PDA

View Full Version : help needed please

nervouswreck123
20-06-11, 20:13
i need some very urgent advice - how can i stop my self having a panic attack in the dentist chair? i have to go wednesday there is no way i can get out of it due to very very bad tooth infection from being to scarred to go. thing is im not scarred particularly of the dentist or the pain but of having a panic attack in the chair when i cant run away i panic before i even get through the door and i am terrified of the dentist making me gag and being sick (have EMET to :-() i dont know how to face it but also know i have to, any advice or personal experience would be appreciated

am shaking just typing this as im all ready terrified and its not for 2 days ...

nervouswreck123
20-06-11, 23:59
any advice would seriously help im having panic attacks daily just building up to going i have actually had thoughts of suicide rather than having to face going x the minute i think it would really suck to have a panic attack i start having one and i dont know how to even start coping with it, this is the 1st time i have ever admitted all this to anyone but my partner and its quite nerve wracking x

blueangel
21-06-11, 09:42
I think the best thing you can do is tell the dentist about this. I used to have severe anxiety about going to the dentist, but the guy I go to is brilliant. If you arrange a signal with the dentist to show him when you're feeling panicky, he can stop for a minute whilst you get your head back together. I've had loads of dental treatment and I've never really had problems with gagging, but if you tell him you have emetophobia, he'll be especially carefull if he has to touch the back of your mouth.

Hope this helps.