PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss

Klonoa
14-06-11, 19:19
I had a load of blood work done at the doctors a couple of weeks ago and apparently my thyroid (and everything else) is fine.

But I've had hair loss which is steadily getting worse, for the past maybe 3/4 months now? It first started not long after I had to take Plan B (emergancy contraceptive), I don't know if it was that or all the worrying I was doing at the time (I had very bad hyperemesis that I sometimes still get nightmares over) so getting pregnant again would have been very bad.

At first it started to get better, so I didn't think any more about it, but it got worse again, with all over thinning that is most noticable at center parting (maybe 1/ or 1/2 cm?) with sporadic hair included?

All the hairs are thinner, but the thinnest are those trying to grow back.

I'm still trying to get hold of a good dermatologist, pretty much all the ones in this area clearly only care about cosmetic surgery (and have pretty bad reviews). My husband's cousin has a contact but I've had trouble getting hold of her, I have a bad feeling time is at the essence! I really, really miss the NHS.

The way it was falling out made me think of TE, but since the hairs are growing back finer isn't miniaturization part of pattern baldness? It is still continuing and naturally, like every person with hair loss it is affecting my already low self esteem/anxiety/wondering if its comming back or when it will even stop.

Oh it is also very itchy, particularly on my neck. Anti dandruff shampoo works for the first night but then it's back, occasionally the hairs hurt or is slightly tingly.

I keep holding my breath without realizing and it's driving me crazy. Breath, Klonoa, breath! >_>

Anyone else have any experience with this? I'm about to go back on birth control for my endometriosis and I've heard prozac (been on it like a week or so) can do bad things to it too. My poor hair

edit: My nails are also very soft and brittle

bottleblond
14-06-11, 19:22
Hi there

I have copied some links to other posts for you.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34166

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12582

I hope these can help in some way.

Lisa
x

Klonoa
14-06-11, 19:29
Thanks for the links! I read through some search results already, but they were mostly thyroid related.

I wish people had posted back if their hair had gotten better, maybe no news was good news?

bottleblond
14-06-11, 19:42
Well i do know of one person who no longer has the problem but i have no idea about the rest of them. Fingers crossed for you hun.

xxx

Eternity
14-06-11, 21:11
Hi
Not sure if this will help but I had alopecia a few years ago, mainly due to stress and worry over losing my nan who I was very close to. My hair is very thick and very dark and I wear it really short so it was very noticeable when it started to come out. This lasted for about six months and then gradually began to grow back. It has now all grown back and I haven't had any problems since. I'm not sure if this helps or not.
take care
T xxx

Klonoa
18-06-11, 10:46

That helps a lot! Did you find it grew back thinner before it returned to normal?

I am still losing a lot but the last couple of days I've noticed some new growth with some thicker looking strands. I'm pretty excited but my hair has a long long ways to go, I'm really hopeful though lol