PDA

View Full Version : thoughts or voices

april tones
02-04-04, 19:58
hi, does any one get obsessional thoughts and worry thatthey are voices? how do you know if its inner voice and not somat else? i suffer from unwanted thoughts, went on medication and feel much better but had the thoughts alot toady. It is like i say some thing positive in my head and a voice, my voice says no, you want this to happen, etc. like ithink how much i love my loved ones and a voice says no you dont you want them to die. and things like that. Its awful! am i on my own? i have a fear of illness and death and i do worry about losing my family. I am a good person and i love my baby, partner etc and just want to protect them but these nagging thoughts are horrible. Its like im torturing my self cos im happy. i would be grateful of some one who knows where im coming from. HOW LONG DO TABlets take to kick in fully? thanks alot

apriltones

sarah
02-04-04, 20:08
Hiya April

Firstly you are definately not alone. Even so called 'normal' people get these irrational thougts. And thats all they are..thoughts, it doesnt mean you are going to act on them.

for instance a few weeks ago I was shopping with my husband and we bought a heavy vase that he was carrying. we went up the escalator and near the top he said 'wow if i drop this over the edge it would kill someone' - my husband is as normal as you can get (for an estate agent..lol) and even he thinks weird stuff like this too!

I used to obsess about him dying and went through the fantasy as far as what would I do if he did, my morgage would be paid off, would I stay there etc. Weird huh? It used to bother me that I thought things like this but I dont so much anymore and when I do I just forget them.

Your tablets should take a month ish to kick in properly but they wont be a miracle and stop the thoughts, just make it easier and make you happier so you dont dwell on them so much.

hope this reassures you

love Sarah
xx

april tones
02-04-04, 20:26
thanks sarah, that does reassure me, least i not alone. thanks x

apriltones

sarah
02-04-04, 20:29
glad to be of help :)

love Sarah
xx

Meg
02-04-04, 23:03
Thoughts not instructions.

Meg

sarah
03-04-04, 13:56
Yep, good point Meg

they are harmless thoughts..nothing more sinister.

love Sarah
xx

Ayesha
05-05-04, 19:18
hey i get thought's and mistake them for voices need sum help plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![V]

XAyeshaX

april tones
06-05-04, 22:52
hi ayesha, i read your introduce yourself bit and thought our storys were quite similar, i emailed you to chat, did you not get it?

apriltones

hazel
15-06-04, 11:50
Hi, not sure you'll look at this cos you wrote it some time ago but I get exactly the same. I seem to have developed an obsession with going mad (see my post in panic). It has got to the point where I too think my thoughts are voices at times.

Meg
15-06-04, 12:54
Thoughts only thoughts .

Everyone gets them but we keep hold of them and dwell and analyse them where everybody else dismisses them very shortly afterwards.

I don't advise you tell your doctor you're hearing voices. Be specific about the thought patterns.

Thoughts only thoughts and they cannot harm you.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

april tones
18-06-04, 20:59
hi hazel, its good to talk to someone who is going through same. Could you tell me more about it? dont worry if you dont want to, love april x

apriltones

hazel
21-06-04, 11:12
Hi April,

I am so worried about getting schizophrenia that I hear (??) my name a lot. It's never from an external source just in my head. I spoke to a community psychiatric nurse who is a family friend and he said it's nothing to worry about, it's just my mind repeating my name because it knows it worries me, it that makes sense? I think I might finally be getting over this worry as I've had plenty of reassurance so keeping my fngers crossed.

Meg - Just wondering why you said not to mention it to a Dr. I told a counsellor the other day so now I'm a bit concerned?

lazaru
21-06-04, 14:01
hi all,

i think alot of sufferers worry about being schizophrenic, especially with the really bad thoughts..mix that in with a panic and anxiety attack and you really do feel like youre losing control. im in the middle of quite a bad relapse at the moment, really bad obsessional thoughts, bad panic/anxiety attacks and a meds changeover...im scaring myself stupid half the time, my partners at work and taking time out from work to recover but the loneliness can set it off...does anyone else get a complete feeling of hopelesness when theyre feeling bad and theres no-one around you trust/feel comfortable with?

hazel, i get it with music..i'll get a song in my head to try and stop/supress weird/panicky thoughts, but then worry why i cant get the song out of my head.

Meg
21-06-04, 14:18
Hazel,

If you have a very fast non mental health orientated GP, telling him you hear Voices may not signal anxiety and thought patterns to him. He may think you mean voices and prescribe something you do not need.
All counsellors have more time and training to explore what you actually meant.

I was never good with being alone for long periods of time but I'm a very social creature so it's not suprising really.

Thoughts not instructions.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

lazaru
21-06-04, 14:20
do sounds make anyone freak out?sometimes i'll hear people walk past my flat or neighbours making noise and i'll panic, its almost 'what if i go crazy and they see me/hear me..think i'm the mad guy next door?' or what if i start having bad obsessional thoughts about them....imagine if i attacked a passer by/neighbour'...i know its classic panic/anxiety/ocd symptoms but that doesnt stop you from feeling like your losing it for a moment..

hazel
21-06-04, 16:14
Lazaru,

I've not had that before but on the whole your anxiety problem etc sound a lot like mine ie. obessions without compulsions, panic etc. Have you ever had any treatment or medication?

Meg
21-06-04, 16:22
Lazaru,

Any trigger to any sense is valid. Smells do it for some people

If it's for 'a moment' then you are doing very well . Congratulations.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

lazaru
21-06-04, 20:04
hazel,

ive been medicated for 6 years with varying doses of anafranil, but its just not working anymore and i am in the middle of a bad relapse. now on efexor which im new to but fingers crossed it will work.

meg,

thanks for the reassurance...it calms me to hear from so many people who suffer the same symptoms, its like we can all club together and feel as though were not going mad!!!