PDA

View Full Version : Potential symptom- back pain when lying down at night

lizamoran
22-06-11, 04:26
It's all in the title, I guess. I'm worried about spinal cancer or god knows what else.

I asked my doctor about lower back pain I got when lying down at night, and she determined that it didn't matter because the pain hadn't gotten progressively worse over time (quite mild for a few weeks, maybe months, I wasn't sure, and it had actually disappeared by the time I talked to her), wasn't bad enough to warrant pain medication, and didn't flare up when she poked, prodded and pushed my spine and I bent over and whatever else she had me do.

But now it's returned, and it's worse. When I lie on my back at night it hurts very little at first, and then more and more as the seconds go by until I have to turn and lay on my side.

But, I tried lying down just now (for the second time tonight) and this time I felt fine. So what's going on?!

I'm 18, which makes back pain unusual.

Please help! Do any of you know of less serious explanations for this, or should I get it checked out?

EDIT: I've just read some of the symptoms (online) for the condition I'm concerned about, and cold feet/legs is listed. My feet do often feel preternaturally cold. But does this just happen sometimes? How cold is too cold?

anxietyoverload
22-06-11, 08:57
i went through a patch where i had horrible lower back pain for ages, im only 20, but its nothing to be concerned about, especially if your doctor has said so, they know what they are talking about :)
i get lower back pain even when im cleaning up!! just unlucky i guess :)

lizamoran
22-06-11, 21:24
Thanks for the reply.
I guess what concerns me is that this isn't a strain, which would be normal (and is probably what you were experiencing if it was while cleaning). The pain has been there for at least two months, maybe three (and maybe more?). It has, I guess, gotten worse over time. As of today it hurts a bit during the day, too (and when I lay on my back this morning to check, it did indeed hurt. I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad sign- most serious illnesses which cause back pain cause worse pain at night, but I'm sure some cause pain which persists during the day). And I can't tell whether my feet are abnormally cold or normally cold.
I'm not athletic and there was no injury to cause this.

Any other responses?

nomorepanic
22-06-11, 21:43
Are you sure it isn't your bed/mattress that is causing the pains?

gaaron
22-06-11, 23:20
Hi, backpain can feel worse when we're tense. Also sometimes backpain appears worse at night because we tend to focus on 'things' then as there's nothing else to distract us. I've had backpain for over 30 yrs, it's quite common. Take care x