PDA

View Full Version : Went to NHS walk in clnic this morning.

ElizabethJane
26-06-11, 16:44
I woke up with a severe headache and feeling sick. I could not lift my head off the pillow. I was very frightened as I thought that my lithium levels had become toxic. This has never happened but this is something that I am always aware of. I did manage to eat and drink something but the headache was still there and it had started to get very warm. I have never been to an NHS walk in clinic before. I was assessed by a nurse practicioner who took my temperature which was slightly raised and blood pressure and pulse. I was still worried and she reassured me that toxicity can occur when meds are changed or upped. In my case I had had my blood test recently and had not been recalled to the GP. She said that as I had been on lithium a long time that my body had metabolised the drug well. I still don't feel very brilliant and have spent the day dozing and asleep. I think that the care that I received from the centre was very good apart from the receptionist who did not understand what my problem was. I had the 'look' which made me feel like a drug addict. The nurse practicioner was brilliant. I think that I overdid it yesterday as I had a long rehearsal (three hours) and then a concert (two hours) I'm still shaky but hopefully I'm recovering. EJ.

snowgoose
26-06-11, 18:32
HI
Hope you feel better soon .........that must have been scary for you .
Glad that you were reassured by the nurse practitioner .
It sounds as though you had a long day yesterday concentrating and out of the home ..........lovely as it is ..........it is still stress isnt it?
Rest and drink plenty ...sure you will be fine .
take care

Hazel B
26-06-11, 19:41
Hope you feel better soon. I used to have awful migraines; they were very bad headaches, feeling sick and I had flashing lights in my vision. I now drink more water and this helped a lot, I think dehydration made them worse.

Anyway, sounds like they gave you a good check over. The staff are there to help and shouldn't make you feel judged.

Take it easy and keep your fluids up.