PDA

View Full Version : Root Canal on Friday

Jeskah
12-06-11, 09:06
I am possitively terrified of dentist visits for any reason at all.
I lost a filling on Monday, and made an appointment with my dentist for Wednesday to have this seen to.
As I figured this would be a fairly simple filling, I decided to go to the visit on my own, for the first time ever. So proud of myself for getting in the door!
After examining me the dentist said as the filling was quite big, I would need either a root canal, or extraction. So much for my bravery! Started hyperventilating, then crying. Dentist left the room for a few minutes to give me time to calm down a little.
He recommended root canal to save the tooth. Said it would not be painful or too uncomfortable as the tooth is not infected. I was too scared to decide, so he made a booking for me on Friday to have root canal, with the option to call him and change it to extraction if I so choose.
He has also prescribed valium to take before the appointment (never taken before).

I am making myself sick with worry about the upcoming appointment, and it's keeping me awake at night.

Has anyone had this procedure done, I'm told it takes about an hour. I will be accompanied as I obviously can't drive with the valium, but the thought of going is terrifying me.

Any tips for NOT running away as soon as I get in the door?

Thanks.

jes.

mud240
12-06-11, 11:24
Try not to be to concerned about having root canal treatment its not a horrible thing to have done i know ive had it done twice and worried my self sick about it but once they got going it wasnt that bad at all infact i felt a bit of a wally for worring about it so much.
Its something you need to get done and is better that having a tooth pulled which realy would worry me so just go for it and face the fear YOU WILL BE FINE....:):yesyes:

flumpkin
12-06-11, 12:41
Hi, Try not to worry. I am petrified of the dentist (took my mum in with me until I was 30!) and I have a huge phobia of losing my teeth. I have had 3 root canals done, 2 on very large molars. It is no worse than a normal filling - it just takes a long time. My last one was also very infected but I still honestly did not feel a thing - most of the time they are just fiddling clearing the canals out and you can just lie back and think of England. :)

I always make sure my dentist (who knows I am scared) agrees I can put hand up to indicate I want to stop etc, although I have never needed to. I can't comment in extraction as the thought of that scares me silly. I also have had no probs with the teeth I have had rc'd. They have settled within a day or so - I just had mild discomfort from the fact it had been fiddled with for so long, but I could eat ok and just took paracetamol. I do understa
nd how scarey it is but trust me - I am a huge wuss at the dentist and I would still have another one done. Hugs Flumpkin xx

MardyBum
12-06-11, 13:02
I am super scared of the dentist and the thought of root canal had be awake for weeks before my appointment.

TBH is was no worse then having a filling done... I made my dentist aware of how scared I am and he was fantastic and told me to raise my hand if I wanted to stop which I never felt the need to do.

I took my iphone with some chilled out music on and plugged myself in so I couldnt hear the drills etc and the hour passed in no time xx

joans60
12-06-11, 19:35
Hi there
I have just read your post You will be fine
I am petrified of the dentists and 2 weeks ago I had to have four teeth out
I thought no I cant go ahead with it but I did I just did some deep breathing and relaxation before I went and I was fine I had them out and my dentist said to me I was great because she knows how frightened of dentists
The other thing that I did get was some rescue remedy and that also helped
Good Luck

Joanx

Jeskah
12-06-11, 21:49
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll try that rescue remedy, Joan. And I may take in some music too, I'm pretty sure he'll let me.
I don't think it's the sounds that scare me, i think it's because I can't see what he's doing, and I don't particulary like people poking in my mouth with metal objects. (that little metal pick thing is the worst!).
Had my four wisdom teeth out already, but did that under general aneasthetic, so that was easy enough as hospitals don't bother me.

Stephieee7
27-06-11, 21:41
Hi Jeskah,

I know that you posted this thread a while back and have probably had it done already, if so how did it go? but if for some reason you didn't get it done let me tell you that there is honestly 100% no need to worry about this treatment!

I had it done today. Took about 15 - 20 mins. I don't know exactly what they do, but what I will tell you is that it doesn't hurt in anyway at all. The worst part is the needle to make your mouth numb and even that is minor. I admit I was shaking and trembling with fear before having it done! but as soon as I was having it I was so relaxed that I almost fell asleep! if anything I was bored by the end! so seriously I would not worry at all about this :)