupid doc forgot to phone me this morning for my review, so ive had to phone the surgery and try and get her to get in touch, hopefully she won't be much longer, I hate it when I have no pills at all :( xxx

GlenyD
27-09-11, 21:21
THat sucks likes. :-( No diazepam?? Arghghg! Climbing the walls time. :-s Hope she called you back! :-( xxx

VickiS
28-09-11, 09:35
Yeah she eventually phoned in the afternoon, I think it's the first time ive gave my doc a good talking to lol. It's all good though at least I got it eventually.

I'm hoping for a nice calm day today after the stress of yesterday, hope you have a good one :) xxx

GlenyD
28-09-11, 11:42
Hello agains. :-) I'm not as achey today. And I finally managed to have a reet good bloomin' honest to goodness cough this morning! :-) Cleared me lungs. At last! I think I was being poisoned from the inside. :-s xxx

VickiS
29-09-11, 09:43
Hope you're feeling better today Glen :)

I'm shattered lol, I'm engrossed in the Conrad Murray trial so I'm staying up late to watch it, flaming time differences lol xxx

GlenyD
29-09-11, 14:21
HEhe. Yeah it's pretty intriguing eh? :-) Horrible that tape of Jackson slurring. :-s He must have been on some super dooper strong stuff. :-s He was done for I reckon. The only question is did he self-administer or was he given it. I think the Doc is to blame for giving him it at all, he should have been sectioned or something. xxx

VickiS
29-09-11, 19:02
Totally agree with you Glen, he should never have been prescribed that amount of drugs in the first place. He obviously had problems with his anxiety but no one should ever have that amount of drugs. I personally don't think he administered the medication himself.

I'm watching it just now, it's pretty disturbing stuff :(

GlenyD
29-09-11, 20:05
Yeah. :-) You know what to do then my Dear. Dinnnae watch it! :-) HEe hee. Having said that I just got a couple of horror DVDs through the post this morning one of which is meant to be one of the goriest most disturbing films ever. :-p It's French too. :-) xxx

VickiS
29-09-11, 20:48
Haha I can't watch really gory ones on my own, I need somebody to hide behind :( and unfortunatly my teddy doesn't count on this occasion lol, enjoy your new movies :) xxx

GlenyD
29-09-11, 21:32
Hehehe. :-) I have no teddies to hide behind. :-( I have to face the horror alone. Just like when Luke Skywalker goes into the cave on Dagobah! :-p xxx

eight days a week
29-09-11, 22:23
Glad to hear you're both well :)

Glen, what's the plan for your taper? Are you following the Ashton reduction? (If you're not, you should be!!)

GlenyD
29-09-11, 23:27
No idea eight days. I'm on 14. Doing two weeks on 12. Then going down to ten. Then after that it's up in the air. :-) Think it all depends on how I'm coping. This cold hasn't helped me any.

VickiS
30-09-11, 09:41
Good morning :)

Glen you really should invest in a lovely cuddly teddy to keep you safe :-p lol, mine has watched loads if scary films with me haha!! After reading your post I wanna watch the star wars movies :P xxx

Eight days, things are going ok :) how's things with you?

GlenyD
30-09-11, 13:51
Things are a bit better today. :-) My cold is diminishing and my Dad took pity on me and did my shopping. AWwww. :-p Have you not seen the Star Wars movies?? Watch em. :-) Watch em in the order they were made though. 4-6 then if you can be bothered 1-3. That teddy must be traumatised! :-s Hope he doesn't need meds soon. Hehe. xxx

VickiS
30-09-11, 16:39
Aww that was really nice of your dad :) wish someone would do my shopping lol

Yeah I've seen the first 3 star wars but not watched them in ages, I never got round to watched the new prequel ones that they made, so I may have to sit down and watch them all :-)

Lmao my poor teddy has me to put up with, he must be on more meds than me hehe xxx

GlenyD
01-10-11, 00:36
Hehehe. The Prequels are pretty terrible. Actually 1 is terrible, 2 is bearable, and 3 is quite great! It still has major plot holes and problems though. Hope you enjoy them as much as is possible. Most people feel like they've had their childhood "interfered with" when they've seen them. :-s Poor teddy. I'm sure he'll recover. Stuffed toys are hard, they deal with monsters in closets every night! :-)

xxx

VickiS
02-10-11, 12:08
Heyyyy how's your weekend been? I've had a pretty lazy one tbh :-p

Ive got the bloody cold again so I'm feeling sorry for myself lol, it's my birthday tomoz and for the first time in ages in glad I'm ill :( my friends and family have been harrassing ne to go out for dinner and I'm really not up to it :( I don't think they quite understand that I can't be out in amongst lots if people for a long period I'd time.

Soooo it's my birthday and I want to stay in bed so they can deal with it haha xxx

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Arrg stupid phone and typos lol

GlenyD
02-10-11, 13:57
Hey Vikki. Yeah I've had a really lazy one too cause of the cold alsos. :-s I hope I haven't transmitted it to you via these messages! :-0 Heheh. Yeah I get ya with the going for meals and all that stuff palava. I can't be bothered with it half the time even when I'm feeling well. If I have a day ahead in which I have zero plans I feel pleased with myself. Total avoidance I know but I like it for some reason. If I don't do anything nothing can go wrong? :-s Hope you have a very happy birthday in bed and still get lots of presents. Also - get well soon! :-)

xxx

eight days a week
02-10-11, 14:29
Hi guys,

Glen the Ashton taper is talked about on page one of the thread and is really valuable when you're reducing diazepam.

Sorry to hear you've both got colds, hope you get better soon, and happy birthday Vicki :D

I'm ok really - struggling a lot with depression lately though, not nice at all...

Been playing Mass Effect 2 for weeks now - it's basically a Star Wars 'inspired' (and every other space film) RPG. The atmosphere's incredible, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it, it's pretty repetitive. Hopefully it'll pick up again as the 'force' powers are very cool.

Have a good Sunday everyone! :)

GlenyD
02-10-11, 15:33
Hey Eight days. Sorry to hear about the depression. :-( I've got Mass Effect 1 and 2. 3 comes out before too long as well. :-) I haven't been playing 2 for ages though, got distracted by other shiny games. hehehe. I have so many still to get through it's unbelievable. Just aswell I'm unemployed otherwise I'd have no chance of completing them all! :-p

VickiS
04-10-11, 17:54
Heyyy Glen :) how's things been? I had a really lazy birthday.. It was awesome :-D back to normality today :( been a but on edge all day, I think it's just work getting to me though. I totally get the avoidance thing, I'm the exact same lol, thank god I work from home or I'd be skint haha xxx

Sorry to hear things aren't so great eight days :( hang on in there. I got the tomb raider trilogy for the PS3 for my birthday :) totally can't get into it though lol

GlenyD
04-10-11, 22:40
Hey Vikki, not so great about being on edge. What do you do from home to earn cash? :-) I need something like that I thinks... I've never been a massive Tomb Raider fan. My e-cig broke today. Just went and bought a new one for 50 bucks! It better be goods. :-p Cold is much better now - managed to go to my volunteering thing today - going tomorrow too. I'm gonna be knacked! 4 hours of sort-of work. :-s Hee hee. xxx

VickiS
05-10-11, 09:39
Hey Glen :) I do 2 part time jobs from home, I'm an accountant so I do books from home and the last job I had was in events management, they've kept me on on a part time basis, so I book artists etc from the comfort of my couch lol

What's an e-cig? :-s
I think the volunteer work is a great idea :) at least you manage to go out and do things which is awesome :) I prefer to shut myself off from everyone haha

I'm not really a tomb raider fan either so I'm finding it really hard to get into the games :( my wee boy lIves it though so he's been playing it ( I think that's the only reason I got it hehe)

Have a great day :) xxx

GlenyD
05-10-11, 23:34
Oooh events management sounds cool. :-) Accountant not so much. ;-) But at least it's a job! Well done you. :-)

An e-cig is an electronic cigarette. :-) They are legal to smoke in pubs and clubs and cinemas and busses etc, and give you that much needed nicotine throat hit that you'd get from a normal cigarette. They also contain no dangerous chemicals apart from Nicotine. If it's really good I might try to stop smoking ordinary ones. Cause it's my worst habit and I know it'll end me eventually but I cannae stop. :-( I was at my volunteering thing today again - went well, apart from this one guy who was playing his stupid dance music really loudly. I felt it was disrupting the class. Gonna have a word with the boss about it next week, force the fool to wear headphones or something. It was like being in a nightclub but with no drink or fancy lights or lovely ladies. :-p Hee hee.

Hope your day's been good too. xxx

VickiS
06-10-11, 16:52
Haha I know I studied to be an accountant but I have the attention span of a goldfish :p so I got bored with it and went into radio and events management :) I love my job, it's just a pity the actual events scare the hell out of me now :(

Ooohh that e-cig sounds like a great idea, my dads always moaning at me to quit smoking but i just don't want to lol

Lol that would do my head in with the music as well, if I want to listen to music I'll listen to my own that I like. Ive always got the headphones stuck in my ears :-p , music keeps me sane :)... Well sane-ish kinda haha!! xxx

GlenyD
06-10-11, 22:24
Hehe. Yeah - I totally need to give up smoking too. I think most of us anxious peeps smoke likes! :-s Bad scene. We're all terrified about our health and yet puff away like chimneys. :-s Awww, that sucks about being scared of the events. You must go though! You might get kisses from celebrities. :-) And never want to wash your face again. Hehe.

I love my music likes. But not the dance rubbish this guy was playing. God I hate that stuff. Grargh. Not entirely convinced by my e-cig which came this morning, lots of vapour but not that much of a throat hit. Maybe I need the stronger liquid not sure. xxxx

VickiS
07-10-11, 18:20
Hehe ive been to a lot of the events I've helped organise and met a few really nice folk ;) I do a lot of work with dance music as well (even though I don't like it myself lol)

I know what it's like with the smoking, I smoke way more when I'm anxious, I've never thought about using an e-cig or something like that

You got plans for the weekend? I've got to go to my dads tomorrow :( he's got visitors coming over from Ireland and wants me there, think I'll chill tonight though :) xxxx

GlenyD
07-10-11, 22:17
Yeah e-cigs are ok. You still need willpower to reduce though, I tend to use mines at night instead of a normal one. I have absolutely zero plans for this weekend which is cool with me! :-) I got the complete Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em on DVD this afternoon so gonna enjoy some of that. :-)

I just got tweeted by Jonathon Ross! How cool is that? :-p

xxxx

VickiS
07-10-11, 22:28
I have no willpower whatsoever when it comes to my cigs lol, I gave up coffee,tea,fizzy drinks etc but I refuse to give up smoking just now hehe. Ive been having a lazy night tonight, I'm so tired for some reason, but I can't sleep :-s After my dads tomoz I'm sitting on my lazy ass and doing nowt lol
Some mother do 'ave 'em is great :) enjoy watching them.

Jonathon Ross!!! Really?? That's great :) I'm bloody useless with twitter haha!!
xxxx

GlenyD
08-10-11, 12:19
Yeah hehehe. :-) The actual man himself. :-) It's mainly only for trying to talk to celebrities that site and sometimes getting a wee reply. :-p

Enjoy "sitting on your lazy ass and doing nowt"!I plan on doing the same 'cept with my lazy ass. :-p

xxx

VickiS
08-10-11, 21:10
Haha so much for my lazy day :( that's me just back from my dads :-O which is actually quite awesome. It's the longest I've spent out the house in 2 years :) im so tired now though, so I've got my jammies on and lying in bed watching tv :) I'm really chuffed with myself for today.

I hope you managed to get to sit on your lazy arse :-P hehe xxxx

GlenyD
08-10-11, 21:35
Well done you. :-) I did, yes! :-p And I got to sleep too. :-p Ace. xxx

Dizzy_Dave
09-10-11, 10:09
I've read this thread and am wondering, if you feel that Diazepam works and makes your life bearable to live, why come off it and go on to another drug or come off it and feel worse? I would stick with what works no matter how long I have to be on it, life is a game, we have to get through it the best way we can.

GlenyD
09-10-11, 13:16
Not our decision Dave. Doctors want you off it ASAP for some reason. It's not meant to be that great for you long term. You also become habituated to it and need more and more for the same effect. But to be honest with you, I think there's more to it than just that.

Dizzy_Dave
09-10-11, 13:45
Not our decision Dave. Doctors want you off it ASAP for some reason. It's not meant to be that great for you long term. You also become habituated to it and need more and more for the same effect. But to be honest with you, I think there's more to it than just that.

I've known people to be on Diazepam all their life with no problems. I think it's all about money as usual, the Doctors get kick backs for pushing certain drugs on to their patients from the drug companies. They stick you on a much cheaper drug with bad side effects, collect their bonuses...we live in a caring society.

eight days a week
09-10-11, 14:19
I've read this thread and am wondering, if you feel that Diazepam works and makes your life bearable to live, why come off it and go on to another drug or come off it and feel worse? I would stick with what works no matter how long I have to be on it, life is a game, we have to get through it the best way we can.

I think it's a mixture of:

a) for many, if not most, people once you build tolerance to a dose you need more and more to get the 'beneficial' effects

b) it's quickly addictive, and withdrawal can be tougher than heroin according to some experts

c) it can be abused

d) there was a lot of negative publicity about its addictive qualities and abuse potential

e) a lot of pressure/advertising from the pharmaceutical industry that their new (i.e. patented, more expensive and more profitable) products like SSRIs and the like are better (to be fair they are non-abuseable, and said to be non-addictive - though I don't buy that myself)

Diazepam's a very cheap drug, and I use just a bit every day, so it works for me, but it did take a long time to come down from a much higher level (where the SEs were quite unpleasant - I was basically in a haze all day long).

VickiS
09-10-11, 14:55
I agree with eight days. Diaz is fine for short term use but ive been on it fir years and I think it has essentially made me worse. It worked great to start with, but then you have to take higher doses to get the same affect, and they reckon that Diaz has contributed to my agoraphobia (prolonged use of benzos can cause it) I have never been agoraphobic before. Anyways I think although I feel awful with each reduction once I get used to it I actually feel better within myself, if that makes any sense lol.

Glen haha good for you :) I'm having a lazy Sunday lying in bed dozing on and off :-p I'm still loaded with the cold so I'm making that my excuse haha, now all I need is a maid to do my housework and someone to cook my dinner and I'm sorted lol. xxxx

eight days a week
09-10-11, 15:11
Ah yes Vicki, I developed agoraphobia after starting on it - I have no idea if they're connected but at the doses I was on (10-16mg daily) I felt pretty sedated all day and further disconnected from the world.

I guess some people don't get bad side effects but I did. One of the worst for me is that although you feel like you sleep deeply on it, it's actually messing up the quality of your sleep and you just don't feel the benefit the next day.

I feel much more like myself now on a small dose :)

Anyway, hope all are well, and that you feel better from your cold soon Vicki :)

GlenyD
09-10-11, 23:18
Odd. It's totally helped me with my agoraphobia. I had my agora before I started on it though. :-s If it's cheap and does me no damage then to be quite honest I'd rather stick on a dose of around 14mgs a day forever! However, I doooo tend to sleep most of the day. So maybe that's not such a great call. :-) However - I looooove sleep. Once you've gone a week or more solid without any you appreciate it like never before and never take it for granted again.

VickiS
11-10-11, 11:24
Eight days :) it's apparently been proven that prolonged use of benzos can cause agoraphobia :( the sleeping things always been a problem for me too, constantly tired all the time, I dont sleep as much now on a smaller dose but my quality of sleep is much better :)

Glen how long have you been on Diaz? It's great that it helps you with your agoraphobia. It really did help my anxiety for a while and I think it helps a lot of people on a short term basis but it does more damage in the long run.

Hope you're having a good day, I'm off back to bed lol xxx

GlenyD
11-10-11, 21:36
I've been on it for just over a year now Vikki. I do sleep a lot too likes. Most of the day and all of the night. No partying - just sleeping. lol. Day has been ok. Did nothing apart from my 2 hours voluntary work. Hope you've had a good one. xxx

VickiS
11-10-11, 21:50
Ahh cool :) you should still be at the stage where it's working well for you then :-D the sleeping done my head in lol I was always a sleepy head :-p you can have a good full nights sleep and still feel tired all the next day :(

I've had an ok day, think I might need to go to the docs, this cold ain't for shifting and I think I may have tonsillitis too :( xxx

haz
11-10-11, 23:47
My current psychiatrist and my previous one were both adamant that diazepam was an important part of my treatment. I take it alongside sertraline. My diagnosis is Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia/GAD/Severe Recurrent depression.

I'm happy to take it as it works well for me. However, I will NEVER take more than my prescribed dose no matter how bad I'm feeling, although I am allowed to do so, I'm VERY STRICT with myself about that. I don't feel "addicted" to it but I am aware that I would most probably suffer withdrawals if I stopped it abruptly as opposed to gradually cutting it down. But the same would happen with my SSRI.

I live in an area of Glasgow with a high population of drug misuse so I don't think my GP would prescribe it indefinitely if it hadn't been prescribed by my psychiatrist. In fact there is a notice on the wall in my GP's surgery stating that "THIS PRACTICE HAS A NON-DIAZEPAM PRESCRIBING POLICY".

In my opinion, as long as you take it exactly as prescribed it can be very beneficial to anxiety sufferers (by this I mean people whose life is disrupted by their anxiety).

Regards.

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

P.S. It has helped me loads with my agoraphobia and it doesn't make me sleepy all the time, just brings me down to a "normal" level. Maybe I'm just really wired!!:) or weird :D!!!

VickiS
12-10-11, 11:38
Hi Haz

I can understand that it helps with anxiety, it helped me and was my "miracle drug" for a long time :) however once you have been on Diaz for a long time things start to change. I never took more than I was prescribed either but it doesn't make a difference, you may not feel addicted but you are.

Withdrawals from SSRIs are nothing like diazepam, coming off of this drug us pretty horrific at times, trust me I'm still going through it now.

I'm glad it's helping you atm, it does for a while, but over time it stops becoming as effective as it is just now, and then you're faced with a choice to either increase your dosage or come off them (most docs will make you come off them eventually anyway) and then you're in a hard place. I used to recommend Diaz for anxiety sufferers, but after many years and the experience I now have I would say only use it in a crisis situation and only for a short time.

All the best

xhyperyogix
12-10-11, 23:06
Hey all!

I thought Id' ask my question here as you guys seem to be the benzo experts, so sorry to hijack the thread!! Vicki how long do you think it took (yrs??) to get addicted and them to stop working, and start doing damage??

I ask because I have been on temazepam (benzo for insomnia) for 6 months, and was very worried about being dependant etc, - doc keeps reassuring me i won't get addicted and it's safe with what I'm taking. In fact I took a month off last month to prove myself right, and I just went hyper again (which was very fun, but not a good idea to let it go on too long i know). So, anyway, I saw doc last week who practically made me promise to take it 2-3 times a week (on the SAME days / times so in a routine) i.e Monday, Weds, Fri until, well ever I guess since she put it on repeat and was happy that i am anx-free (whihc is of course very very good!).

So anyway, my doc is VERY good and managed to get me out of a right old crisis, so i do trust her. She also used to be a psychiatrist, so should know what she's doing (she's only 30 or so, so shouldn't be old school, just giving out drugs!). I just don't want to end up mucking myself up with benzos for years.

PS yes, whoever posted about diazepam being more-ish, I completely agree!!! And I too, never ever got sleepy the next day (even on the temazepam - they only have effect for 4 hrs on me - wired and weird, most definately!!!)

Lots of love,

Hyper xx

VickiS
13-10-11, 10:17
Hey Hyper :)

I dont have ant experience with temazepam at all so I can only tell you about the Diaz, hope it helps. I honestly don't know how long it as before I was addicted because I took the same dosage at the same time every day. However after a couple of years on Diaz I was taken into hospital for a small operation, the doctors in there knew what medication I was on and when I was supposed to take it, the 2nd day I was in they forgot to give me my Diaz and I felt really awful... once we sorted it out the doc in the hospital told me it was my body craving the Diaz because I was addicted.

At this point they were still working for me so I continued to take them (with the opinion if they help who cares) after about 5 years on them, and a load if dosage changes they weren't as effective as they used to be but still helped a little. 7 years after being on Diaz I crashed and burned, they stopped working completely and left me agoraphobic, scared to leave the house and communicate with the outside world. I struggled on like that for 2 years because I was scared to go to my GP, I thought I had just lost it completely, I think those were the worst years of my life, worse than when I was first diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder :(

Earlier this year I reached breaking point and went to see my doc, that's when he told me the damage was done with the Diaz and I was only going to keep getting worse until I was off them completely. He started me on citalopram and on a tapering programme with diazepam. Its been pretty tough going and I'm stuck on 5mg just now, I'll reduce again once I'm comfortable but I feel more like me again, I manage to leave the house :) while I'm nowhere near "better" I know I'm getting there.

Sorry for the long explanation lol

xhyperyogix
13-10-11, 22:54
Hey Vicki, thanks so much for your long explanation. It's extremely helpful, and I feel much better informed about what I'm doing now.

I'm also so sorry you've suffered so much from something that used to help. Some kind of awful reverse med-payback thing!!! And I think you're so brave to be coming off them after all these years knowing the rough ride you're in for. 5mg seems from my limited knowledge not much to be left stuck on so congratulations!!:yahoo:

As for me I do feel reassured for the moment that I'll trust my doc. I'll certainly not take them 2 days in a row. From what she's told me all benzos do sort of the same thing, just at different potency and duration of effect. e.g diaz is less potent but lasts for ages (good for anx), and temaz is more potent but wears off very quickly (good for sleep). So, hopefully my body is clear of it between doses. :yesyes:

The incredibly odd thing is that having had a month break (to prove to myself I wasn't addicted) now they seem to have so little effect on me. I'd have expected if any tolerence had built up then they would be more effective. I said that to my counsillor today and she just said i was so hyper that my body wasn't even letting them in!!! But apparently if I give it time, they will work again!!!

So, on that note, I'm off to bed (oh the routine!!), (without any temaz as it's not the right night lol!!)

Keep strong all!

Hyper xxx

haz
13-10-11, 23:19
Hey Hyper :)

I dont have ant experience with temazepam at all so I can only tell you about the Diaz, hope it helps. I honestly don't know how long it as before I was addicted because I took the same dosage at the same time every day. However after a couple of years on Diaz I was taken into hospital for a small operation, the doctors in there knew what medication I was on and when I was supposed to take it, the 2nd day I was in they forgot to give me my Diaz and I felt really awful... once we sorted it out the doc in the hospital told me it was my body craving the Diaz because I was addicted.

At this point they were still working for me so I continued to take them (with the opinion if they help who cares) after about 5 years on them, and a load if dosage changes they weren't as effective as they used to be but still helped a little. 7 years after being on Diaz I crashed and burned, they stopped working completely and left me agoraphobic, scared to leave the house and communicate with the outside world. I struggled on like that for 2 years because I was scared to go to my GP, I thought I had just lost it completely, I think those were the worst years of my life, worse than when I was first diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder :(

Earlier this year I reached breaking point and went to see my doc, that's when he told me the damage was done with the Diaz and I was only going to keep getting worse until I was off them completely. He started me on citalopram and on a tapering programme with diazepam. Its been pretty tough going and I'm stuck on 5mg just now, I'll reduce again once I'm comfortable but I feel more like me again, I manage to leave the house :) while I'm nowhere near "better" I know I'm getting there.

Sorry for the long explanation lol

Hi Vikki,

Am I right in thinking that you were only ever treated with diazepam for anxiety by your GP for ten years?? Or have I got this wrong?

Haz. x

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Hey all!

I thought Id' ask my question here as you guys seem to be the benzo experts, so sorry to hijack the thread!! Vicki how long do you think it took (yrs??) to get addicted and them to stop working, and start doing damage??

I ask because I have been on temazepam (benzo for insomnia) for 6 months, and was very worried about being dependant etc, - doc keeps reassuring me i won't get addicted and it's safe with what I'm taking. In fact I took a month off last month to prove myself right, and I just went hyper again (which was very fun, but not a good idea to let it go on too long i know). So, anyway, I saw doc last week who practically made me promise to take it 2-3 times a week (on the SAME days / times so in a routine) i.e Monday, Weds, Fri until, well ever I guess since she put it on repeat and was happy that i am anx-free (whihc is of course very very good!).

So anyway, my doc is VERY good and managed to get me out of a right old crisis, so i do trust her. She also used to be a psychiatrist, so should know what she's doing (she's only 30 or so, so shouldn't be old school, just giving out drugs!). I just don't want to end up mucking myself up with benzos for years.

PS yes, whoever posted about diazepam being more-ish, I completely agree!!! And I too, never ever got sleepy the next day (even on the temazepam - they only have effect for 4 hrs on me - wired and weird, most definately!!!)

Lots of love,

Hyper xx

Hi Hyper,

I'm not on temazepam but my boyfriend is. I'm on Zopiclone (some doctors will tell you it's not addictive, but it is, the effect lessens and you can't stop it abruptly). Different benzos have different half lives, for example diazepam has quite a long half life which means it stays in your system for longer than some of the others. My psych says 2-3 days. This is why people who are addicted to benzos with a shorter half life i.e. leave your system more quickly e.g. lorazepam are switched to diazepam as part of their withdrawal process to minimize side effects. Ask your GP about the half life of temazepam.

I halved my zopiclone and reduced my diazepam by 2.5mg off my own back after a 3 month hospital admission last Nov/Dec/Jan. I'm now on 12.5mg diazepam daily and 3.75mg zopiclone but I too skip my zopiclone a few nights a week just to test myself for addication. Sometimes I toss and turn and other nights I sleep like a baby??

Regards.

Haz

eight days a week
13-10-11, 23:54
...Different benzos have different half lives, for example diazepam has quite a long half life which means it stays in your system for longer than some of the others. My psych says 2-3 days. This is why people who are addicted to benzos with a shorter half life i.e. leave your system more quickly e.g. lorazepam are switched to diazepam as part of their withdrawal process to minimize side effects. Ask your GP about the half life of temazepam...

Hey haz :)

Sorry for snipping your post, I think the most important thing to say is really well done for reducing your meds :) I think diazepam stays in you for a long while, but the actual effects you feel are quite short (for me only between 1-3 hours after 2/4 mg). But, if you took 4mg of another benzo you would be affected for longer (but it would be out of your body quicker)?

haz
14-10-11, 00:05
Thanks Eight Days,

I got a row from my psychiatrist for only taking one diazepam a day, maybe two the next or three (which was what I was meant to be taking) depending on whether I thought I needed them or not. He said I needed to keep my dose "stable" because of the long half life diazepam has?

I though I was being sensible only taking it on an as required basis :shrug: but they're the experts when it comes to medication I suppose?

Regards.

Haz.x

VickiS
14-10-11, 09:25
Hi Haz :)

My GP tried various other medication, Diaz was a last resort, we had tried various beta blockers, armatriptaline, seroxat, lustral, Prozac etc as well as CBT, breathing technics and hypnotherapy but nothing seemed to work for me :( If I remember right the Diaz was to get me through a crisis situation (my mum was very ill and I was her carer) but when the it really helped they left me on it.

Hope everyone has a great day xx

Glen how's things with you? Haven't heard from you in a few days, hope alls ok xxx

haz
14-10-11, 13:13
Ah I see, I thought for a horrible moment they had just stuck you on it before trying anything else. I've been on all the medications you menioned (and then some!) except for the beta blockers cos I have asthma. Seroxat worked wonders for me for 14 years but then unfortunately stopped.

You've done really well to reduce your diazepam. I'm thinking of reducing mine by another 0.5mg soon but my main goal is to stop my zopiclone completely first. When I was on seroxat I could sleep 12 hours straight no bother at all!

Regards.

Haz.x

Alabasterlyn
14-10-11, 13:28
I am a bit late catching up with this thread and have found it very interesting. I was prescribed Librium, which is very similar to Valium as it also has a long half life. This was back in 1980 and I have been on it ever since :ohmy:

Like many other people on benzos long term I am agoraphobic, although I was already a bit agoraphobic when I started taking the Librium, but it definitely has got much worse whilst on it. Unlike others though my GP hasn't really tried to get me off these meds and I think only on one occasion did a Locum mention that it wasn't good to be on them.

My own personal feelings on benzos are that they are very addictive, despite some people thinking if you stay on the same dose you are not addicted. I have taken the same dose since 1980 and of course I am addicted to them. The only reason some of the medical profession don't help with people getting off these awful meds is that they don't have the resources or knowledge to give the help that is needed. Far easier to leave people addicted to something than have to spend time actually trying to help them and admitting that the GP who prescribed them in the first place should have known better.

I have read the Ashton Manual and think it's very good, but so many GP's won't take notice of the advice in it and think you can wean off them far quicker than is advisable.

There is a very good forum called Benzo Island that offers support for people trying to wean off benzos, not sure if anyone has mentioned it before but I believe there is a link to it on the Benzo.org site.

GlenyD
14-10-11, 21:04
Hey Vikki - yeah I'm ok thanks. :-) Heheh. You can catch me in the chat room most nights. :-) Not been up to much. No great news to report. :-) Hope you're well too. xxx

VickiS
14-10-11, 22:12
Same lol, not been doing much at all, I dont really use the chat as I'm always on my phone lol xxx

eight days a week
14-10-11, 22:30
I am a bit late catching up with this thread and have found it very interesting. I was prescribed Librium, which is very similar to Valium as it also has a long half life. This was back in 1980 and I have been on it ever since :ohmy:

Like many other people on benzos long term I am agoraphobic, although I was already a bit agoraphobic when I started taking the Librium, but it definitely has got much worse whilst on it. Unlike others though my GP hasn't really tried to get me off these meds and I think only on one occasion did a Locum mention that it wasn't good to be on them.

My own personal feelings on benzos are that they are very addictive, despite some people thinking if you stay on the same dose you are not addicted. I have taken the same dose since 1980 and of course I am addicted to them. The only reason some of the medical profession don't help with people getting off these awful meds is that they don't have the resources or knowledge to give the help that is needed. Far easier to leave people addicted to something than have to spend time actually trying to help them and admitting that the GP who prescribed them in the first place should have known better.

I have read the Ashton Manual and think it's very good, but so many GP's won't take notice of the advice in it and think you can wean off them far quicker than is advisable.

There is a very good forum called Benzo Island that offers support for people trying to wean off benzos, not sure if anyone has mentioned it before but I believe there is a link to it on the Benzo.org site.

Brilliant post Ala, thanks so much, this will surely help a lot of people who come across this thread in future!! :)

xhyperyogix
15-10-11, 09:56
hey haz, thanks for your reply too. I think temaz is a short half life....and yeah my doc is all about the dose being same amount same days etc, so maybe best to keep levels stable..... I also think it is psychological too, as I know I am better in general when I have a good routine going.

also thanks all for this thread. I think its important we are informed about what meds do.

have a great weekend all Xx

hyper x

haz
15-10-11, 12:02
hey haz, thanks for your reply too. I think temaz is a short half life....and yeah my doc is all about the dose being same amount same days etc, so maybe best to keep levels stable..... I also think it is psychological too, as I know I am better in general when I have a good routine going.

also thanks all for this thread. I think its important we are informed about what meds do.

have a great weekend all Xx

hyper x

You're welcome. But please remember I'm not a doctor although I'm happy to pass on my own doctors opinions. Always best to check with your own. :)

Take care. x

VickiS
15-10-11, 20:58
Good to see others posting here :) hope you're all having a good weekend

I'm having a bit of a blip :( I know it won't last though and I'm staying focused on getting better :) here's hoping for a relaxing Saturday night and a good sleep before I start my day tomorrow. xxx

nicola1980
15-10-11, 22:11
Hi Vicki, just wondered how u were getting on taking citalopram and coming off the diazepam now? ive been on cit nearly 5 weeks and taking diazepam for around 10 weeks but only needing 4mg a day now sometimes only 2mg!
Nicola xx

VickiS
15-10-11, 22:55
Hi Nicola

I'm getting on good thanks :) I'm down to 5mg of Diaz a day now and 20mg of cit. I'm not sure I'm getting the full benefit of cit yet due to the Diaz withdrawals, I suppose it just takes time and I'm pretty confident about it all.

That's great that you don't need as much now :) you're better off with as little as possible. Have a good weekend xx

VickiS
17-10-11, 20:10
Heyy guys :) docs again tomorrow for me, let's see how I get on this time lol

How's everyone getting on? xxx

nicola1980
17-10-11, 21:14
Hey good luck tomo hun! ive had an awful day, upped to 30mg on fri and whow today my anxiety and restless has been thro the roof and the rteching has started agin :weep: i was so dissapointed in myself too as i needed to take 4 diazepam thro out the day as i was so bad and ive not needed that amount for weeks now :weep: let us know how u get on at the docs xxx

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

only 2mg ones tho!! xx

GlenyD
18-10-11, 16:32
Hope Docs went well Vikki. Sorry to read your post nicola. :-( 30mgs. Wow, that's tons. I'd be asleep all day on that I reckons. Don't be sad. It will pick up I'm sure. :-)

I'm doing ok. :-) Just the usual.

xxxx

VickiS
18-10-11, 22:48
Heyy guys, I got on great at the docs thanks :) she's been really nice and wants me to just take things slow.

Nicola I know how tough things must be just now, but you're getting there :)

Glen how's things? Have you started reducing yet? I'm bored of my PS3 games and need more suggestions lol

xxxx

GlenyD
20-10-11, 22:47
Hey Vikki yeah I've started trying to reduce. I'm not doing great with it I must say. It's so hard breaking my stupid habits. And it is just that - habit. Get Batman Arkhum City!!! I got it today. It's ammmazzzzing. And Deus Ex Human Revolution is ace too. :-p xxx

VickiS
22-10-11, 12:58
Heyyy Glen :-) I know what you mean about habit, I'm still having to double check myself every day so I don't take my old dosage lol, you'll get used to it though. I'm going game shopping this week so I'll keep an eye out for those ones ;)

I promised myself I would catch up on all my housework today, but im feeling pretty lazy so it's on hold hehe, hope you have a good weekend xxxx

GlenyD
24-10-11, 13:27
Hellos again. :-) I did have a pretty good weekend thanks. Hope you did too. I was at a party on Saturday night - that was alreet. :-) Other than that just took it easy. Now what you mean about taking the old dosage. :-s Hehe. We are dodgy! :-p xxx

VickiS
25-10-11, 08:40
Haha we are that :-p docs again for me today, feel like I spend half my time there lol, I'm really looking forward to today, kids go back to school and I've got hardly any work to do, this last week had been a nightmare with school holidays and trying to keep the kids amused :( I need peace and quiet for a few hours :O that sounds awful :( I love them to bits but I'm stressed

Hope you have a good day :) xxxx

GlenyD
25-10-11, 11:20
I don't have kids so I can only imagine how much they'd get on me wick. :-p Hee hee. :-) I'm off to my volunteering thing today so it should be cool - hope you have a good one too. xxx

VickiS
26-10-11, 12:24
I had such a peaceful day with no kids lol, they made up for it when they came home though... They were extra hyper :O back to the grindstone today, got a pile if work sitting here that ive been putting off hehe. Hope you had a good day :) xxxx

GlenyD
30-10-11, 14:00
Hey there. :-) I probably did have an alright day. :-p I had one yesterday anyway - spent all night playing Batman Arkhum City - twas ace. :-) xxx

VickiS
30-10-11, 14:38
Haha sound like a great day to me :) I had a Halloween party and then went to bed to scare myself watching Halloween :) was pretty useless though I remember it being much scarier when I was younger, now I just thought it was a bit pathetic tbh :(

I'm having a well lazy say today lol, got up early and done the housework so ive jumped back into bed to read :-p I love days like this hehe

Hope you're having a nice chilled out Sunday xxx

GlenyD
02-11-11, 00:10
Hey. :-) I had an ok weekend. :-) I'm seeing my shrink tomorrow. :-s I'm meant to be down to 10mgs again by now but I reckon I'm still taking about 12. Fook me. :-( Just gonna be honest with her and tell her I think and feel I need it to keep on an even keel. And I'm not too happy about reducing yet. I don't know how it will go down. I think she'll push me to still reduce. Sigh. I hate being addicted. xxx

VickiS
04-11-11, 19:59
Hey Glen

How did it go with your shrink? Sorry for the late reply I'm in my bed with tonsillitis :( I feel like I'm always bloody ill lol. So not been up to much at all, hope you're doing good xxx

GlenyD
06-11-11, 14:56
Hey Vikki - yeah it went ok thanks. :-) I only took 10mgs yesterday. :-) Felt ok too! :-p Think I'm weirdly getting a better quality sleep on less at night. :-s An unexepected result. It's like I fall properly asleep faster and dreams kick in quicker. So all in all all's going to plan nows. :-) Bloomin tonsilitis! Never had it myself - hope it goes away real quicks! :-) Get well soons!

xxx

VickiS
07-11-11, 23:38
Hey Glen

Well done on reducing :) you're doing really well, I found that about sleep too, I get a much better quality if sleep on less Diaz ( once my body adjusts to the reduction lol) I'm still in my bed feeling rotten :( think I'll need to ask the doc for more anti-biotics... Bleh lol. Managed to sit up fir a bit tonight and watch the verdict on the MJ trial, well chuffed like :) xxx

GlenyD
09-11-11, 12:48
Yeah - that's good. I'm glad Conrad was found guilty. Not that I am an MJ fan in particular I just fink he done it. :-p Thanks. I am going to have to order my next batch of meds a little early, but hoping they don't notice - hehehe. Or else it's cold turkey for me! :-0 Arghg. hee hee. xxx

VickiS
18-11-11, 11:47
Hiya Glenny :) did you get your meds ok? I haven't been online in ages :( flaming hub stopped working and it took BT ages to fix it, ive been well stressed out lol. How's things been? I've finally managed to get down to 4mg a day now but but not doing too well :( aww well I'll settle down again (soon I hope haha)

Have a good weekend xxxx

GlenyD
19-11-11, 16:57
Hey Vikki. Sorry to hear you've not been feeling too great with the reduction, I got my meds fine. :-) Delighted. Rubbish about your net not working. :-( Stoopid net. I'm doing alright likes. Just having a quiet weekend this weekend - not been on here for a while either. Been all distracted. xxxx

VickiS
01-01-12, 12:37
Hey everyone

Sorry I haven't been around in a while, life's been really hectic.
How have you been? All doing good I hope :)
Hope you all had a great Christmas and Happy New Year, may 2012 be better for all of us

Xxx

GlenyD
01-01-12, 15:50
Hey there Vicki - Happy New Year to you too - hope you had a nice Chrimbo. :-) I'm ok thanks - started meditating! ooh yeah. Pretty cool. :-p Hope you have a lovely new year too. :-) xxx

VickiS
02-01-12, 13:49
Hiya Glen :)

I had a good Xmas and new year thanks... That's great you can meditate :) I've tried it but can't seem to get myself into " the zone"

How are you getting on with your reduction? I'm down to 3mg a day, slowly getting there lol, had a few panic attacks over the festive period but managed to cope with them not too badly :) hopefully I'm getting there

xxxx

GlenyD
02-01-12, 15:21
Hey Vicki - I've had no further reductions yet so still on 10mgs a day at the moment. Should be coming down to 9 sometime early this year I think...we shall see. :-p Yeah I'm finding the meditation really helpful. It's mantra-style, not chanting but just thinking the mantra and chilling. At first I was restless and fidgety but that has passed and now I just seem to be really deeply relaxed and refreshed by it. Hopeful about it's long-term benefits. Glad you had a nice festive season. :-)

xxx

frazefast
11-01-12, 00:18
Hi all. 35 year old male wanting to come off Diazepam. I've been on 8mg a day for 11 years for panic disorder/anxiety and tried to taper off very slowly a couple of years ago (as shown on the first page of this thread) but felt awful when down to 2mg so went back to 8mg. My reasoning being 8mg isnt a lot and better than that hell. But I don't want to be drug dependent so here we go again...........

GlenyD
13-01-12, 15:18
I'm totally with you frazefast. I'm not finding any kind of reduction nice at all. :-s And it IS better than that hell as you say I reckon too. It's a bloody nightmare. The one drug that works and they all say it's bad. Why can't they adjust it and make it good? DAmmit, they've had long enough to work on it. I've taken up deep meditation and stuff and that seems to be helping some. I don't mind being drug dependent as long as I can always get my drugs. :-s

Hope you do ok.

VickiS
29-01-12, 15:49
Hey hope you're doing ok :) I'm finally down to 2mg a day, I would love to say it's been easy but I'm not that good a liar lol. Some days have been ok and other days I've been so close to giving up, but I'm sticking with it and slowly but surely getting there :)

I don't think I could even have contemplated coming off at all without the citalopram. Anyone else put there in the same situation I would say if you're in the right mind frame then go for it, but do it at your own pace and don't let the doc force you into it too quickly. Im now at the stage where I'm happy that I'm getting somewhere in becoming free from Diaz but I'm having a nightmare sleeping :( hey ho such is life xxxx

DrGonzo
31-01-12, 16:33
Good afternoon all, new member here,

I've just finished reading all 16 pages of this thread and wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone.

I don't really know what to say about my predicament. I'm 26 and I've been on 15mg's of Diazepam per day for a year now. They were initially prescribed to help with anxiety. I was also prescribed Mirtazapine to help with insomnia. At first everything was going great, the Mirtazapine at lower doses really helped with my insomnia and the Diazepam enabled me to actually go to the shop by myself. I was over the moon! After almost 3 years of not being able to go into a shop without having a crippling panic attack I was gaining some independence again.

After about 6 months my Doctor kept pushing for me to do CBT and that I should be tapering off the Diazepam. All was going well for a while, I went down for 15mg to 10mg relatively easily. Didn't notice any increase in anxiety, and was quite happy to continue to taper off.

Then I was hit with the news about the new Local Housing Allowance changes coming into effect this year. Basically I'll be forced out of my flat and have to look for Shared Accommodation. This made my stress levels and in turn my anxiety levels shoot through the roof. I started using more Diazepam than prescribed, until I found myself taking 50mg's daily, 25mg in the morning and another 25mg in the evening just to get some peace and if I'm lucky be able to get to sleep too.

Yes I know I'm foolish for doing this, and I'm aware it's my own fault for letting it get out of control. I've managed to taper down to 30mg per day in just 2 weeks with no ill effects (so far) My main problem is I'm quickly running out of enough tablets to sustain my current use.

So I was hoping maybe some of you could offer me some advice about how to approach my Doctor about the mess I've gotten myself into. She thinks I'm still on 10mg's per day. I get the feeling she's already pissed off with me as it is. I'm dreading my appointment on Thursday. Please help!

I hope you are all doing well,

DrGonzo

VickiS
01-02-12, 00:58
Hi there

Sorry to hear you've got yourself into a bad way with the Diaz :( it is so easy to do because it does help a lot in the initial stages. I think you're going to have to be completely honest with your GP and let her know how bad things have got. Tell her how crippling your anxiety was and that you now know it was silly to up your dosage of diazepam, you realise that and have managed to wean yourself back down a bit but need her guidance and support to keep you going.

I hope it goes well for you xx

DrGonzo
01-02-12, 19:29
Hey Vicki,

Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and be honest with the Doc. It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't come across so judgemental.

I'm going to try not to worry about it until tomorrow. Will see what she has to say.

Have a good night

VickiS
04-02-12, 15:34
Hey there

How did you get on with your doc? Hopefully everything went well for you.

I found a lot of GPs are judgemental when it comes to diazepam (you might as well be some druggie off the street as far as half of them are concerned) it took me ages to find a GP who doesn't judge but is still quite firm in her opinions and what a difference it makes to the recovery process

Have a great Saturday :) xxx

cathycrumble
04-02-12, 17:21
I have been taking it 2mg once a day or 2mg twice a day and I feel no matter what the dose you can still become addicted I have decided to stop it. Was wandering can you shake if you dont take it. I have been taking prozac for the last 30 days and was on them for help with starting them but I have been taking diazipam on and of for a while and i feel it's best to stop them and as I said I am shaking abit today.

Any advice please?

Cathy xx

VickiS
04-02-12, 18:58
Hi Cathy

Unfortunately shaking is one of the withdrawal symptoms :( although you only take a small dosage it's still more than likely that you are addicted. How you stop taking them is entirely up to you but if it was me I would only cut out a very small amount at a time (ie i only reduce my dosage by a quarter of a tablet at a time now as the lower down the dose I get I seem to feel the withdrawals much more)

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing, and remember it can be done. I'm really proud of myself that I've went from 14mg to 2mg so far :) xx

cathycrumble
04-02-12, 19:47
VickiS and so you should be Oh my I bet you have been through it? Do you think I should take half of the 2mg then a 1/4 then nothing? Or just stop and see how I go.

I also had a drink when I took them if it was a weekend. How bad have I been. lol

How many days would you taper off like how many days would you take half then a 1/4 and so on?

Cathy xx

VickiS
04-02-12, 20:12
Hi Cathy

I have to admit it's not been easy but well worth it if you ask me :)

You know yourself better than anyone and what you're able to cope with. I started off reducing a whole tablet at a time but once you get lower down it's best to reduce by a small amount for minimum withdrawals. Now I reduce by 1/4 every 2 weeks if I'm having a hard time I'll stay there a bit longer until I'm comfortable.

Lol I think we all do things we're not supposed to, such is life

All the best Cathy xx

DrGonzo
05-02-12, 11:14
Hey there

How did you get on with your doc? Hopefully everything went well for you.

I found a lot of GPs are judgemental when it comes to diazepam (you might as well be some druggie off the street as far as half of them are concerned) it took me ages to find a GP who doesn't judge but is still quite firm in her opinions and what a difference it makes to the recovery process

Have a great Saturday :) xxx

Morning, Vicki.

Surprisingly everything went pretty good, thanks for asking. I was just up-front about the mess I'd got myself into and told her how I'd tapered down 20mg's by myself without too much trouble. She wasn't best pleased, but at least she understood that it does happen.

So, she's put me on a pretty rapid taper down to where I was at to start with, which was 10mg's. I've been prescribed 30mg's for seven days, 25mg's for 5 days, so on and so-forth until I'm back down to 10, or 15mg's can't quite remember, lol. A least I'm not in a constant state of panic thinking I've got no Meds.

Funnily enough we had a decent chat about the history of Benzo's and how they were supposed to be the cure all with no chance of addiction, (how wrong were the pharmaceutical companies!) Then again they're not really concerned with the patient, we're all just pound signs in this flawed system.

So, anyway, enough rambling from me. How's everybody else doing?

We've got about 3"s of snow here in Derbyshire, what's it like where you are?

Have a great Sunday, and more importantly, I hope you're all doing well

DrGonzo

GoldenJenny
13-02-12, 21:17
Hi Everyone, i'm new to this site and I joined because 1, i suffer from generalized anxiety, but 2, I think i'm addicted to diazepam and i don't know what to do. I have been using it on and off for the last 5 years and 2 years ago it got really out of hand. I was taking up to the highest recommended dose a day, AND drinking alcohol. I got in states where i physically couldn't stay awake, and would literally pass out. It nearly destroyed my relationship and took a long time to re build. Needless to say my partner hates the things and hates me taking them. Recently i went back on them. I didn't ask for them, the GP offered and instead of telling him my history i just thought i'll be alight this time, i won't go mad with them like before' That was about 2 months ago, and although i have only taken small amounts (no more than 4mg at a time) the doc is now saying i should come off them and i can't bare the thought of being without them. I crave them most days and want to to take more than I do but I dare not as I'm scared I will get myself into a mess again. I just feel like they are the only thing that truley lifts my anxiety and the noise of my thoughts and gives me a break. No one I know understands this and just thinks i need to get off them ASAP. Part of me agrees, and the other part doesn't want to believe it. Can anyone help?!

VickiS
18-02-12, 21:23
Hi Jenny

I can totally relate to what you're going through :( it's a hard place to be stuck in and try and get yourself back out of, BUT it can be done. You should first speak to your GP and tell them exactly how you're feeling, honesty really does help in these kind of situations. There are other non addictive medications out there than will help better in the long run, Diaz really should only be used for a short time and not relied on as a solution.

After a long 10+ years I'm down to 1.5mg a day and I couldn't have got this far without the help of cialopram. It hasnt been easy but Im getting there.

How's everyone else doing just now? All good I hope

XxX

GoldenJenny
20-02-12, 21:35
Thank you for your words of advise Vicki, I think you're right, maybe I should tell the GP exactly what's been going through my head. The things is as well, since he told me I had to come off them I've only had 2mg in the last week and I've felt terrible. Panic attacks, mood swings, crying, depression, thoughts about suicide and CONSTANT tiredness. I don't know if these are withdrawal symptoms? Maybe I should have tapered off them but the GP didn't tell me to cut the dose slowly, and he only gave me 14 tablets and basically said 'these are your last' so I sort of felt like I had to save them for 'emergencies'.

VickiS
20-02-12, 23:12
Hi again

Yes they are all withdrawal signs that you're withdrawing to quickly, diazepam is a difficult drug to come off of in the right circumstances never mind having to drop so quickly, I would advise that you go back and speak to your GP about a tapering programme. Results have shown that you're more likey to be successful on a slow taper.

There's always someone around here to speak to should you ever need any help or just someone to talk to.

Good luck
XxX

GlenyD
25-02-12, 16:36
Sorry - I ain't been on this thread in a while! Hope you are all well. I can totally relate to that comment about wanting spare Diazepam "In case of emergencies" - I think we probably all rationalise our addiction to ourself in that way. What I really want is extra to take "when I fancy it" - isn't that silly? :-) It's a reet git to come off of though - I'm still on 10mgs a day. Seeing my Psych in a couple of months. No doubt I'll be down to 9 or so after that. Slowly slowly, catchee monkee or something. :-)

Gleny

VickiS
28-02-12, 22:42
Hi Gleny

Glad you're doing ok :) I've been struggling a bit the past week or so, so I'm going to ask the doc to keep me where I am until I settle down.
That whole having extra just in case feeling goes away as you reduce :) I don't like having any extra pills lying around to tempt me so they got heaved out lol

Hope you're all doing well xxx

GlenyD
29-02-12, 00:03
Hey thanks - I am doing ok or I was till tonight and I read the news on Sky and elsewhere about the dangers of our benzos. :-s Did you read it?? I don't want to start a panic but a new report claims we are 4.5 times more likely to die prematurely cause of the crap we've been given. :-o I'm going to phone the Dr to find out more tomorrow. ASAP. Cause if true that truly truly sucks! I can't believe it though - I mean the drug's been around for decades upon decades and if it was mega dangerous than that (more dangerous than ciggies by miles they claim) then surely someone would already have noticed? Freaked me out a bit - and I was trying to quit smoking today!! Picked the wrong damn day. :-s xxx

haz
29-02-12, 00:32
Hey thanks - I am doing ok or I was till tonight and I read the news on Sky and elsewhere about the dangers of our benzos. :-s Did you read it?? I don't want to start a panic but a new report claims we are 4.5 times more likely to die prematurely cause of the crap we've been given. :-o I'm going to phone the Dr to find out more tomorrow. ASAP. Cause if true that truly truly sucks! I can't believe it though - I mean the drug's been around for decades upon decades and if it was mega dangerous than that (more dangerous than ciggies by miles they claim) then surely someone would already have noticed? Freaked me out a bit - and I was trying to quit smoking today!! Picked the wrong damn day. :-s xxx

Dying from what though?? The article doesn't say what people are "apparently" dying FROM!

GlenyD
29-02-12, 12:05
Yeah you're right. :-s It's probably garbage. My Dad responded with "ach - everyday there's some new study that says that people who meet a frog on a Tuesday are more likely to get nose cancer or some rubbish" haha. :-) Think he's probably right on this one - I've decided to just ignore it - it freaked me out last night though - maybe cause I was stopping smoking too. :-s