PDA

View Full Version : Bad withdrawal

juanna
19-06-11, 10:48
:weep:Oh My god am having the most horrible with drawal symptoms; brain shocks; sickness ; diarrhoea and irriatability. How long does this last cos right now feel like i'm gonna die !! Please tell me this doesn't last for long !! Yesterday i was sooo bad i had to chop one of my tablets into quarters and reluctantly took one of the bits; but just hate this drug so much for what it has done to me...

steveh31
19-06-11, 10:50
What are you taking?

juanna
19-06-11, 11:00
Was on venlafaxine 225mg daily; took 150mg in the morning & 75mg at night.

kibbutz83
19-06-11, 11:17
Hi juanna, I know what you're going through :( Been there too... am actually in withdrawal from the demon venlafaxine right now. I wasn't on such a high dose though! You must have pretty bad anxiety to be taking so much? Was it your gp's decision for you to withdraw, or your own? I think it's possibly one of the hardest "legal" drugs to come off.. I feel like I'm dying and going mad too... this will be my fourth attempt at coming off them :( I feel like a "venlafaxine prisoner"... there was another post regarding this.. from brit.. he came off them successfully by using prozac. I wish you luck :)

juanna
19-06-11, 18:52
:ohmy:Oh dear sounds like you're having a bad time as well !! At the moment I am still having the brain shocks although they are becoming more bearable thank god. I think my anxiety became worse because of the venlafaxine so thats why the dose was high; but thankfully My new GP is supportive and is happy for me to come off it. It's an evil drug & even if i'm desperate it's not one i will ever go back on !! Good luck with you're withdrawal & maybe you would like to become anti- venlafaxine buddies lol !! Juanna :bighug1:

kibbutz83
19-06-11, 19:11
Hi again juanna, yes anti-venlafaxine buddies! Sounds good :) Maybe we can support eachother through the bad times x

juanna
20-06-11, 10:30
:)Hey yep that would be good !! compare notes & stuff. Am going to see my psychiatrist this afternoon; so will keep you posted. I feel a bit better today but still getting some brain shocks & this is day five of withdrawal so am really hoping this all stops soon .... How are you getting on today ?

brit
20-06-11, 17:03
HI Juanna, i know what you are going through as i came off Venlafaxine a few weeks ago.
What helped me was taking 20mg of Fluoxetine daily for a week, then stop.
It works in a very similar way to Venlafaxine, but (and this is the key bit) it has a much longer half life, meaning it leaves the body more slowly, in turn creating less horrible withdrawal symptoms.

My doc was sceptical ( i read about it on the net) but it really really helped me.
Also Benadryl helped with the brain zaps.
I feel your pain, but it doesent have to be as bad as it is.
Hope that helps.

deepreason
21-06-11, 17:44
Don't forget the tablets go right down to 37.5 mg in size so you can gradually taper your dose down. Just reduce it a small amount and wait until you feel stable at the new dose ( even if that takes some months) then make another small reduction.

Personally I found both exercise and essential oils helped. Burning a mix of tea tree, lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus in one of those vaporiser things really helped with the withdrawal effects for me.

I got from 300 mg to zero in about 4 weeks but I wanted to rush it to get onto a new med. Not that I'd reccomend doing it that quick but I also needed to get rid of 30 mg of Mirtazapine and have a further 2 weeks cold turkey before I could start my MAOI. Because I did it all so fast I had to use a bit of codeine and some valium. The codeine was no problem but the valium can be a bit addictive afterwards.

lleksam
24-07-11, 15:09
Withdrawal effects lasted about 3-4 weeks for me.

Lizziesaurus
24-07-11, 19:08
I too am currently suffering an it's bloody awful! :weep:

deedee6270
04-02-12, 11:15
Hi Guys,

I'm 8 days off Venlafaxine 75mg XL-wasnt my choice! could't get an GP appointment and surgery did not respond to mine or pharmacist plea for an emergency prescription. So i have done it on my own (I even got chucked out of a support group as I did not want to go to A&E and wanted to try and do it as was on day 4). I have managed to go to work all week and some of my symptoms have started to subside. HOWEVER, I now seem to have developed flu or a chest infection??? chest hurts, chesty cough, blocked nose, feel sick, heartburn, achy bones and muscles and sooooo tired. Is this withdrawal or have I just got flu!!

xx Deedee