PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Rachael, 25 from the Midlands

Miss Pink
25-04-06, 14:33
Hi I'm Rachael, I'm 25 and from the Midlands and I've been suffering from anxiety for nearly a year now.

It started with dizziness, faintness, sinking feelings and balance problems and I started to have panic attacks about having a terminal illness etc, which turned into a health anxiety (I was convinced I had a brain tumour)

At my worst I had to take 2 months off work and tormented my Doctor who has always told me it is anxiety and refused to do more than blood tests and a physical as he thinks reassurance will not help (I can see his point ! I was even convinced they had mixed up my blood results etc)

My health phobia is slightly better, no longer thinking about a brain tumour, but it seemed that my brain has got so used to worrying that it swapped to another illness after illness (e.g., mad cow disease, HIV, cancer etc)

Some days are better than others, managaing to keep the panic attacks a bit better under control, but still seem to spend every waking minute (especially when I'm on my own) thinking "what's wrong with me - will I ever feel normal again etc"

Have spent a lot on self-help books, visualisation CD's etc - even bought the Linden Method for £100 in desperation to return to "normal" (I know it's a lot, but I'm still living at home so luckily no mortgage yet ! LOL), but still can't stop the intrusive thoughts. At the minute its ignoring the feeling that I'm in a dreamworld and that I must be mentally ill - schizophrenia terrifies me and somenights I have got myself into a state of panic expecting to hear voices.

My memory is pretty poor, especially short term and sometimes try and test myself (e.g., what did I do this time last week). When I have trouble remembering I also start to panic (I wish I could remember what my memory was like before all this - it could be the same and I just wouldn't realise!)

Anyway, as usual I am rambling! I have really appreciated looking on here to read other people's experiences, its an amazing feeling when you read someone experiencing the same as you (sometimes I truly do feel I'm the only one in the world !) So thanks for all you help so far for sharing your stories on this website.

I hope I can get some/share some advice with you all and will leave by sending you all kind thoughts as I know what you are going through! It sucks !

Take Care

Rachael

‹(•¿•)› Best Wishes To You All ! ‹(•¿•)›

jackie
25-04-06, 14:40
rachael your story sounds so familiar to me and to many others. were all here to support you, i know how c**p this horrible fear is

jackie

shiv
25-04-06, 14:47
Health is the big one for many of us here and when we are finally convinced we're not going to have a heart attack or other dastardly disease another one will seep it's way into our sub-conscious and the next thing we're convinced we have something else and yesterday's illness is long forgotten! I tell you, I'd love a pound for each illness or condition I've imagined I've had!!

Shiv x

hayles
25-04-06, 15:02
Rach,

You sounds just like me......
I saw that Linden method on the internet and toyed with buying it for
months but have a mortgage so couldnt justify it....was it a load on nonsense?

I am much better then i was, similar to you,, the panics are better by I still query every little twitch, ache pain and obssess about what major illness it is. If I see, read anything about death, I convince myself its me next....yep thats right Im Nuts.....lol

Hope to hear more from you and welcome!!!!

Hugs

Hay x

Miss Pink
25-04-06, 15:12
Thanks for all your messages so far ! you truly are a cool bunch

Hayley, sorry about the mortgage LOL! Well, the Linden Method is quite useful as it comes with some audio relaxation CD's but i have found it difficult as it is about ignoring and distracting thoughts (which I am not good at !), I think I'll give it another proper go though soon (I did it some days, left it others) and I'll let you know how it goes !!

Take Care

Rachael

PS I know what you mean about hearing illnesses mentioned and having them, I can't read newspapers anymore as if i read an article about someone dying from Blue Spotted Frog Disease (or something more traditional !!!) I can always find at least one symptom the same as mine . . . . .and so the ball rolls........!

katyfitz
25-04-06, 20:26
oh m y god u sound so much like me we will get thgru this xccxxx

Karen
25-04-06, 22:32
Hi Rachael

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Alexandra
25-04-06, 22:40
Hi Rachael

Welcome to the forum you will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

jackie
26-04-06, 09:59
yeah you sound like me too, anything to do with the heart seems to attract itself to my ears and the next thing you know ill be in me doctors asking could i have it

not alone

one day

jackie

chucklehound
26-04-06, 11:21
Hi Rachael, I too started with dizziness and it went on to panic attacks. Although my dizziness is still a big problem, I find that trying to ignore it and get on with the day has helped.
Welcome to the forum!:D

trac67
26-04-06, 13:34
Hi Rachael,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

lin
26-04-06, 14:04
Hi Racheal

Welcome to the forum you will get lots of help and support.

I too suffer anxiety have now for 4yrs simular symtoms to you i also thought i had something serious wrong with me. It took me a long time to be convinced it was anxiety but now when i do get it i know it will go away.

I too am from the midlands.

linda xx

Miss Pink
26-04-06, 14:21
Thanks for everyones well wishes ! Reading through them has made me feel a litter warmer inside :-)

Rachael x