PDA

View Full Version : Oh please help....

Catya
15-06-11, 09:36
I have at last got my script for Escitalopram this morning. My GP was reluctant to prescribe it because of the cost.
However, the citalopram i was given nearly sent me crazy and gave me terrible insomnia, so I stopped them.

Some questions here please....
Will they help with my hot flushes? I know they can be prescribed for this.
Do they make you gain weight? I was on Seroxat for years and gained a massive amount.
But.... mainly... will they lift me out of my pit?

Many thanks for any responses.
Katy

Catya
15-06-11, 09:50
Oh..... also...

When do most people take it? Morning or evening?
And how long to see some improvement?

Again... thanks.

Anxious-in-Canada
15-06-11, 13:12
Hi Catya,

You are asking very good questions, unfortunately no one can say how these meds will work for you. You will have to try them and see if they are a good fit for you.

My experience has been very little side effects (and most people share this experience too) I alos have found that these meds took a long time to work, but it wasn't a miracle cure right away. It was a slow and gradual improvement over a significant time frame (several months) BUT again this is my experience, some have seen much quicker progress. Dosage can also make a difference....

Weight gain, well that can be a side effect or a symptom of feeling better and enjoying food too much. Keeping active will help, getting exercise as much as you can for both your mental health as well as your physical health.

I take my pill in the morning, some take it in the evening....it depends on how they effect you...again no definitive answer....

Just stick with them as long as you can, if they don't work then there other meds available to try...one will work.

I find keeping a journal helps you to understand how you are progressing, because sometimes you can forget how bad you were feeling and overlook the progress you have made....

Good luck and take care.

Catya
15-06-11, 13:44
Thank you for your reply. Good luck to you too.

stomper1999
16-06-11, 02:58
HI Catya,

I used to take my 10mg dose in the morning, switched to the evening , worked better for me. Been on cipralex for about a year.

Give it some time, and be patient, and try to be active, walk every day, eat healthy, 5 or 6 small meals a day, and look forward-- it will get better.

All the best,

Ric

(Stomper1999)

Catya
16-06-11, 13:00
Oh dear. I daren't take them.

smb25
16-06-11, 17:33
Hi Catya,

Don't be scared, just take it. Don't think about it. What can worse at the end of the day?? Your experience so far will help you get through it as we all will here. You can always come on and ask questions or just for support, we have all been there and now got through the other side....

Its not going to be without its downfalls but no AD's are. Cipralex is one of the better for side effects. Its the start of the road for you but once you get over the bridge you won't look back.

xxxxx

Catya
16-06-11, 18:36
Thanks.....

I have reason to be so fearful though. I had about 12 years on Seroxat (Paxil) and gained about 4 stone on that hideous drug. I managed to get myself off that drug about 4 years ago ( the withdrawal was a nightmare even though I did it gradually) and have remained medication free for most of that time. Things are really difficult again though (and have been for some time if I'm being honest) .... and with 'hot flushes' too I guess Escitalopram seemed appealing.

But I just daren't do it......

I did try Citalopram over a month ago and stuck it for 2 weeks, but the insomnia was terrible, so I weaned myself off.

Catya
16-06-11, 18:37
P.S.
How can I change my name from 'Catya' ? ...... it's not 'me'. :blush: