PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/stress forcing possible life change

adagioforstrings
15-06-11, 15:55
Hi All

I've been off work with stress related illness for about a month now and just been signed off for a further four weeks.

Before it came to a head and I decided I couldn't go into work I'd been having a lot of sleepless nights where sometimes I wouldn't sleep at all but still go into work the next day. Other times I might get between 1 and 3 hours sleep.

Overall the job was very stressful with a great deal of responsibility which I'm used to and could generally cope with however there were a few people that seemed to make life difficult and there was generally a strange kind of culture in the company where I never felt entirely comfortable or felt like my face fitted if you know what I mean.

Anyway............I've gradually come to the conclusion that I don't want to work in this kind of industry any more or indeed take any part in the corporate rat race that we're told is the path to happiness.

I genuinely do not want to go back to this job but obviously I don't want to quit as it will cause me problems down the line. I'm looking at trying to make a transition to voluntary work or some kind of work in the charity sector as I'd rather spend my time doing something beneficial to others and make my pocket money via car boot sales/Ebay or whatever.

Does anyone have any advice or could you point me in the right direction to find out what my options are?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Tyke
16-06-11, 04:35
I know exactly what you mean adagioforstrings. I have done voluntary work myself in this kind of situation as well as taking on casual work to ease the cash flow problems. I would highly recommend http://www.do-it.org.uk/ for voluntary work opportunities. There is a searchable database with stacks of local vacancies on there. You can also pop downt to your nearest Volunteer Centre - again if you don't know where this is, the website I mentioned has a searchable database where you just enter your postcode or town.

Best of luck with your search.

Tyke

adagioforstrings
16-06-11, 10:11
Hi Tyke and thanks for your reply

Are you still doing voluntary work? If so then what kind of work are you doing?

I really need advice on making the transition from my current situation as I don't want to lose out or have a black mark against me so to speak - any ideas?

Many Thanks

Typer
16-06-11, 16:06
It also depends on finances. Some voluntary work is possible and many agencies cry out for help. Some require you to have training...it depends on where you think you would fit and what you are drawn to.

Some Charity work comes with some stress, especially f you are in the front line with helping people. Admin and back line work however, can be great and very rewarding

Tyke
18-06-11, 03:59
Are you still doing voluntary work? If so then what kind of work are you doing?

I'm not currently doing voluntary work as I am in paid employment again. The last voluntary work I did was manual work in countryside conservation. I loved the physical aspect of it and as my concentration was poor at the time it helped that it wasn't mentally demanding. You can pick from a wide range of jobs though. I know people who have signed on with agencies to get casual work to help out financially and get references as another option. Try and get something that may offer you a route into what you would like to do to make best use of the time.

Tyke

adagioforstrings
07-07-11, 11:38
Hi All

Well I'm still off work and still can't decide what to do.

The very thought of returning to my current job fills me with absolute dread and I honestly can't say I want to go back there.

I have an appointment with a counsellor on the day my current sick note runs out and an appointment with the GP the day after. I'm pretty sure this will result in me being signed off for longer (unless the appointment with the counsellor somehow magically transforms me lol). This will inevitably lead to awkward questions from my employer and I know they will be pushing for a meeting with me to try and decide a way forward. I stated in an email a few weeks back that I wasn't ready for a meeting and asked work to stop contacting me which I believe I'm entitled to do but I feel that a further period of sick leave will make my employer pressure me for more information. I can't even face talking to them on the phone at the moment......

Anyway does anybody have any advice or can anyone point me in the right direction as far as finding out what my rights/obligations are?

Many Thanks

blueangel
08-07-11, 12:20
Hiya

A very useful place for you to look for information is the ACAS website - in fact, they have a downloadable booklet on how sickness absence is managed. This will tell you your rights under the law, but also what your employer is entitled to do about managing their employees' sickness. Your employer should also have some sort of sickness absence policy and I'd advise you to get hold of a copy of it.

http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=241&p=0

also, it might be a good idea to contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau about benefits etc.

Hope this helps.

CE3K
08-07-11, 14:09
Hi All

Well I'm still off work and still can't decide what to do.

The very thought of returning to my current job fills me with absolute dread and I honestly can't say I want to go back there.

I have an appointment with a counsellor on the day my current sick note runs out and an appointment with the GP the day after. I'm pretty sure this will result in me being signed off for longer (unless the appointment with the counsellor somehow magically transforms me lol). This will inevitably lead to awkward questions from my employer and I know they will be pushing for a meeting with me to try and decide a way forward. I stated in an email a few weeks back that I wasn't ready for a meeting and asked work to stop contacting me which I believe I'm entitled to do but I feel that a further period of sick leave will make my employer pressure me for more information. I can't even face talking to them on the phone at the moment......

Anyway does anybody have any advice or can anyone point me in the right direction as far as finding out what my rights/obligations are?

Many Thanks

This is exactly the same position as I'm in and so I can empathise.
In about an hour, I've a GP appointment (with a different GP, as mine's on holiday) and I'm 90% sure that I'll be asking for a further sick note, as I've still got a complete mental block about going back to work.
When well, I'm more than capable of carrying out my job (and considerably more). I've a lot more experience than the people above me and it's their 'incompetence' over a long period of time, which has led me to develop an anxiety state (physical amd mental symptoms), borne, I think, out of frustration and anger :doh:. I know I need to address the way I deal with this.
In the last few days, I've even started looking for other jobs, as like you, I really need to work to enable fullfillment of my responsibilities, both to family and dare I say, the mortgage provider! Unfortunately, I can't afford to opt for voluntary work. The issue I keep coming up against is lack of 'suitable' job vacancies and I also feel that at 58, it will be quite difficult to get a new job (with a similar kind of salary).
I work in the voluntary sector (for a charity, not for profit organisation) and this sector is being really stretched at the moment. In fact, I've just heard that there are about 10 jobs likely to go in my organisation in the next few weeks because of financial pressures.
I'm half expecting a discussion about losing one of my team (or my job itself) when I go back, and this is adding to my worries.
Also, my organisation has recently issued an updated sickness absence policy, which incorporates a section relating to a 'capability assessment procedure' which includes reference to long term sickness.
As part of my role and my teams' includes provision of employment law advice, I'm well clued up on processes/procedures in this respect . . . but it all feels very different when you'e in the middle of an illness yourself.
I'm trying to find the 'switch inside my head' that will allow me to change my feelings and thought processes and have this week started to try out 'Faster EFT' in the hope that this will help.
It's worth looking at the ACAS Guide that Blueangel has suggested, not least to try to put everything in perspective and to see things from both sides. It's very easy as an employee to see the situation being a 'them versus us' . . . but in reality, most organisation's will see the importance of having an established procedure based on the ACAS Guidelines. Try not to worry too much about them wanting to keep in touch with you . . . as this is probably considered 'good practice' by your employer (as long as it's done in a supportive way).
Wishing you well.