PDA

View Full Version : Fat = Anxiety (Apparently)

Reena
19-06-11, 14:56
Ha ha. Hope I didnt offend anyone! I am fat always have been and I guess the constant 'happy face' has forced me to bury many feelings. As a big person I have always been more than willing to please 'yes sir no sir, three bags full sir' but as I approach 30 something has clicked. Im angry at other people for making me feel different, im annoyed that I have to hide who I really am and i'm sick to death of health professionals linking everything to my weight. As my assertiveness is creeping back the weight has began to fall off....it must be said that im trying harder but im also living!. The icing on the cake was the comment off a GP who claimed that the only reason I have health anxiety is because of my weight. I asked is there a known cause, a trigger, a trauma and he replied 'Nope, shift the weight and you will shift the anxiety'. The old me said thankyou...the new me said f++k you. I work extremely hard to live alongside my anxiety everyday and ive refused countless lazy solutions from the GP such as anti-depressants. I may need them in the future but for now self-help is my alternative therapy. Im starting a Midwifery degree in September and alongside the demanding course I will have a battle with Health Anxiety on my hands. I understand that being overweight can produce terminal health conditions what I dont accept is inconsiderate, uneducated Doctors with a poor bedside manner and an ignorant attitude to people who don't fit in with the normal BMI. I cannot change this but will do my utmost to ensure that I do pass these qualities on as a practicing midwife...
The battle with Health Anxiety continues
Thanks for listening Ri x

Jannie2948
19-06-11, 15:09
Hi Ri, absolutely love your post. I too am overweight, nothing awful but a couple of stone more than I should be. I too have always been the one that is always "happy on the outside", I am the first to make the joke, make people laugh and always the first to make a joke about "how big I am". I have lost weight, put on weight, lost it again, put more on again and now that I am quite "old" I really don't worry about it, and I have found that I am really happy just being me. I have been suffering with panic/anxiety (mainly health anxiety) for the last couple of years but am now at a point where I am coming off my meds and I am feeling so much more positive. I have had Dr's tell me I should weigh such and such and what to eat and what not to eat, but hey ho I am now happy and although I would like to be "slimmer" I don't let it rule my life. I wish you all the very best in your midwifery course and hope you stay a happy person and enjoy your life and hope that you get anxiety free.
All the very best to you
Jannie x x

no_name
19-06-11, 15:11
I don't think the anxiety (or some other temporary mental illness) have something in common with your body weight, at least physically. If you can manage to defeat the anxiety without medication, it will be perfect! But if not- don't be afraid of taking some pills, they will certainly help you.

Trish
19-06-11, 15:11
Very well said:) and all the very best to you.

Trishx

Reena
19-06-11, 19:04
Thanks for your advice and you time. This site is very inspiring and im pleased ive found it x

Ambers
19-06-11, 19:15
I was told that my symptoms may be due to my weight - or for me under-weight. I know this is reversed from you but the doctor did mention this to me last week and I also get comments from other people about not eating enough and looking pale. The fact is I eat healthy and plenty of it - so I get mad when people feel they have a right to tell me that I should eat more. It appears that I am not anxious about my weight but others around make me feel bad. Hope you dont mind me posting that - and well done for turning a corner and being true to yourself.

Reena
19-06-11, 20:41
I don't mind at all your more than entitled to comment. I totally get what you are saying and would say that everyone gets judged for something or another but your GP etc should not do that. Its frustrating i guess for you and like me you just want to help yourself with the problems that are affecting your life (Health Anxiety). All we can do is challenge them, get a second opinion if necessary and use your experience to ignore them ha ha. There are some doctors who understand (I must say this) x