PDA

View Full Version : Not sleeping well.....

Swallowtail
13-06-11, 22:08
Hi - as tired as I may be at night, I go to bed, then after reading to clear my mind I doze off, say about midnight, then after a few hours I wake normally between 4.30 and 5.30am, then I just clock watch until the alarm goes off. I have been told by my GP that I am suffering from Anxiety and to go back and see her in a few months. I have been hurt badly by a friend and cannot get events out of my head they just pop in there all the time! then I will be fine, until I come in contact with said person and things start up again. Can anyone suggest any ideas on what I can try to get my troubles out of my head :weep:

nhf
14-06-11, 12:25
Hi Swallowtail,

I am exactly like you - since the start of my anxiety i wake every morning at 5:05 regardless of what time i managed to fall asleep (the other night it was 1:45 and still wide awake at 5:05 :weep: )

Its very frustrating, sometimes i try to fall back to sleep but most of the time i try to distract myself by reading or watching the tv - this sometimes sends me back off to sleep for another couple of hours until its actually time to get up.

I've kinda just accepted it now as i know its all to do with the anxiety i have been suffering. xxx

Swallowtail
14-06-11, 23:18
Hi nhf... thank for your reply, I suppose there is no magic answer, hopefully things will get better, wishing you some a good nights sleep with many to follow :bighug1:

Tyke
15-06-11, 02:10
Hi Swallowtail

I went through something similar and started waking up early due to depression. I was put on Propranolol (beta-blocker) and Sertraline (anti-depressant). Unfortunately the side effects of Sertraline worsened the sleeping, but I did get much better once these effects wore off and the medication started to work properly. I think the passage of time helps the healing process too. Like nhf says, distraction like reading or watching tv helps. I also tried to get plenty of exercise during the day and listened to a relaxation CD before bed which helped a bit. Talking about what happened whether it be through counselling or with friends is also of benefit.

Tyke

Swallowtail
16-06-11, 10:12
Thank you Tyke, my sleep patter has improved a bit, may down to being very busy in last two days with work, which has helped take my mind off the cause of my recent anxiety I am going to counselling but this may be my last visit as it is very expensive, and I try not to talk about the issues too much with friends and family as I do not want to damage relationships. :D

MinnieMouse
16-06-11, 10:20
Hi

Why not try taking 5HTP which is a relaxing herbal supplement? It may help you sleep for longer. I take two an hour before bed time and it does help. Also try not to have caffeine too late in the day. I LOVE caffeine but I try not to drink it after midday if I can help it. Do you drink red wine at all? I only ask as I had one last night for the first time in ages (I used to like red but prefer white wine now) and I woke early and couldn't go back to sleep. This happens to my mum too and she doesn't have anxiety....

MMX

Swallowtail
20-06-11, 09:10
Hi MM, I will give the 5HTP a go, thank you. I do not have much caffine, 1 cup of tea in the morning, and drink caffine free diet coke and red wine and I do not get on very well! I think it is just too much stuff swimming around my head! :)

mantra
21-06-11, 22:38
I used to take 2mg of Xanax before going to bed. I found out that placing an amethyst under the pillow works just as well. I know it sounds like 'yeah right, as if that would work...', but it really does!

suzy-sue
21-06-11, 23:33
Waking up is always around 4-5AM when you are suffering with this sort of underlying anxiety .It has something to do with the bodys natural sleep rythmns .It will pass eventually ..Once you start to heal from the hurt it will become less of a problem .I have often taken Nightnurse tabs to help me sleep when im having trouble sleeping properly..and they are really good ,and non addictive like other things .If you take meds just try one tab or it could be too much taking two .A warm mug of Milk with sugar will also help, as milk contains the sleep inducing substance ,Dont drink choc as it can keep you awake ..Hope things get better for you soon and you find something that helps you ..Tc Suex:hugs: