PDA

View Full Version : Can overbreathing make us pass out???

Farr06
24-04-06, 20:53
I read in a medical encyclopedia just now that hyperventilation can make us pass out as it washed the carbon dioxide out the blood stream quickly, so now I am panicking even more.. Can anyone reassure me about this? Mine is the 'gupling' kind, where I need to inhale deeply every few miutes

Anxiety Is Evil

jackie
24-04-06, 21:01
it can only in very extreme circumstances, and even if we do it is not harmful.

there are many of us who overbreath all the time and touch wood have never past out even after years of doing this. but i know there are a few people on here who have had that experience. but i must tell you not many

jackie

nell1965
24-04-06, 21:12
yep jackie is right,only in extreme cases.

I just want my life back
nell
x

jos
25-04-06, 00:18
hi there

check out my posts on overbreathing/hyperventilation in this section

jos

shiv
25-04-06, 14:33
It's VERY rare to pass out during a PA, but nothing is impossible.

Incidently, I wonder if any of you are aware that there is ONE, yes just one specific phobia where fainting is in fact common place during a PA and that is fear of injections. As most of you probably know , when we panic our blood pressure rises which is the reason it is very difficult to pass out. However with needle phobes, their blood pressure often drops when about to be injected and low blood pressure is normally what causes a faint.

But fainting is actually a healthy and logical physical response to any of you scared of it because we faint so that as we're on the floor our blood can easily travel up to the brain, usually bringing us around pretty much straight away!

Shiv x