PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

apm
01-04-04, 19:28
Hi, my name is Alex, and I had my first (and only so far) panic attack two weeks ago. That was scary, but the ECG at the hospital at least showed me I wasn't going to die!
What I'm troubled by is the anxiety I've been feeling since the attack. It comes and goes, but it's pretty much there all the time, and it's miserable! I've not slept properly since, either (couple of hours a night if I'm lucky). I've been around the no more panic website, joined no-panic and have kevin Gournay's book as well as relaxation cds, so I am (typically for me) going in with both feet! I've also given up smoking, caffeine and am eating healthily.
The one thing I want (need?) to know is whether the anxiety I'm feeling is still down to the panic attack, or has turned into GAD. Anyone help?? And what kind of timescales have people had for things like mine, before they begin to improve? I seem to have bad days (today), and good days (yesterday).

Thanks guys!

Alex.

Oh, if it helps, when I had the attack, I was suffering from tonsilitis (I'm told this could have brought it on). I'm 33, male and have no family history of anxiety/ panic.

Meg
01-04-04, 19:51
Hi Alex

Welcome to the site . Well done for getting help early - it's so beneficial

It won't have turned into GAD in 2 weeks . You're likely to be having fear of the fear. It was such an awful experience that you're constantly afraid of having another one .

Read the First steps post under welcome, do some work with your CD's on relaxing and/or get out there and do some vigourous exercise if your tonsilitis is better and wear yourself out so you do sleep well . You need to break this cycle of waking and it will reset itself. I slept for 1 hour a night for 3 weeks then went straight back to normal nights after a long walk/run and a vetiver massage one night.

Tonsilitis won't have brought it on. But if you were feeling rotton with tonsilitis it may have got you wondering what the racing heart , tight throat was all about, how bad could it get etc and started to dwell on things which led to the panic attack. Think back to what you were thinking about at the time.

Well done for lifestyle changes- if you were big on caffiene or smoking - you could be having a bit of withdrawal.

Take care

Hear from you soon

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

apm
01-04-04, 20:10
Hi meg- thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I've been told by various expert-type people that the first attack might have stemmed from my illness, plus being run down and stressed by my new(ish) job. It was puzzling, as I was literally sitting watching TV when it happened! Admittedly, my pulse had been high and heavy, but I put that down to the tonsilitis and I wasn't dwelling on it.

Whatever the cause, it's good to know that it's just 'fear of the fear', and not GAD. Although is it right to say that if the anxiety carries on for a time it gets classified as panic disorder?

I guess I'm not badly off really- I am able to get around and go to work (albeit not for a full day). My boss and work are really supportive (ironically I work for the NHS in a mental health Trust!). I'm single and my parents are both dead, but my friends and grandfather (and his wife) have been enormously supportive.

I'm rambling now. One question- I was taking strong prescrip sleeping pills, then herbal nytol (not the same nights), neither seemed to be working terrible well, so I'm going without tonight. Last night (herbal nytol) I had some REALLY bizarre thoughts, although I suspect I might have been dreaming/ half asleep. Is this likely, or could I really be out there so far (not connected to the panic attack).

Finally, having looked around the site, I just wanted to say how amazing it all is- a credit to you all.

Cheers,

Alex.

kate
01-04-04, 20:18
Hiya Alex,

Just wanted to say welcome to the site!

Kate x

Meg
01-04-04, 21:24
'plus being run down and stressed by my new(ish) job'

This now becomes very possible adding these things all together. Pure Overload .

I can quote you the criteria for GAD and panic disorder but I would recommend that you not even think of this as it's months off and you will be over this by then and it will be becoming a distant memory.

You do need to look after yourself now and in your future. Some Vit B complex in addition to your lifestyle will help support your adrenals and CNS system .

Dreams are much more common to be memorable ( in a variety of ways) when you're taking any form of help to sleep.

Take care

Meg

apm
01-04-04, 21:43
Thanks Meg- appreciate that. Overload seems most likely- although I'd been in my job for 4 months, it is pretty different to what I was used to, with much more responsibility and stress!

Feel I'm doing right things, but will look for B-complex vits if you reckon they'll help.

Thanks again- it really is amazing how much just a friendly message on a forum like this can help!!

Best,

Alex.

Brownie
01-04-04, 22:34
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the site! As Meg also said good job on looking for help early on (wish I wouldve done that;)) Well I hope the site helps you a lot as is has for me and many others so good luck on your way to recovery!

-Christie[:I]

uryjm
02-04-04, 14:00
Hi Alex, welcome to the site. As Meg says, it's the "fear of the fear" that's the bugger, espescially when you can't even explain what it is you're frightened of, or were frightened of, in the first place. If you think hard though, some wayward thought may well have triggered the first attack. Illness does make you dwell on things you otherwise might not (hmmm, tonsolitis. Or throat cancer!!!)and can set you off. Also, one of my big triggers that I've realised over the years is fatigue. If I'm not getting good sleep, I'm much more vulnerable to anxiety. It seems you've not been sleeping well, and this may add to the stress. Hope you're feeling better soon, and if the panic's made you give up smoking it's already had one massive positive effect on your life and health! Good Luck.

Jim

twister
02-04-04, 14:12
Hi Alex

Welcome to the site. My CBT man is Kevin Gournay - he is very nice too!

Emily

apm
02-04-04, 20:47
Thanks for your support everyone- it means so much!
Today was a generally good day- slept ok and got some important work done (felt good to finish a particular task that had been hanging over me). Also coped with heavy traffic on the M25 (which was one of the situations I was anxious might trigger an attack).
So, despite some anxiety earlier today, pretty good. :D

Thanks again,

Alex.

If you're in a hole, stop digging... unless you're a miner.

Meg
02-04-04, 22:57
Hey Alex,

Very glad to hear you slept well without your tablets .
Everything looks better after a good nights sleep and you've broken the bad pattern.

Have a good weekend .

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

apm
03-04-04, 10:09
Probably too soon to be happy- didn't sleep so well last night, but did grab maybe 3 hours (not THAT much less than night before really, just felt alot less). Feel less anxious but a bit low. Maybe after one good day expecting too much? Realise that it's a slow road, and there will be good days and bad days. Or, in fact, I'm finding that days have good bits and bad bits! I assume this is normal...

Will keep the faith!

Alex.

red
03-04-04, 10:16
Hi Alex - Yes, you are right, it is perfectly normal to have ups and downs like this. The good news is that the good bits get longer and longer when we practice what we know will make us feel better - eating right, exercising, relaxing etc. I too went in with both feet - nothing wrong with that and it certainly didn't do me any harm - although looking back and hearing you, it is quite a brave thing to do, so well done!

Sleep will come when it is good and ready - use your distraction tecniques for when it becomes a worry to you and you may find that your subconcious ignores the need to stay awake!

Good to meet you - keep up the really good work!

Red
x

apm
03-04-04, 10:30
Thanks Red- good to meet you too. I guess that when I'm feeling good, I start to think that I'm done, but then feel down when things get worse again. Just a mindset I'll have to get out of- realise that there is no instant end to this thing of ours.

The sleep thing is just a bit annoying now. I have noticed the last 2 mornings I have felt tired rather than anxiously zinging as I was before. I hope this is a good sign!!

Thanks for your support,

Alex.

On another matter, would y'all say that CBT is a necessity, or something to look at of things don't improve without? Just that my contact at the Trust is going on holiday soon, and wouldn't be able to see me before early May. He suggested that I see how I go and call him then if I feel I need his help.

Meg
03-04-04, 11:50
Hi Alex.

I find that it often works on an intensity basis - the getting better - and not always a time interval . Ie you still have bad days/times but they're not as bad as previously- then the time intervals between problems grows too.

Yes , leave the CBT for a bit . May is only a month away and you'll know more about your progress then .

Keep doing what you're doing.

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

me
03-04-04, 13:35
hi alex, im mary, welcome to the site ,its wonderful and everyone here is great x like yourself my panics came on very qickly out of the blue, only weeks ago but with alot of wise words from everyone here, love from my family and friends and going to the doctors to check i wasnt going mad ha ha im on the mend, at first i thought i was never going to get better but slowly im getting there. i was shocked this could happen to me, but sitting back taking alook at my life i was always rushing around not eating good food drinking red bull until it came out of my ears so i started taking vitamins eating better only drinking water and swimming a few times a week i feel lots better and not worrying about everything. keep an open mind try and think of all the ood days you are having you will get there take care from mary

me
03-04-04, 13:38
alex only mary again....sorry in my last sentance to you it was meant to say think of all the GOOD days you are having not the odd days......... im so daft sometimes ha ha take care from mary

apm
03-04-04, 15:39
Thanks Mary- that's just what I wanted to hear! That there is hope not too far away. I think the worst part is the feeling sometimes that it's not getting better, and that it'll always be like this. But as has been said, and I believe this is the case with me, the intensity of the anxiety is lower than it was, and can only get better really. I recognise your previous lifestyle- poor nutrition, always busy- that was me!! I guess we are the fallen in the stress war. Thankfully, it seems we can get better.

Thanks again for your comforting words,

Alex.

sal
03-04-04, 23:40
Hi Alex have tried 2 reply & wil try again Proud of u that u r facin in head on U have it sussed b4 it susses u Keep in touch Sal xxx

SJ Brunskill

me
04-04-04, 12:18
morning alex, you sound really well which is really good, i honestly thought i would never feel like mary again but i really have started feeling better. we live in such a stresssful world, so fast, wanting everything, we all take the little things for granted and its proved to me that all you need is your health, love and friendship(i sound like a wise old owl sorry) please try and eat properly and often take some vitamins try not to drink any caffine goodness i sound so healthy these days, well i havent given up smoking yet...hope you are having a wonderful weekend take care from mary

apm
04-04-04, 12:29
Thanks mary- good morning to you too! I do feel pretty good today (got some sleep last night which helped!), and I really feel that I'm on the road to recovery now. The anxiety is still there, but less intense. I have come to realise that, as you say, the root cause of it all is these stressful times we live in. For me, I am in a management post, having never had experience of this before (I trained as an academic), and I just don't possess the skills to delegate properly, and thus just ended up taking on too much myself! I have bought a stress management book by Cary Cooper, which I think will help- I'll let you know if it's any good. Have also looked at how I work, and will seek to change that too.
I too have had a radical lifestlye change- I'm cigarette & caffeine free for 2 weeks, and have been eating fruit, drinking water etc, exercising. A real change for me (I was 20+ a day, take-aways and lots of diet coke). Whatever else, this thing will certainly mean I am MUCH healthier... I'm even going to look for and fix my bicycle this afternoon. And you're right- it doesn make you really appreciate your friends and family. And this forum too!

You enjoy the rest of your weekend, and keep the faith!

Alex.

me
06-04-04, 22:04
hi alex your doing really well goodness we are both turning out to be really healthy which cant be a bad thing. give out as much work to others as you can, dont feel as if you have to take everything on your own shoulders....your only human, hey you are management.. thats your job ha ha, you can do it x how did mending the bike go? good i hope, ive started swimming which has shocked everyone who knows me as i dont normally do exercise. well take care of yourself from mary

apm
06-04-04, 22:24
Hi Mary- good to hear from you. Yes, being healthy is no bad thing, although if I keep losing weight none of my trousers will fit (LOL not much danger!). The bicycle was ok, although I didn't get that far before meeting a punishing hill- legs like jelly afterwards! Swimming is great exercise- wish my Gym had a pool, I'd be in it all the time! I have started delegating more, and I have discovered that my team like doing things, and they're better at most of it than me!
Slept pretty well last night, and feeling better everyday- feel it's going in the right direction (although I know there will be bad bits too).

Thanks again for your kind words, and keep at it yourself too!

Look after yourself and never lose faith!

Alex.

apm
07-04-04, 07:55
Just to show me, and keep my head out of the clouds- not such a good night (not much sleep and anxiety level quite high). That's the way the cookies crumbles, I guess- will stay positive and view this as a 'blip' on the otherwise revocery trend!

Hope y'all are doing well,

Alex.

red
07-04-04, 08:05
Hi Alex

Sounds like you are doing just fine to me - well done. Glad that the site is helping - we all thought that it would! Be firm but not too hard on yourself - remember to give yourself a pat on the back when you take that little step further. You have experienced a better sleep now so the intervals in between will shorten and you will soon be sleeping well (enough) all of the time.

Keep it going!

Red
x

apm
07-04-04, 08:21
You guys know just the right thing to say, it's amazing! It is so much easier to keep positive with such great support.

Thanks so much,

Alex.

me
07-04-04, 10:07
morning alex oh bless you, its awful when you dont have a good sleep x i have good nights and bad nights it affects how you feel the next day but we are here and understand x can you have a relaxed day or are you at work? if your anxiety is bad make sure you have something to eat i always think it keeps the butterflys away try a banana!! i often have problems not being able to sleep but i take sleeping tablets which i dont like doing but i hate the thought of laying in my bed worrying all night. im just like you as soon as i say im feeling ok i then go onto having a blip so im forever touching wood these days ha ha, i sat with my friend the other day and was saying how much better i was feeling, then i had a little panic and had to find some wood to touch for good luck and i had a panic that i couldnt find any wood.... how mad am i!! then she started to laugh and i was like what are you laughing about and she pointed out i was standing on my wooden floor boards im such a dip stick ha ha well im just popping out you take care from mary x

apm
07-04-04, 16:05
Hey Mary- don't feel bad about the wood thing- I have a friend who always carries a bit of wood around with her all the time (so she can touch wood)..LOL! Anything seems it can set us off into a spiral, just important that we keep a perspective and positive thoughts. At work today- pretty busy (but that's good!). I've already discovered bananas- generally have a couple with me. I don't take sleeping tablets- scared of dependance (my mother was, and it wasn't nice), so I prefer being tired the next day (find I can function ok, just a bit jittery). Been okay today, just a bit anxious and jittery. Weekend soon!!!

How you doing? Hope all is good at your end!
And thanks so much for your message.
Alex.

apm
07-04-04, 16:06
Ooh look- I got a star!!! Woo hoo!!!

me
09-04-04, 14:23
*yippee your a star* and always remember it x how you doing? ok i hope.yippee its a bank holiday too x have you got some time off? hope you have, make sure you chill out and have some YOU time. i know what you mean about the sleeping tablets i really dont like taking them but the doctor promised me i cant get hooked!! your poor mum x perhaps i should carry abit of wood around with me, ill see if i can find abit if you ever see a girl carring a trunk in her bag it will be me ha ha take care have a great weekend from mary x

apm
09-04-04, 18:09
Hey Mary- good to hear from you. Thanks as ever for your kind words- how are you doing? Yes- great it's 4 days off! I will be mostly chilling out and catching up with friends and family, which is fab. How about you? If your doc isn't concerned about the sleeping tabs, then I wouldn't be either. And if I do see a girl with half a tree I'll say hi! You have a top weekend,

Alex.

PS I'm feeling good today- hope you're good too!

brill
10-04-04, 01:27
Hi alex

I just wanted to hello mate and welcome to the site(the wealth of lots of personal experence).Well done so far mate.

BRILL.

Never give up
Never give in
Life,s to short
Make it last :)
Brill

me
10-04-04, 10:57
alex look at me ive got 2 stars!!! wey hey x oh its great your feeling good im not to bad, cleaning at the moment which im sure is just not right on a saturday i used to have big hangovers but now ive got 2 stars ive become all domesticated ha ha the family are coming over later so its a mad dash around with the hoover hope you have a lovely weekend take care from mary x

apm
10-04-04, 11:13
Hey brill- thanks for your message- I'm feeling good today (even slept well), and I owe it in no small measure to you guys on the site.
Mary- two stars, aren't you the fancy pants! Glad you're feeling okay- good luck with the cleaning and the family visit!
Everyone enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Keep the faith,

Alex.

red
10-04-04, 12:13
Hi Alex
Good to see you still posting to us and letting us know that you are sleeping better - well done with all your efforts!

Take care

Red
x

apm
10-04-04, 14:19
Thanks Red- I'm beginning to feel more back to my old self now. Feel a bit low at the moment, but that's ok as I've just split with this girl I've been seeing, and it does hurt. But even that's okay, as I think I'm feeling like I should be feeling at a time like this!

Thanks again for all your support guys!

Alex.

nomorepanic
10-04-04, 15:27
Hi Alex

Sorry to hear about the split with your partner. I am sure that you feel pretty down cos of that but you have recognised that it is a normal feeling so that is good news and stops the panic feelings.

Happy Easter to you.

My partner is called Alex by the way!

Nicola

apm
13-04-04, 13:03
Hi all,

Good news, things are sorted with the girl I was seeing- we're back together, albeit taking things very slowly (complicated!).
Bad news is that last night (Sunday) I did feel a bit panicky (not an attack, but feeling tingly and blood draining). Today I am back to being a bit anxious. All this after an almost anxiety-free weekend! Also didn't sleep well last night, again after several very good nights.
Is this par for the course (I'm guessing it is), and is this a blip in the bad direction, or was the good bit a blip in the good direction? Sorry for all these questions!

Thanks,

Alex.

red
13-04-04, 13:20
Hi Alex
Glad you ahd a great weekend and that you are back on track with the girlfriend - slowly is the only weay to go with relationships, complicated or not!

What you have experienced is par for the course and will happen less with time, it's just that we get afraid of the fear, if that makes sense? It is a blip in neither direction really - just a blip which shows that the anxiety is still with you. However, because you have had some respite over the weekend you are definately going in the right direction. Don't give the feelings any attention and you will be amazed how quickly they reduce in strength or go altogether. Paying attention seems to just fuel the sensations, so ignore as much as possible and just go about doing what you would normally do. You will find that your sleep pattern will return very quickly too.

And..ask as many questions as you like! Take care!

Red
x

apm
13-04-04, 13:48
Hi Red,

Thanks so much for the reassurance- means alot. It was just that the weekend felt good (despite the emotional rollercoaster!), and I (stupidly) started to think I might be free from the anxiety. Guess it'll be a little longer yet, eh! I should focus on the progress I've made, really, and be happy. It does surprise me sometimes how far I have come in what is a short space of time, if I think about it. Actually feel better now (just done my 10-minute relaxation CD in my office-remarkably effective!)

Thanks again,

Alex.

Meg
13-04-04, 15:04
Alex,

I found the ditances bewteen bouts didn't abate first - it was the intensity of them that got much easier then I started to notice the time extending between blips.

You're doing fine.

Especially as you're having an emotional time too

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

apm
13-04-04, 16:06
Thanks Meg- you and Red seem to know exactly what's going on, it's great! I do seem to have picked up (another) cold, though. Throat, cough, aches, typical!!
Hoping to feel better real soon and thanks so much for your support,

Alex.

Meg
13-04-04, 16:44
A sign you're run down..

A good mineral and Vit supplement needed perhaps.

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

sarah
13-04-04, 16:58
Hiya Alex

If you have picked up a cold, im willing to bet that why you are feeling a little anxious.

love Sarah
xx

apm
13-04-04, 20:24
I'm taking vit c and multivits daily. Cold isn't too bad, but I know I have one, if you know what I mean. Went to the Gym and worked out, which really seems to have helped! Also saw an accident on the M25 (right in front of me, no-one hurt, Ford Mondeo bit of a mess), which proved that my fear response works when it has to!!

Think I am still run down, and sure you're right Sarah- cold is a factor. Guess I'll just have to truck on through!

Thanks again guys,

Alex.

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

me
14-04-04, 15:57
hello alex oh you sound like you have been having a busy time, oh im so glad your back with you girl x lifes a funny old game but we are all winners well thats what someone told me and i think its kinda true!! i think some of us are put through things to make us stronger and im sure we are x oh that sounded all abit grown up for me ha ha. hows work? ok i hope. its brill you are taking the old vitamins im sure they really do help. oh i hate seeing accidents thank goodness you and no one was hurt.well i must go and do some cleaning i think its become my new hobby take care from mary

apm
15-04-04, 11:55
Hi Mary- nice to hear from you! Life is a funny old thing indeed. Hope the cleaning helps you- sounds like it does, and your place must be nice and clean!
Things for me aren't so bad at the moment. Feeling a bit jittery today, but not too bad really. It comes and goes! I guess it's part of the recovery process, blips and good and bad periods. The good periods certainly seem to be more frequent (which is good!!).

Keeping the faith as ever!!!

Alex.

PS cold improving: cough gone, just a bit bunged up now.

-Groucho Marx.

me
15-04-04, 19:35
hello alex, oh im so glad your having lots of good times and not so many blips, them bloomin blips are horrible.yippee your cold is going too, isnt it horrible when your nose gets bunged up, i hate it at night time when im in a worry mood i get frightened that i cant breath so i always have a vic spray close by so i can recommend them ha ha. its great to hear you feeling so well take care from mary

apm
16-04-04, 13:37
Cold has moved to sneezing + mild headache phase now. Annoying and a bit embarrassing (especially as my hanky is rather old and tatty (although nice and clean!).
Good news- sleeping better- three nights good sleep in a row now, which is great! Blips are still there, but the anxiety is less pronounced. Getting there...slowly but surely.
Vic spray is a good idea- I have a bottle of water and rescue remedy.

We will beat this thing!

Hope all well with everyone,

Alex.

-Groucho Marx.

red
16-04-04, 13:45
Hi Alex
Great to hear of your progress and improved sleep patterns! The cold will go when it is ready! One remedy I swear by for colds catarrh and 'breathing problems' is Olbas Oil - it is really excellent. Sprinkle some on your hanky or a tissue and inhale deeply - great for clearing the tubes and totally natural stuff. You can even sprinkle some on your pillow at night - take care not to get it near your eyes - no major problems but will sting!

Love the attidtude! Keep it going!

Red
x

nomorepanic
17-04-04, 17:59
Alex

You can also get those really soft tissues that have balsam on them so they aren't so hard on the nose.

Perhaps new hankies can go on your birthday list. ;)

Hope the cold is better soon ! :)

Nicola

apm
18-04-04, 19:19
Cold is fine now, but I got drunk at the rugby yesterday (Powergen cup final at Twickenham), and have had a rotten hangover all day. Feeling bit of anxiety too, just now. Have posted about that- could be linked to the hangover...

Will get some new hankies anyway, I think!

Cheers,

Alex.

-Groucho Marx.

Meg
18-04-04, 19:58
Alex,

Anxiety more than probably related to hang over .

Will be better tomorrow.

Meg

me
18-04-04, 21:14
hi yer alex, megs right, i got alittle tipsy the other night and felt awful the next day i had lots of palpitations,dizziness and felt like a panic would pop up at any point but when youve got yer drinking head on its hard to think about the next day ha ha, im a devil for a drink or two!! im glad to hear your cold is going. red said about the olbas oil it is fab my mum swears by it, she always has some on a hanky id forgotton all about it, i remember going on holiday with my mum a few years ago and the first night we were there i got ready for bed and suddendley there was this smell in the bedroom it was a smell that reminded me of my childhood it took me ages to work out what it was, and it was the olbas oil my mum had put on her pillow, sorry alex just having a trip down memory lane...thanks red x well you take good care of yourself from mary

apm
18-04-04, 21:32
Thanks Meg- good to know!

Hey Mary- good to hear from you. It is difficult when you get stuck in to the booze, isn't it?

I've never really used Olbas- but at a gym I used to go to, there was a chap that put it into the water you throw onto the heater in the sauna- talk about clear sinuses! Felt like they'd been scrubbed with a brillo pad!! It is amazing how smells remind you of the past though- I have a thing for incense- takes me straight back to being an undergraduate in 1989!!

Feel a bit better now- hangover is fading!!

Keep well,

Alex.

-Groucho Marx.