PDA

View Full Version : Constipated, really uncomfortable...Any advice?

MVP123
17-06-11, 10:55
Hi Guys, since having really bad diarrhea last weekend I haven't had much in the way of bowel movements, and I am now really uncomfortable, my stomach is bloated, I get stitch like pains on both my sides and lower back and just feels like if my bowels don't empty soon I may actually expllode, anyone got any ideas on how to get things moving without the help of laxatives?

MardyBum
17-06-11, 11:43
years ago my Nanna gave me grapes.. i ate the whole box and went within 12 hours. Ive just had the same problem, i hadnt moved bowels for 3 days and took two senacot (sp) last night and managed a small movement this morning so felt a small but of pain release this morning but im in total agony and like you feel like im going to pop :(

I even called NHS direct about it last night :( x

anxietyoverload
17-06-11, 11:47
i also find grapes help!! as well as a really strong cup of coffee, makes me go straight away!

MardyBum
17-06-11, 11:48
oh and if this helps.. my toddler is obcessed with grapes at the min and has been having them loads and my god his nappies have been terrible :ohmy:

MVP123
17-06-11, 12:31
Thanx for that guys, what did NHS Direct say Mardybum?

blueangel
17-06-11, 13:35
Other foods that can help get things moving are dates and figs, or one of those high-fibre bars that have got lots of seeds in, as they help speed up the movements in your gut. Otherwise, try a bit of senokot, as it's quite a gentle laxative and shouldn't be too drastic.

uk23
17-06-11, 20:58
You could also try Lactulose - available OTC from Boots for around £5. It is pretty good stuff.

haz
18-06-11, 00:11
You could also try Lactulose - available OTC from Boots for around £5. It is pretty good stuff.

I agree. Nice and gentle. Can take a few days to work. You could also try some "stool softener" suppostries in conjunction with this, also available over the counter.

Silky
18-06-11, 10:58
Prunes, lactulose, Pysillium Husks (Holland and Barratts), fruit, fruit juice all do wonders :blush:

Klonoa
18-06-11, 11:16
I would go with prune juice! Make sure you are drinking enough water also.