PDA

View Full Version : help..!

clair..
16-06-11, 10:56
Any one undergoing therapy for panic attacks?? and does it work? i am going through daily attacks and it is making my life hell! too scared to go out at times! :( im currently on a waiting list for cognitive therapy

anneka
16-06-11, 17:18
hi clair
i have been thro congnative therapy i know its seems scarey but you can do it just think it cant be any worse i take everything 5 mins at a time its not so scarey then.
there is light at the end of the tunnel ive been really bad and iam a lot better now so stay postitive YOU CAN DO THIS :hugs:

clair..
16-06-11, 18:23
Thank you Anneka that has made me feel a little better hoping i get somewhere with the therapy as i just want to get my life back..!! got a docs appointment tomorrow going to see if i can get them to hurry up.
pleased you are getting better! :D

SometimesHappy
16-06-11, 18:32
Hi Claire!

I've suffered panic attacks loads in the last 5 years and the pnlything that helped me was to opt for antidepressants as unfortunatelly they tend to come back every now and then for no reason. Hope that helps

tweety
16-06-11, 19:36
hi claire,

I have just had my first cbt and it does feel like its already helping i have still a long way to go but its small steps at your own pace that really works i think hope that helps

clair..
16-06-11, 20:55
Thank you everyone so maybe there is light at the end me the tunnel lol x

clair..
16-06-11, 21:51
thanks Rainbow girl and i hope you can get over the panic disorder too! i know how you feel its a living hell..! are you on any medication? x

Tish
17-06-11, 07:09
I've just completed 10 sessions of CBT and it was a huge help. Good luck, T x

Ellie-Bear
17-06-11, 10:33
Hi Clair,
I'm on the waiting list for CBT on the NHS but have started doing some online CBT which does seem to help.. I've been on anti-depressants numerous times in the past but tried them this time and it just made me worse :-( I was given some diazepam to take when I feel the need and they have been a godsend. I have 2mg tabs and snap the tabs into quarters, 1 quarter of a tab is all I need on a daily basis and sometimes I can go days without taking any. The thing that has helped the most is hypnotherapy. It's very expensive and I'm only on my 3rd session but there has been a remarkable improvement in how I feel since I started. My therapist and I got rid of the 'panic' on my last session and I haven't had a panic attack since then, I still feel very anxious at times but it doesn't spiral out of control into a PA like it used to.
3 months ago I couldn't leave my house but now I'm back at work and trying to enjoy life again, some days are still a struggle and I feel ill most of the time but I know it's just the anxiety and try not to focus on it and it does seem to fade into the background. What I'm trying to say is you will get better, it will take time but you'll be fine.
Take care of yourself and best of luck.
Ellie. Xxx

clair..
17-06-11, 10:57
Hi Ellie it seems you are doing very well im so pleased for you :) you have given me hope that things will get better! im at the docs later im going to beg them for some medication to take the edge off as im really struggling to cope especially with the throat problems i feel like i am being strangled and my head feels really heavy with pains and aches in my throat and neck have you experienced any of these symptoms?? xx

blueangel
17-06-11, 13:22
It's probably a good idea to go back to the doctor's and tell him/her about the symptoms that you're getting. There are a number of different medications that can help, whether it's beta-blockers or antidepressants. People often find that being on some medication to calm the symptoms down can help you deal with counselling/CBT better as it makes you feel more objective.

clair..
17-06-11, 13:26
thanks blueangel, i hope they will give me something they were holding off medication i think until i had my CBT but going to tell them i cant wait and need something now do the meds stop the symptoms do you know? :unsure:

Ellie-Bear
21-06-11, 10:17
Hi Clair,
How did you get on at the doctors? Did they give you something to help? How are you felling? My head gets tight and heavy alot of the time, feels like I need splints to hold my head up as it feels soooo heavy. The throat thing I get is very strange spasms around my voice box and it does feel as if I'm being strangled! Anxiety is a horrible 'illness'. I'm having a very bad week this week, just permanently on edge for no reason whatsoever. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Take care of yourself. Xxx