PDA

View Full Version : Getting help...advice please?

joanna1994
17-06-11, 22:24
Hi guys im Joanna, im 17 and believe I suffer with anxiety (+ possibly depression) which is obviously having a huge impact on my life. I avoid all kinds of situations - places I dont feel safe in as well as any social events. I dont go to parties, I dont go round people's houses, I generally dont go out apart from to go to sixth form and work, and the odd time I will go out but normally I will have to approve of the place or it will depend on how im feeling that day! And I am constantly paranoid and constantly anxious.

As Ive got older, its got worse and worse. The last few months have been a nightmare. I have no social life and isolating myself from my friends. And I cant do simple and normal things a lot of the time. I have already cancelled interviews for apprenticeships and worrying about not being able to have a career and continue with my A levels next year if I carry on. I also tend to cancel any appointments that I do make and I have severe exam panic!

And due to my brother always being in hospitals etc when he was younger for years and years as I was growing up I have the biggest phobia of doctors, hospitals etc. and I have been to see one in 5 years, however ill I am.

The list of my anxieties and phobias could go on forever!

Basically I know I have a problem and I know I need to get it sorted but as I say there is no way I can get myself to a doctor at the moment. There may be a way that when I feel ready to, call up and see if I can get a doctor to come to me but I would even then have to be feeling particularly brave and dont know if someone would come out to see me for that reason?! And also if over the phone my GP referred me to a therapist or something, I wouldnt be able to go so is there any point ? Or is there a way that they can come to me? I dontk now my options at all...would appreciate any information about this kind of thing and any advice I feel so alone and like I am in a downward spiral.

Thank you x

looking4answers
18-06-11, 05:28
Im so sorry to hear about the problems you are having.It reminds me so much of myself at 17. I wasted so much of my life being afraid and I know its hard to take advise from people and it is to give it. I hope you get the help you need soon and not be like me and wake up at 56 and noy have anyone that really understands . I sit now and think of all the years I wated andall the things Zi worried about that never happened and I think....what a waste. Good Luck to you and hope things get better real soon.We are all here for you. Michael

Jonquil
18-06-11, 11:39
Hi Joanna, am really sorry that you feel so anxious and low. I remember feeling a bit like you when I was 17- I wanted to burst into tears everytime I had to talk to a teacher and all my effort went into not bursting in to tears and trying not to let people know how I was feeling. Looking back I think that perhaps if I had let someone know how difficult things were I might have got help sooner. It does really sound as though you could do with some help and support-I wonder if there is anyone you might be able to trust, like a friend, or a teacher, or a relation who you could tell how you are feeling and might perhaps give you some support to go to the doctor?

Take care, be gentle with your self J x