PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Carolinemargaret
25-04-06, 21:54
Hello, My name is caroline and I have suffered from panic or anxiety for most of my life, from washing my hands when I was young to feeling that i could not swallow as I got older to feeling like I cant breathe now!! I dont seem to have full on panic attacks(i dont think, or very rarely if I do) - I just seem to have these horrible symptoms all the time! This one has been around for years and I ahve good and bad periods. Currently going through a bad one for about the last 2 months(although I have been worse in the past - although it seems hard to believe, but i kept a diary a few years back and i was in a bad way. My problem is that i feel like I cant take a deep breath and I am going to stop breathing and collapse or worse die, so I constantly make myself cough or eat mints(till i feel sick) to ensure that I keep breathing.(sounds silly I know) . I just feel like I am the only person to have this symptom and it really gets to me that I cant seem to beat it. I am lucky to have good friends, family and a supportive doctor, who never makes me feel silly and listens and tells me its not bad to be on tablets and I should take them when I need them as that is what they are there for! I didnt mean to write so much,I just wanted to say Hi really. I just want to feel normal and not have to worry about going too far from my home or work, in case I cant breathe, it just feels like i will be like this forever and I worry about how i will do things like have children...even though thats not even an option now as I dont even have aboyfriend.....but I just seem to worry about things. Anyway thats it I am really stopping now!! caroline :-)

Karen
25-04-06, 22:14
Hi Caroline

Welcome to the forum. You are not alone with your symptoms. Have you had any therapy for these problems?

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Alexandra
25-04-06, 22:41
Hi Caroline

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

jackie
26-04-06, 09:57
hope you love it here, your not alone about the breathing thing we all get it. i get it but am afraid to cough silly but hard to change

hope we can all support you

jackie

Two heads
26-04-06, 10:53
Welcome!Feel free to tell all about your blips as we are all there for each other.We all get good times and bad so your not alone.
The breathing was my frist ever anxiety sigh and still haset gone!!xx

chucklehound
26-04-06, 11:19
Hi Caroline and welcome to the forum!:D

trac67
26-04-06, 13:35
Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Blue Child
26-04-06, 14:25
Hiya Caroline,
Glad you have found this site...you will be welcomed with open arms, as it is used by lots of extremely caring, friendly...and very wise...people. I'm on here for a short time each day and it helps me to face any problems that I may have. I have had lots of very good advice and it is easy to know that it is applicable to my situation as so many of us here are in the same boat. So once again...welcome and we are always here for you.
Best wishes.
Blue

shiv
26-04-06, 16:29
Hi and welcome.
You'll find many people with the same symptoms, so you're definitely not alone!

Shiv x

nomorepanic
26-04-06, 19:00
Hi Caroline

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Nicola

Carolinemargaret
26-04-06, 19:03
just to say thanks all for your messages, i really hope that being on here will help me and that maybe my experience can help others
Caroline

MrsCluggy
26-04-06, 21:01
Hiya Caroline

Good to have you here. This is such a fantastic website you really have made an excellent choice.

I'm sorry to hear about your panic/breathing problem. These symptoms can be very distressing, I know. Have you tried any alternative therapies like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?

My GP referred me to an 8 week CBT course and, honestly, it is the best thing I have ever done. It really teaches you how to retrain your thought patterns, and analyse what the body does physically during a panic attack. It also teaches you how to breathe correctly. You would be amazed at how many of us breathe incorrectly, thus exacerbating the problem.

Anyway, we are all here to help if you need us. Just PM me if you need a greater chat !! I'm always around.

Kindest regards.

Jackie xx

If the opportunity doesn't knock .... build a door.