PDA

View Full Version : taking propranolol / panic on holiday

joolz07
14-06-11, 06:53
hi all

would be greatfull for any help.
I've been ill and off work since Jan. panic/anxiety .... Dr changed me from citalopram to duloxetine. I now take 90mg Duloxetine. Dr also gave me propranolol to take for panic. I am on holiday at the moment at a friends villa and for the first week was doing 'ok'. Yesterday though the dreaded panic came back full on. I have not started the propranolol yet and was wondering if anyone has any experience of this drug as to what to expect?
obviously I'm worrying about side effects etc whilst being away! but on the other hand do not want to feel like this. dr warned me not to expect to go on hols and miraculouslybe 'cured' ..... i guess she was right.

any help/advice would be great
many thanks
Julie xx

blueangel
14-06-11, 09:01
Hi there

Propranolol helps the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic, but doesn't affect what's going on in your head. What is does is damp down the effects of adrenaline, so it slows down the pounding heart and generally makes you feel less "wobbly". I've taken them for years as they're also used to help prevent migraines.

About the only side effects I've ever had from them are odd dreams and cold hands/feet, but if you're on a low dose you probably won't notice anything much at all.

Hope this helps.

joolz07
14-06-11, 09:39
Thanks Blueangel .... I have taken a tablet (40mg). I took one my Dr said one or two morning and night. My anxiety is back to being full on again with panic atacks in between. I thought the tablets would help mpre than they have. Do you know if the build up in your system after a day or so? Maybe a rise in my Duloxetine may help somewhat too.
Thank you for replying,
Julie x

Tyke
15-06-11, 01:34
Hi Julie

I am on Propranolol and Sertraline. I don't think beta-blockers (such as Propranolol) build up in your system (unlike most anti-depressants e.g. SSRIs etc. do). Usually your doctor will tell you to increase the dose if it isn't working and it is safe to do so. If the Propranolol can't be increased, then, like you say, it might be worth seeing if you can up the Duloxetine. How long have you been on the Duloxetine? If that hasn't peaked in your system yet, you may well improve when it does anyway.

Tyke

joolz07
15-06-11, 06:26
Thanks Tyke .... I'm on 90mg Duloxetine. It was raised from 60 about maybe 5 weeks ago? I can't really remember. I was probably expecting too much I guess and expecting me to keep working for longer.
Thank you for taking the time to reply,
julie x

MardyBum
15-06-11, 10:43
ive taken them in the past last time i was poorly with panic and dr has given me them again this time...

Ive never had any side effects that I can recall x

joolz07
15-06-11, 11:00
Thank you ..... my chest seems to have tightened and i am feeling a bit shivery. Phoned my Dr but she is not in. As I am currently in Bulgaria it makes thinks a bit difficult ..... I don't know if you can just stop taking them. I've only had 3 tablets so far.
Julie x

honeyp1e
19-06-11, 18:09
i take propranolol (80mg) and i find they help didnt have any side-effects off them x x

bobby0786
21-06-11, 10:18
Hi I statred taking propranolol 8 weeks ago, although I still feel anxcious but the anxiety has not lead in to a panic attack, I normally get panic attcks whilst traveling, but on the weekend I travelled on the train thinking im going to have a panic attack but it didnt happen even though I was slightly anxcious,

I have had no side affect with propranolol.

hope this helps
Bobby

Allergyprone
22-06-11, 12:26
Has anyone any experience of being prescribed propanalol and then having an allergy problem - breathing difficulties. Now my Doc tells me that I must stop. He didn't say 'stop gradually, weaning off' - just 'stop'. I have taken 40 mg propranalol daily for about 3 years with no problems until now and was unaware that they would exacerbate any allergy related problems.

scrog80
23-06-11, 19:21
Has anyone any experience of being prescribed propanalol and then having an allergy problem - breathing difficulties. Now my Doc tells me that I must stop. He didn't say 'stop gradually, weaning off' - just 'stop'. I have taken 40 mg propranalol daily for about 3 years with no problems until now and was unaware that they would exacerbate any allergy related problems.

its always been fine for me a bit of a life saver stops all adrenaline in its tracks with me any way

joolz07
24-06-11, 09:10
I've heard of it causing breathing problems in people with asthma. It's strange though for you to have been taking it for three years without a problem. Maybe an ingredient has been added to the tablet you are allergic to??
My Dr told me not to just stop ... said I should cut them down first after I have been on them a while.

mm79
24-06-11, 10:56
I have had panic attacks for nearly 2 years now. I was initially given propanalol by the doctor. 80mg. I dont take them unless its really bad because I have breathing difficulties on them. I really have to draw for breath at times when on them. The effect is cumulative also. i.e. if you take 2 days in a row the 2nd will be worse. This is probably because I am asthmatic (very mild). But doctor said it could happen and definitley dont take if it has this effect.

Hope that helps :)

scrog80
24-06-11, 13:53
after 2-4 weeks of proponolol the shortness of breath stops with me and i go back to normal