PDA

View Full Version : First time taking Propranolol

fennf
20-06-11, 22:15
Hi,

I got prescribed Propranolol 40mg today, just five tablets. I have general anxiety, but these were just prescribed so I could get through some public speaking that i'm very anxious about.

The doctor advised me to try taking one of them before to see how they feel, and I'm going to do that tomorrow.

I've now started to convince myself that it will slow my heart down so much that it will stop. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Hazel B
21-06-11, 14:55
Nope! Your heart will slow to a rate less noticeable. Mine went from 120 bpm to 80 bpm the first few days and after a month I was back to my usual 64 bpm and off the tablets. They will block the adrenaline "fight or flight" reaction and will also help with sweaty palms, urge to use the loo etc. They take about 30-40 mins to work and lasted 4-6 hours for me.

Carlosis
21-06-11, 17:17
Hi, i was prescribed these today and was also told to try one just to see how i got on. I'm about an hour into the first 40mg tablet and can happily confirm my heart rate is still keeping me alive! i feel very relaxed and that's it so have no concerns about taking your first one.

Carl x