PDA

View Full Version : I want to stop taking meds for Depression.

James8472
16-06-11, 23:24
Hi everyone,

I don't really do this kinda thing and talk about my depression but I just wanted some advice from someone who wasn't my doctors or family. I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety over a year ago but suffered from it most of my life and since being diagnosed I've been on several medications and different dosages and none of them seems to work. The one I'm on just now is Citalopram and at first it was working great but more often than not I get really depressed and don't leave my room and sleep all day. Ive only been to work three months in the last year and that makes me more depressed because I like the job and constantly worry about losing it from all this abscences. So I've decided to stop taking my Citalopram when I do feel normal and happy I love it but when I get really low I hate myself because I think I was making progress and I go back to square one. I'm not sure what to do and I think it's getting worse. Any advice?

Tero
17-06-11, 01:09
It sounds like doctors know what they are doing, but "Between 30% and 50% of individuals treated with a given antidepressant do not show a response."

Depression is probably more difficult to treat than anxiety. We get some relief, with side effects.

Depression article:
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2009/04/24/depressed-treating-depression-drugs-medication-treatments-antidepressants

So it is very common not finding help with drugs.

No real cure, I am afraid. But try to find some support person.

lowandsad
17-06-11, 11:28
That was a very interesting article - was having a rough day on Monday and struggled with all my might to go swimming -did 45 mins and - felt tonnes better after wards - OK the anxiety was sitting there with me ever constant but I slept better and the next day was much improved. Trouble is going swimming costs money and for me that is an issue - one that can bring on anxiety. There used to be free swimming - but then guess what - they stopped it!!

It's hard to get up and do excercise especially if you're in full flight with an empty head - one that can not concentrate on anything - flippen eck it's a real pain this anxiety :ohmy:

Tero
18-06-11, 03:09
Yes, it's pretty obvious we did not evolve for the easy life that we lead, not physically demanding in most cases. So we have to invent work.