PDA

View Full Version : GASTRITIS - BUT WORRIED ITS SOMETHING MORE

mandie
25-04-06, 13:57
Hi

I went to my gp yesterday after spending the night before being sick and having a terrible pain in the stomach which felt like i was being kicked.

He told me it was gastritis and will clear up on its own

However im convincing myself its something else, something serious that he has missed.

i dont feel really unwell, just have this pain in the middle of my tummy. its a very sore kind of feeling which hurts when its pressed.

I hate getting anything wrong with me cause i start imagining the worst.

Has anyone else had gastritis or this kind of pain? Im getting myself worked up which is probably not helping

thanks

mandie

mandie
25-04-06, 14:09
Thank you for the quick reply Lucy.

I do suffer with IBS but this pain is so much worse. Then again maybe only worse cause iv never had it before!

Love mandie

shiv
25-04-06, 14:20
Yep, Lucy's right. I get THE MOST HORRENDOUS gastritis. If you look back on one of my posts last week, you'll see I spent easter monday night in hospital with one of the worst pains I've ever experienced in my life. ( Ihave given birth to 3 large-ish babies too so I know about pain!)

The pain actually took DAYS just to become bearable so I'm with you on this hun. Since my latest bout and having been prescribed losec, I've spoke to many of my friends who have had this same problem and been prescribed the same thing although theirs was down to stress. But then stress, anxiety basically are the same problem just with different symptoms.

Your problem definitely sounds like gastritis which actually isn't a specific illness but a combination of symptoms in the stomach area that are down to stress and an over-production of stomach acid giving a range of feelings from bloating and gas to diabolical stomach pains and nausea.

Hope that helps you and make sure you take your tablets as long as you're told to because gastritis can take a long time to completely disappear, particularly if you're stressed or anxious

Shiv x

jackie
25-04-06, 14:42
mandie i get stomach pain alot and a feeling that something is not right . i have been feeling the constant need to be sick for about 4 weeks now and am finding it hard to believe its simply anxiety, but it is a classic symptom.

i know it is hard not to think the worse and when something is actually wrong it makes us fear mor eif thats possible

im sure yuor doc is right, it is not likely he has got it wrong

jackie

nomorepanic
25-04-06, 19:33
Mandie

Shiv's post is here ...

A cautionary tale for all you meds phobes! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9561)

Nicola

mandie
25-04-06, 22:45
Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It does make you feel better when somebody else has been through the same.

My stomach feels so sore and bruised tonight. I feel like i have been in a fight!. I might visit the gp again tomorrow and see if he can prescribe some tablets.

love mandie x

nomorepanic
25-04-06, 22:50
Losec is fab and works very quickly!

Hope you feel better soon - I know how horrid and painful it is so can really sympathise.

Nicola

feege
26-04-06, 09:17
Hiya

I'm another one that suffers... I have had IBS for 20 years - it has been horrific at times but has settled completely for periods of up to 6 months (heaven!).

I have had every test under the sun culminating in an endoscopy lately and diagnosed with hiatus hernia and duodenitis and started on Losec 3 weeks ago. It hasn't settled it completely and seems to come back every 3-4 days, always in the middle of the night and doesn't ease off until I have passed a motion (don't you love that expression!!) and then I get the big D for a couple of days (which is preferable cos it doesn't hurt!!!).

I am also taking colofac now which is an anti-spasmodic.

I'm interested in the dosage and use of Losec - I didn't realise I was likely to be on it long term - this is my first month and I'm on 20mg - maybe I should up the dose?

It's such a classic thing, you just know anxiety affects it so much, producing so much acid can't help and the whole of the colon is muscular and can so easily spasm with tension.

I think if we don't panic about the symptoms it gets better so much more quickly but that's easier said than done!!!

Good luck xxxx

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

Forrest
26-04-06, 13:12
ibs and axiety go hand in hand trust me because iam one of them here is a great audio on ibs and axietyhttp://www.ja-online.com/dukeibs/#

shiv
26-04-06, 16:41
With losec, i started on 20mg per day but was told to double up to 40mg per day for a week so your system gets flooded with it, then go back down to 20 mg per day for a few weeks then eventually down to 10mg.

Shiv x