PDA

View Full Version : Self-Conscious and School Phobias

OllieM
12-06-11, 22:58
Hey,

I am 15 and I'm in secondary school. I have found that ever since I joined this school I have re-occurring scenarios of anxiety, and panic about small things my friends wouldn't worry about at all.

My main one is Toilet Phobia. We have really unclean toilets at school and hardly any available. I have got into a habit of drinking as less as I can in the morning, so I won't need to urinate so often. Then when I'm at school I need to go (even if I didn't drink anything)
When I approach the toilet door I panic and wonder if there is a school gang or any one at all in there. I just keep expecting that they will ridicule me or even worse hurt me. When I'm actually in there I can never go in the urinals if someone is next to me, and I have to go in the cubicle. Even then I can't go until the person is gone!
Public toilets aren't so bad, although they still feel daunting, I still have to go in the cubicles.

I also notice that I am quite self-conscious. When I'm talking to a girl, teacher or anyone I have to keep wondering if I have bad breath, what I should say if it's silent etc. I suppose that is quite normal, but it's still irritating and I feel like I'm concentrating on my actions other than the person..

I have many more worries but I think these are my main ones. I was just wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to overcome toilet phobia and how to stop being so self conscious, I have looked everywhere..

Thanks

sophiethestar
13-06-11, 22:15
I used to be like this, getting worried about talking to people. I was so self-conscious. I overcame this by facing my fear and talking more. I volunteered at a charity shop on a Saturday afternoon (and I still do). You meet so many people that way, and you realise that everyone has their flaws. You also learn that most people don't usually take you at face-value and do concentrate more on your kind personality rather than bad breath, akward silences etc. Volunteering really helped my communication skills and I don't suffer from Social Anxiety anymore. I don't really know how you could cure your toilet phobia, but I hope the bit of info I gave you helped a little. :) x

OllieM
13-06-11, 22:31
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll have to manage my toilet phobia and overcome it myself, but I found your advice about self concious-ness really helpful. Thank you :)