PDA

View Full Version : work worries

katykaty
20-06-11, 07:24
Hi,

I started my job (as a primary school teacher) at the start of May, I worked at another school Sept-Dec last year and did supply work in between my old and new job.

I love my job and feel so welcome in the school, but it still doesn't stop me hating getting ready every morning for it. I often fantasise about calling in sick just to avoid it but knowing I'd be dropping my colleagues in a mess puts me off.

I did call in sick last week from Wed-Fri as I had conjunctivitis and flu symptoms. Going in today worries me as although I genuinely wasn't well I'm worried people will think I made it up. I'm also worried about being ill again and having to call in sick a second time.

I do enjoy my job (when I get there) but it is hard and can be stressful, however the fun moments make it worth it. I do have to bring a lot of work home with me so my working week is probably 8am-9pm weekdays and 10am-4pm on weekends.

I'm anxious to make a good impression at my school as I'm only contracted till December and I'd love to be kept on but yet I can't help thinking about good it would feel in January if I didn't have to get up on a morning.

Can anyone relate?!

Tyke
21-06-11, 01:34
Hi KatyKaty

Yes, I can relate to this. I never want to go in to work, but I do feel better once I'm actually there. The biggest problem for me is the anticipatory anxiety, which is always worse after a break for weekends or holidays. I often think it would be nice not to go, but I know I would feel really down if I didn't have a job!

Like you, I rarely go sick, but when I do I always feel people will doubt it was genuine. Why that should be when I probably have one of the best attendance records there is anyones guess. I suppose it's just part of anxiety. Even when I do have to call in sick I always wonder if I really sound sick enough, even if I've been up all night vomiting and am so weak I can hardly crawl to the toilet. I half expect my manager to scream down the phone 'you don't sound that bad, get yourself down here, you know we're short staffed!'.

If you like your job Katy, that's what's important at the end of the day.

Tyke