PDA

View Full Version : Tips please?

nhf
19-06-11, 14:38
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has any tips to help me deal with the physical symptoms of the anxiety??????

I understand what i am feeling is all down to anxiety but i cant seem to get this message through to the rest of my body :weep:

I use the breathing technique quite alot - in to a count of four and out to a count of 8. Just wondered if anyone could suggest anything to get rid of the shakey feeling - it just doesnt seem to go away - i jog to try and use up the adrenalin but it just doesnt seem to want to go away and this is whats making the anxiety stick around.

Thanks in advance xxx

AlexandriaUK
19-06-11, 15:31
I know what you mean, we should be able to get through it but I am afraid sometimes its stronger than out mental powers, try running not jogging it is the best way to release good endorfins.

nhf
19-06-11, 15:36
I know what you mean, we should be able to get through it but I am afraid sometimes its stronger than out mental powers, try running not jogging it is the best way to release good endorfins.

Thank you for the reply!!

I'm slowly building up to running - i'm quite unfit! Since the start of my PA and HA ive taken up jogging and managed to loose 2 1/2 stone and my fitness is increasing every week. Hopefully when i can actually run this will help bring the anxiety down a bit more (i hope so as at the moment it feels like it will never go away!)
xxx

AlexandriaUK
19-06-11, 16:04
I cant say it will go completely as I have had it nearly all my life but there will come a time when you can deal with it better.
I dont know how old you are but getting fit is a great thing to do, I gave up smoking and I am sure it has helped.

Anna C
19-06-11, 16:05
Hi,

A relaxation or hypnotherapy cd might help you to relax your body which should help with the symptoms.

I don't shake but I do have other symptoms which have caused me lots of anxiety and distress over the years. I think what has helped me most is accepting its just anxiety and it can't hurt me even if it feels really horrible at the time. Normally now because I don't add anymore fear my symptoms go quickly - it takes a lot of practice though.

I know its not easy and I have been the same as you are now. I hope it gets easier for you soon.

Take care
Anna

nhf
19-06-11, 16:22
Thankyou both! I really appreciate your replies. :flowers:

My anxiety is a result of a health scare back in February - I was having palps and the doctor sent me to hospital by ambulance (scared of hospital!) which made things a million times worse for me. After this day i completely changed my diet - gave up caffeine cold turkey (that was hell on its own! i used to drink 2ltrs of diet coke a day) cut out all the junk food and replaced it with fruits and veg

The hospital wanted me to have a heart scan but i had to wait 8 weeks for it. I think the 8 weeks of constant worrying that something could be wrong with my heart has caused the anxiety & PA/HA - even tho i was given the all clear (although this was by the lady performing the test - the hospital never actually contacted me again) i now notice every little feeling in my body and seem to completely overreact to it. Before this i was one of those people that ignored everything - hadnt been to the doctor in ten years! Cant believe the effect our thoughts can have on our bodies.....
xxx

With the shaking - when i hold my arm/hand up im not actually shaking i think its just the internal feeling i get from the adrenaline :(

nhf
19-06-11, 16:34
What relaxation CDS would anyone recomend? I have one called Body & Soul relaxtion that i borrowed from a friend. Does anyone have any other suggestions? x

jill
19-06-11, 22:30
Hi hun :D:hugs:

You have had some great advice already,

I know how scary this symptom can be, it is dame hard to change the way we think of a symptom, but it can be done, with alot of hard work , time and the right support.

We can unkowingly hold onto a symptom by how we think of the symptom, how we react to a symptom, Mmm I know, very strange, but I know from myself, I had done this lots of times and by changing the way I think has over time, helped it go away.

Apart from whats already been said, I used one relaxation cd. still have it and use it from time to time, mine is a self hypnoses one. You can get them in boarders, ask anyplace that sells cds or you can get them off the net. I must admit, I did buy another one, but its not that good, I keep using the same one, just love his voice :yesyes:

I also tried to change the way I thought about the shaking, insead of thinking scary unreasuring thoughts, I would think of other things, I would try and think what it remided me of, try and hold myself in the shaking, thinking it reminded me of those vibrating chairs you can get or think to myself, hay, its not that bad really it feel quite nice. I felt, that if I used the cds, done some excersis, learnt to relax, changed my attatued towars it it would go, Mmm it in the end, but this took alot of hard work and time.

Hope this helps a little, even if its just knowing your not alone and this symptom dose go.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

nhf
19-06-11, 22:49
Hi Jill

Thank you very much for your responce :flowers: - I found a relaxation cd i could purchase online earlier, downloaded it and listened to it. It was only half hour long and i have to say even after listening to it only once i feel so much calmer and relaxed!! :)

I will be adding it to my ipod and making good use of it.

I will definatly try your suggestion about linking the feelings to good situations too!!

Thanks again, Nadine xx:hugs: