PDA

View Full Version : Is it vertigo?

devon_guy
25-04-06, 17:09
I was having a good anxiety free evening and day until this afternoon when I was talking to colleagues and all of a sudden, my vision seemed to go funny, I felt like I was going to fall, I tried to walk and my legs felt like I was walking on a rolling boat, it lasted about 2 or 3 seconds I guess and was very scary and since then I've been really tense dreading it happen again and consequently have developed into full blown panic.

Does anyone else suffer from these short bursts of dizziness where you cant see and feels as though you are spinning and about to fall?

I'm just so annoyed just as I was going really well its all come crashing down around my ears again:(

sandra114
25-04-06, 17:29
This happens to me regularly, my Doctor told me it was just another one of the symptoms of Anxiety. I hope your feeling OK now.

Sandra x

devon_guy
25-04-06, 17:50
Hmmm the thing is I wasn't consciously feeling anxious, in fact quite the opposite, I was really thrilled I felt so good!

shiv
25-04-06, 18:31
The thing is, us anxiety sufferers are prone to bursts of adrenalin being released even without the feelings of anxiety. It may be what brought on our first PA. It is virtually proven that people with anxiety disorders do get adrenalin rushes out of the blue and the first thing adrenalin does is to make us dizzy because the blood rushes from our head to the extremities in preparation to fight.

I know how you feel though and I get this and although I'm pretty sure it's excess adrenalin it still makes me panic. The best cure is to try and burn it off with excercise.

Shiv x

mandie
25-04-06, 23:21
Devon Guy

I know how you feel. Even when i think im pretty relaxed i get these funny head rushes that last couple of seconds.

Then i end up all panicky for hours after.

mandie x

kt
29-04-06, 21:47
Hi Devon-guy,
i get these wierd head things too and i totally dread having to stand up still for even a few minutes. I struggle to hold a conversation with someone stood up as i am scared i will go dizzy and wobbly. I think i can trace this back to last year when i fainted in a carpark after talking to a friend. It was so scary and i worry alot about it happening again. I get these feelings even when i think i have been doing ok and am not at all stressed or anxious! Crazy huh??
take care, you're not alone with this one, hugs, kt x

Be gentle and you will need no strength, be patient and you will achieve all things.

Juliamidlands
30-04-06, 18:08
Hi Devon Guy

Sounds like an anxiety symptom to me, and not vertigo.
I get a lot of 'head rushes' when I am feeling anxious but they disappear quickly.

Actually, a couple of months back, I was signed off work with vertigo, I did not feel at all anxious (which is how I knew it was completely different to an anxiety head-rush), I felt CONSTANTLY sea-sick to the point where I had to have help walking around the house, I saw my doctor who diagnosed vertigo and signed me off work as I was unable to drive needless to say. I was also prescribed medication that is used to treat ear infections and travel sickness

So I think you'd know if you had vertigo, it's a pretty much constant feeling whereas the anxiety-related dizziness you describe comes and goes..I know how you feel though, those head-rushes are the worst :-(

Julia x

'To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world'.

Daisybun
03-05-06, 12:21
I have had vertigo for 20 years and it is not nice. i get dizzy feelings too which will pass. Vertigo knocks you out for quite a while - yu are unsteady on your feet etc. For anyone who does suffer from vertigo I found a great balance therapist a few years ago who gave me some exercises to do, up until that point if I had an attack I was knocked out for days and felt quite unreal. these exercises have meant i no longer take meds - which can make you feel worse.

Jabz
05-05-06, 20:37
i couldve written this post myself....

i too can be very relaxed and actually happy to be getting over anxiety when all of a sudden ill get a very weakinening feeling, it feels as though things around me are moving, as if im able to feel the rotation of the earth..my knees buckle and my eyes get itchy..this lasts for a split second..but good enough to disorient you and make you start worrying...

i just live with these for now..as nothing really happens as annoying as they are...but am probably gonna have them checked out by a doctor.

Daisybun
06-05-06, 20:23
The only way i know how to describe the difference between vertigo and dizziness is with dizziness/lightheadedness the things around you 'move' with vertigo it feels like everything in yur head is going round - it is very weird. Hope this helps.

katies
07-05-06, 16:55
Hi Devon Man

I get these too and they are most disturbing as they seem to happen out of the blue when I am doing nothing strenous or stressful and they totally knock me off my feet as I feel like all the old symtpoms are returning.

I too wondered if it was vertigo and spent hours on the net researching but having had my ears tested etc am not convinced it is just another anxiety symptom to cope with.

Good luck

Katie S

P.S. Am a Devon Lady !!

kentlad
08-05-06, 18:51
hi just the other day was on xbox was having a realy good day then turned round to talk to sister and bam panic felt scared and ill no reason just seems to hit you without any reason still feeling bad 2 days later hope you are ok now

katies
08-05-06, 19:33
Thats really odd as the same happened to me a few weeks back when I tunred round to in the car to talk to my dad !!

reddevil
19-04-09, 11:34
..this happened to me.

I was enjoying the sun, doing gardening and picked a bag up, turned around and bang - DIZZINESS, since then I have not been relaxed again.

june
19-04-09, 12:29
The only way i know how to describe the difference between vertigo and dizziness is with dizziness/lightheadedness the things around you 'move' with vertigo it feels like everything in yur head is going round - it is very weird. Hope this helps.
This is a really good explanation of the difference between the two:yesyes:

I said i felt like "alice falling down the hole" inside my head was black and spinning Just a couple of seconds BUT Oh my the fear!!!!!!!:weep:
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

june
20-04-09, 15:03
I have also posted this elsewhere - it seemed right to re-do it.
Hope it helps

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)
You feel suddenly light-headed, woozy or dizzy. This is sometimes accompanied by a feeling that you might faint or pass out. It also may feel as though you are walking on a boat, or that the floor seems to move up and down and it's hard to balance. You may also have difficulty placing your feet because your perception of the ground or floor may be wrong. In some cases it may seem that even though you are standing on a firm floor, the floor may be vibrating or moving.

This is a very common feeling that most sufferers get. It’s usually as a result of hyperventilation but also of intense fear and the adrenalin hit.
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

Piglet
20-04-09, 15:21
Yes I get both dizziness and vertigo too - and I don't like either! :mad:

Love Piglet :flowers:

reddevil
20-04-09, 16:26
Do people have theirs 24/7?

BasilCat
22-04-09, 09:14
Hi Daisybun, You have described what happened to me in bed one morning, to an absolute "T". It was absolutely dreadful. Out of nowhere everything in my head was moving round!!! It was on a Saturday morning and I cried all weekend after that. I was in shock. It can have only lasted 30 seconds but it felt like 30 years!! I thought I had had a stroke or something. I have been told it was positional vertigo. So having anxiety at the same time made it a whole load worse too. Also, I have had these sudden spells of dizziness come out of nowhere. I know how everyone feels and they scare me to death too.

Shirley