PDA

View Full Version : My body is a walking TIMEBOMB!

flobrien
23-06-11, 18:49
Ha! I have to laugh as this is exactly how I feel most days! If I don't have some weird symptom to worry, fret and research about then I sit in a corner rocking myself waiting to die or get that inevitable terminal illness that we are all BOUND to get! :wacko:

After hearing so many stories of people dying young from unpreventable illnesses/accidents, or watching the tv with them telling me everything I've been eating/drinking/inhaling for the last 35 years is going to kill me, I sometimes wonder how on earth we survive!!! It feels like we live on some major assault course just trying to dodge the death bullets.

I just want to relax and laugh and enjoy life to its full potential but feel like I've got my khaki's and war paint on ready to take a blow from the grim reaper!

Surely we're not all going to die young of something scary, or we wouldn't have an ever increasing elderly population, right?

Fi x

blueangel
24-06-11, 09:52
This is an extremely good point!

I think what all of us as anxiety sufferers need to do is take new stories in context. Tales of distress and suffering sell newspapers, and make good tv, as humanity seems to be strangely attracted them. However, what we need to remember is that often these stories are about things that are not "average" - average stuff is simply not interesting enough and is not newsworthy.

But because we are sensitive to stuff like this, it seems to set off the "anxiety glands" and we start to identify with the news stories, and then attach the possibility of them to ourselves.

Rhys1879SAFC
24-06-11, 18:37
Its ridiculous isn't it?

There's so much bad news these days that its hard not to be scared, you see headlines about teenagers dieing of cancer etc.. and your thinking "that could be me" which then turns into "maybe I do have it or maybe I will get it soon".

You really can't win.

I try and relax by telling myself that the average life expectancy in this country is 75 so why should I fall short of that? An absolutely huge amount of people make it to old age and a tiny percentage die young.

Usually helps me abit.