PDA

View Full Version : Dry Mouth

sophiethestar
13-06-11, 19:27
My mouth has felt really dry for the past few days. Not the whole of my mouth- only the roof of my mouth, right at the back towards my throat. Is this a symptom of anxiety, and how does anxiety cause it? Do any of you get this? x

joans60
13-06-11, 20:25
Hi there
Yes this is one sign of anxiety
I always keep a bottle of water by the side of the bed and also everywere I go I have got water
Not sure how anxiety causes dry mouth.

Joan

sophiethestar
14-06-11, 07:43
Thank you.
Now the back of my throat feels swollen and hurts to swallow. :(
x

CorneliusRuperTravis
14-06-11, 21:23
Hey Sophie :)

I think it's very possibly that anxiety can cause a dry throat. Sometimes when I get anxious I feel as though there is something stuck in my throat. Other times you may feel that you can barely swallow or that there is a kind of "tightness" in the throat, or that you have to really force yourself to swallow.

It's a bit like when people get nervous at job interviews. You often hear that people get a really dry throat and have trouble talking properly because their throat feels tight. I get like this sometimes, I think it's a kind of social anxiety, my throat "tightens" sometimes when I'm under questioning.

You might also want to consider the possibility of a very slight throat infection, because one of the very first symptoms that I start to notice when I've caught something, is a dry throat, right at the back of the mouth. And it doesn't seem to go away, no matter how much I drink.

But your case doesn't sound like anything to worry about for now, so try not to let it bother you. Just make sure you're drinking enough water and just for now you might want to stay away from caffeine and hot drinks like tea or coffee, as they can often dry the throat out or irritate it further. :) xx

sophiethestar
14-06-11, 22:07
Thanks for the information. :)
Although I am worried because I've got a rash too. I'll visit the Doctor in a few days if it doesn't go away. :)