PDA

View Full Version : mirena coil and depression/anxiety ???

leanne1980
25-06-11, 09:11
So as ive been trawling the net for hours, ive come across 1000s of different people who say the mirena coil made them anxious or depressed, tearful, gaining weight, no sex drive ??? the list is endless, have any of the ladies here noticed anything, i must say that i had mine in 2004 and thats when my problems started, i might see the dr and see what he thinks xx
Leannex

Toffeeapple
25-06-11, 14:15
Hiya, I am really sorry to tell you this, but I had a Mirena coil fitted 3 years ago, and I didn't last 4 weeks with it. In the end I had to nearly beg the nurse to take it out.
I noticed an almost imediate change in my moods, and because it produces hormones inside you (if I remember well what the doctor said all those years ago), I'm not surprised, as your moods are largely affected by your hormones.
I am a happy go lucky kind of person usually, and I was feeling really miserable with the mirena, I had no zest for life, also my anxiety was getting much much better, and I had a relapse straight away with the mirena, including obsessive thoughts and depersonalisation.
HORRIBLE!! I'm not saying it's definately the same for you as everyone is different, but you may feel like you are your old self again if you have it taken out.
The trouble is, like I said I had to nearly beg the nurse to take it out, because apparently they cost a lot of money (£200) I was told.
I was nearly in tears so she did it in the end, and I was FREE! It all went back to normal.
When I asked the doctor about the side effects of it, she never mentioned anything like that, it seemed like she was really trying to "sell" it to me.
I also experienced the no libido thing for 4 weeks, and I mean no libido.
Not for me.

missykat
25-06-11, 15:57
i think any form of birth control that releases hormones into the body will have this effect, i was on the pill for two years and i was at the peak of it all with anxiety no sex drive etc. since coming off it now four months i feel 99% better!!! all my health fears have gone out the window somehow and im much more relaxed and dont tend to worry so much :)

Toffeeapple
25-06-11, 22:21
Yeah that's true, even the pill made me feel weird. Not myself. But nothing like the Mirena.

ElizabethJane
25-06-11, 22:33
I had good experiences on the mirena coil. It did eventually break down after four years. The problerms that I had with intense pain and bleeding were always there. I had an elective hysterectomy in 2007. It did buy me a few extra years before I had the hyst though. EJ.

leanne1980
27-06-11, 16:39
Hi Girls
i went to the dr today and my mirena is coming out on the 13th! he said its a no brainer and get it out! give my body 6 months and see if theres a change, if no then i'll have another put in, if there is then maybe my other half should get the snip!
Leannex

Toffeeapple
27-06-11, 20:49
Wow your doctor sounds fantastic!! You'll see how different you'll feel afterwards!! Good for you! :yesyes: