PDA

View Full Version : How do we stop ourselves fixating on one thing?

MVP123
24-06-11, 08:21
Hi guys, how is it that once we have the lastest niggle/ache cleared up the relief is only temporary. Cause not long after we will feel another slight ache and start thinking 'what's that', and once that dreaded thought has popped into your head, that's it, its stuck there and the more you think of it the more prominent the ache comes until it has taken over all other thought process? I was cleared last weekend of a blood clot after making a dash to my local walk in centre, obv just muscle tension. But lo and behold last night I felt a slight ache just to the back of my arm pit so I instantly thought breast cancer and immediately started to feel for lumps, none were found, and it is obv just muscle tension again. So why can't I get my thoughts away from it and focus on something else, any tips anyone?

Ellie-Bear
24-06-11, 12:23
Hiya,
I totally agree with what you say, it's one thing after another! I wish I had some tips for you to break this horrible cycle but I haven't :-(
A year ago I had many aches and pains and I would just put it down to sore muscles and ignore it but now I cannot, if I have a strange ache or pain it has to be the worst case scenario, the big C. It's my boobs atm, I've had them checked and there is nothing wrong but they ache and I can't stop thinking about it. It's almost like I keep poking at prodding at them so I can find a lump so my mind is made happy that there is something wrong with me, very strange. Hope that makes sense!!
Think its just all down to the joys of HA. Wish I could have some control of my mind to rid the thoughts that everything is a worse case scenario.
Take care of yourself.
Ellie. x

flobrien
24-06-11, 15:49
Yes me too Ellie, have the boob fear this week too! What makes it worse is that a local girl only 31 with a 3yr old son has breast cancer for the 2nd time, only this time they wont operate and she has to fight this bloody thing using alt therapies! We did a Toddler Waddle to raise money for her today and everyone was there happy and positive but no not me, spent every spare minute prodding at my boobs thinking oh my god I must be NEXT! :D What's worse is that I had a breast reduction 10 years ago and I still get a bit of nerve pain around scar tissue so of course I link all of this to the big C!

Argh, sorry went off on a bit of a tangent! haha, you see always focusing on myself! So in other words I have no idea how to stop this, I am hoping CBT will be a big help in trying to direct my thoughts elsewhere...
Good luck!
Fi x