PDA

View Full Version : anxiety medication and alcohol

kira
20-06-11, 14:00
hi im thinking of going to the doctors for some medication to help with anxiety and panic attacks and i just wanted to know if you had to aviod alcohol with all anxiety medication as i have to socailize a couple of times a week for work in the eves and find a couple of glasses of wine helps me to relax and not panic?

Nicky32
20-06-11, 14:46
I drink sometimes with citalopram, no problems just hangovers. Shouldnt drink though when we have anxiety issues.

jill
20-06-11, 16:43
Hi hun :D:hugs:

They always say, know the medication your on, do your research, the best bet is to ask the doc,

From what I know, some meds you can have small amounts of alcohol.

I was on amatripalean and my doc said it was ok to drink, in modaration, but it may make me feel more tierd, Mmmm at the time tierdness had been one of my major problems, LOL but was fine having a drink.

Hope this helps a little, but please ask your gp

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

kira
21-06-11, 11:30
great thanks for reply

Tyke
23-06-11, 00:53
Hi Kira

I'm on Sertraline and the doc told me not to touch alcohol while on it. I think most SSRIs (anti-depressants) are the same. I do miss a drink now and then, but I haven't risked it, though I know people have. If you do drink, do it in moderation, but I understand it can make you feel worse the next day with SSRIs. Like Jill says though, it depends what you're on.

Tyke