PDA

View Full Version : Am I over-reacting.

hannah26
15-06-11, 17:13
Hello, Ok so I posted a little while ago about me starting a new job in a cancer ward, I had major panic attacks, felt sick and anxious before I started which resulted in me not starting.
I spoke to my manager about it she sent me to occupational health, which I was so happy about as I really want the job.
So when I attended the meeting today the dr was very unprofessional, he told me that unless I went back on my medication I would never succeed in this career ever he also shouted at me that if I carried on than I would be dismissed and they would not want me as the nhs dont want people like me.
I was so upset by this I walked out I was in there less than five minutes he never gave me a chance and now my manager has told me she does not think I am ready to start, but he did not have enough time to make a proper assesment about me or my health so I feel I have been unfairly forced to resign.
Am I over-reacting I have lodged a formal complaint I just feel let down by this man who was not a GP (his words not mine), he does not know me or my history and I explained why both myself and my Dr thinks its a step back to go back on meds.
Now I feel anxious and upset, I have lost a job that I desperatly wanted.
I hate panic attacks.
Sorry to moan!!

Anxious_gal
15-06-11, 20:21
It is hard to be honest when threes a chance your job and how you are treated in your job can be affected.
The doctor was arrogant like many a person in power.
You could maybe ask to try therapy instead of the medication?
You say he never gave you a chance but you walked out, in situations like that it's best not to react emotionally if you can, which is very hard to do when your stressed out.
But he seemed like the type of person who wouldn't have listened any way.
some doctors let their ego get too big, they have no one to answer to, the nurses probably don't stand up to them for fear of their jobs and what not.
I've even over heard nurses talk about useless a certain arrogant doctor was.
well done for complaining him, I'm sure many others wouldn't.
but word of advice is in your next interview try not to get too upset.
it could just be me, but I find when a woman gets upset it can be seen as a bad thing and she may be taken less seriously, it could have some impact too on how your seen professionally.

belvederebabe
15-06-11, 21:06
Many years ago I used to work for a NHS hospital, I worked on a switchboard, in those days all calls came through us. I can tell you some Doctors esp, consultants were so up them selves it was unbelievable. There is no way you should have been treated like this and saddens me that the so called caring profession can treat someone like this. Especially as they know that panic attacks cannot be controlled. Had you not had this awful experience from the doctor your confidence would have built up and you would have been fine. Do they not have nursing officers these days, one that you could talk to and explain? I wish you luck in the future and hope things improve for you... and this Government wants to get us all off Benefits and back to work. :doh:

Mind you I did think it very funny when that consultant told David Cameron and co to get off his ward...

debs71
16-06-11, 01:29
What a complete and utter knobhead. (s'cuse language)

I am afraid that Occupational Health can be a bloody nightmare, and not so much looking out for your interests as an employee and YOUR health and capacity to work, but more designed to either bully you into getting over it and back to work or disprove that you are unwell at all (ward managers refer employees to oc health if they have a lot of sick days)

I have had to visit Oc Health a few times in my career and once was after I returned to temporary staffing work after 14 months of not working with depression/anxiety and they had to judge my capacity to 'do the job'....well frankly they couldn't judge an egg and spoon race. It consisted of being asked how I am feeling, being deemed fit to work all in the space of 10 mins. LAUGHABLE.

This individal should be reported for his behaviour, no question, and it sounds very much to me like mental health discrimination with the 'doesn't want people like you' comment. Like what exactly?

The last thing you need is bullying when you are feeling panicky and anxious and this so-called oc health professional should know that. You have ABSOLUTELY made the right decision in making a formal complaint and well done to you when you have so much going on already.

Do they have a counselling service at your place of work? They can be very helpful in backing you up on stuff, as can your union if you have one. You should not be forced to make a decision you do not want to, or bullied by the establishment. I wonder also if a written note from your own GP would be worth arranging seeing as they think they know what is good for you better.

One last point is that most people who work in Oc Health are not doctors, but have a jumped up arrogance that would make you think otherwise. I so agree with belvederebabe on that!

Don't be beaten down by this, lovely.xx:hugs:

Tyke
16-06-11, 04:18
Hi Hannah

What an apalling way to treat someone. I agree with all the comments above. Good luck with your complaint Hannah. Comments like 'nhs don't want people like you' is clear discrimination. Can you imagine how unacceptable that kind of comment would have been deemed if it had been made about your ethnicity, sexuality or gender? Or if you had been in a wheelchair or had some visual form of disability being commented about in that way? Anxiety is an illness and there's no way you should have been treated like that. Like Debs says, your own GP is on your side and that will carry a lot of weight, so make good use of that. Certainly go to the union if you're in one.

The arrogance of some of these people is breathtaking. Though I agree with Belvederebabe, the Cameron incident was hilarious. Arrogant politician meets arrogant consultant! What a complete bunch of *******.

Hope things get better for you Hannah :hugs:.

Tyke