PDA

View Full Version : Conversations

Samuel Eastman
17-06-11, 15:10
Whenever I'm in amongst a group I always get talked over when I try and talk! How can I overcome this? Do I just speak whenever I feel like it and hope someone hears me? It's frustrated me very much and has made me feel like not talking to people...:weep:

Pudding
17-06-11, 15:18
Hi Samuel

This happens to me as well, it is very frustrating and I don't have social anxiety . I put it down to people's bad manners. My mum always used to do this to me and it made me feel like anything I had to say wasn't important or interesting. Not sure what the answer is though but just to let you know it's not just you.

Fran

Relax - its all good
17-06-11, 15:44
Look at the person talking in the eye and keep staring until they look back at you. Then speak and look at the others in the eye allowing the next person to have their say. If you keep doing this the group will start to copy you and everyone will be able to have their say.:yesyes:

Hazel B
17-06-11, 15:46
I sometimes get carried away and talk over people, usually I realise and say "Sorry to cut you off, but in my enthusiam.....blah blah". People do it to make their point but I think if you show courtesy at the same time it's OK. If it's going to be blatantly rude I bite my tongiue but the brain still formulates replies as poeple talk!

trickyricky
17-06-11, 17:35
It happens to me quite a lot matey - its just bad manners but it makes u feel like people dont think you have anything intersting to say prob due to coming across a bit shy or due to being around people who crave contant attention - just be heard - say what u want to say and dont be at the back of the crowd try to put yourself in front row

debs71
17-06-11, 21:00
This happens to me all the time, especially during family gatherings.

I have a quite vocally forthcoming sister and Mum - in fact I come from a family of strong, opinionated women - and find it hard to both get a word in edgewise or give my opinion about stuff. It can be quite frustrating, so I understand your feelings completely.

I too am not sure what the answer is hun. I now just sit quietly until there is a break in the conversation and then speak or else wait for a direct question and let rip then!

I have to say though, that I am naturally quite shy and not one for leading conversations so it suits me pretty well, but it is annoying when you feel you have something to contribute to the discussion. x:shrug: