PDA

View Full Version : Emetaphobia sufferers?

HB
03-04-04, 12:52
Hi everyone,
I juat discovered this site and have to say that it has been so helpful!
I suffer from the fear of being sick and have done for the past 15 years on and off. When it gets really bad (usually when a member of my family has been ill) i am terrible, i have panic attacks about 4 times a day... have the feeling of not being able to breathe and actually sometimes forget how to swallow when im eating which makes me choke. My phobia has led on to me being afraid of eating out. I wash my hands 7 times a day to get rid of bugs, avoid children, only eat food my mum has made, never go out to parties, wont sleep out, and the list goes on and on... i have just started CBT and was wondering if anyone else had tried it and if so, has it been of any use? im getting to the end of my tether!!!
Take care everyone xx:)

H

sarah
03-04-04, 13:25
Hiya Helen

Welcome to the site. I hope you find the info on here useful.
Have a good look around, theres loads of stuff about CBT and emetophobia..just put it into the search facility at the top of the page..and also take a look at the home page.

As for me, I had CBT for panic and agoraphobia and it worked just fine while I was doing it. As soon as I stopped, i started going downhill so the secret is to keep practicing what they teach you.

love Sarah
xx

kate
03-04-04, 13:39
Hiya HB,

Welcome to the site.

Sarah, I was the same with the CBT would come out of the session feeling really positive and then revert back to my previous thoughts!

Although they give you plenty of good information about changing your thought patterns, at the end of the day it is you yourself that has to put in the hard work by setting yourself new challenges in order to make progress.

Good Luck with the CBT, HB!

Kate x

HB
03-04-04, 14:43
Thankyou for your nice comments,
You are right though, just last thursday i had a particularly successful session of CBT, i actualy managed to watch a tape of 2 people being sick (not facking and close up!!) but, as soon as i got home i had 2 panic attacks!!!
I guess i need to just stick with it for a bit longer.
Take Care
Love Helen

H

silentcalligraph
08-04-04, 16:16
Helen
You could also try to become proactive with regards to your health. Whether it's sports or diet - just something that will send the message to your brain that you can trust your body to stay healthy (or to fend off bugs quickly) as you are taking care of it. Regular exercise can help strenghten your immune-system. Tai Chi or Qi Gong are very gentle practices and have the additional advantage of being a mind-training as well - both focus on the balance between body and mind and the environment, regular practice can help you to stay calm and to develop trust.
Lots of people can relate your symptoms - but there's hope and a way back to enjoy life. Good luck with CBT!

HB
10-04-04, 19:28
Thanks. I do actually run in the evenings and go to the gym sometimes, and you're right it does help me to fend off bugs (or at least think that i am!). My last CBT session went great, my therapist is taking me into the wards of a hospital next week to be in some kind of contact with ill people, I'm nervous but will be a massive step.
Thanks for the words of support. Take care.

H

Buby
10-04-04, 20:18
hi hb,

i suffer the same thing as u im absolutelt scared of bein sick and havin colds and stuff, so netime u need to chat cum chat to me. ive been so much betta this year, so trust me u will get better about this too.

hugs Rachel xxx

HB
10-04-04, 21:51
aww thats so nice, thankyou rachel.
I seem to be a lot better this year too, have you done any CBT or anythihng or have you got better by yourself?

H

Buby
11-04-04, 00:40
i got better by myself, but noin all my friends on here has helped me alot too, noin they r here to help me and understand wot im goin thro is a real booster. mayb theres summit bout 2004, makin our lives better for the years ahead. i have had alot of help by the school im at but it hasnt helped me really. but wen u forget bout ure worries even if u dont realise it, u r a step further than u were b4. always remember we r all here for every1.

hugs Rachel xxx

red
11-04-04, 11:44
Welcome to the site Helen! You will find loads of information and comments to help you here.

CBT has been proven to be the one of the best theapies for anxieties of any kind and recent research has been focussed on health anxiety at the moment. One of the major problems wu=ith HA is that first hurdle that people have to overcome in admitting that they have a problem with it - looks like you are well over the first hurdle - so very well done!!! Keep it going and keep on posting!

Take care

Red
x

HB
14-04-04, 17:30
got my nexr appointment tomorrow, going into the hospital wards- eeek!

H

nomorepanic
17-04-04, 18:32
HB

How did the hospital trip go?

Nicola

HB
18-04-04, 13:43
didnt make it :-( just couidnt go through with it, my therapist said it was no big deal, we will try again next thursday, fingers crossed.

Thanks for caring :-)

H

nomorepanic
18-04-04, 13:55
HB

That is ok - don't worry about it. You should go when you feel well enough to. No point stressing out over it is there?

Good luck for next time if you make it.

Nicola

HB
18-04-04, 17:26
I will make it, i have to to get over this thing. like the therapist keeps saying to me "what is the worst that could happen?" xx

H

nomorepanic
18-04-04, 17:37
Well you would be in the right place if anything did wouldn't you?

Nicola

HB
18-04-04, 17:39
definitely :-) helps that i get on with my therapist aswell (wendy). She seems to have a hard grasp on what i am going through, she is there for me to contact anytime. x

H

nomorepanic
18-04-04, 19:37
All

Try this link - http://www.emetonline.co.uk/

Nicola

HB
19-04-04, 14:16
i'll have to recommend that site too- i am also a member there too and although it does not specifically centre on panic attacks and other stuff like this site, it has some good info,
happy surfing!

H

lilac kitten
20-04-04, 13:53
HB,

I'm a bit like you, only my phobia is about being sick when I go out and being in a public place and not making it to the toilet or behind a bush, etc. And being sick in a changing room or in the car.

I'm not keen on others being sick, but I have children and can kind of cope with them. In fact a couple of weeks ago my son was really sick, he had gastric flu and a respiratory infection. As I was cleaning him up I thought I hope I don't get this. Anyway next morning I felt quite ill, but put it down to the panic attacks and doing the school run, and what happens if I'm sick when I'm out, etc. Anyway, I had to stay home from work to look after little David and sure enough by late afternoon I had it too. And you know what, although it wasn't pleasant, and went on into the early hours of Saturday morning, I survived. My elder son who is 5 was very caring and my partner understanding.

Luckily enough I was able to phone my partners mum to collect Martin from school. Lucky I did as that is when it started!!

I do keep things clean, but I'm sensible and ensure that me and the boys always wash hands after using the bathroom. And thank heaven for flushable wipes for cleaning the loo :-)

Unfortunately for me I had a condition when I was pregnant called HyperEmersis which is where you throw up all the time. Didn't stop me having another baby though and apart from one week, I was sickness and amazingly panic free.

Don't worry about failing, some people are frightened of shoes, my friends son of buttons, so we all have our fears. You will get through it, and the CBT won't work straight away, I'm 3 years into mine. But its nice to know that there are people who will even just listen to you.

I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing how you get on.

All the best,
Ruth
x

HB
20-04-04, 19:02
well thursday is my big day so i'll let you know! thanks for getting in touch :-)

H

lilac kitten
23-04-04, 12:31
HB,

Have you been yet? Was it this Thursday? if so how did you get on. I'd be interested to know. If you didn't manage it don't be ashamed its all part of the process.

Ruth
x

HB
23-04-04, 16:12
Well two weeks ago when i attempted it i didnt get through the door... this time I got in the door and stood for a good half hour at the entrance.
Although no one was sick, it was likely that it would happen. I had a string of panic attacks but made myself stay.
in two weeks, i will try sitting with a patient and talk to them (if they dont mind!)
I know it wasn't a massive step but im just taking it day by day.
Thanks for the concern!!
love H x

H

HB
23-04-04, 16:13
What stuff do you do in CBT sessions?

H

sarah
23-04-04, 16:55
Hiya Helen

try this link on the homepage

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/therapy.htm#C.B.T.

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

HB
24-04-04, 10:11
thanks so much to Sarah and everyone who is doing all they can do to help :-)
Means a lot xx

H

HB
28-04-04, 19:26
i did it!!!! I got into the ward, i watched people who were ill, no one was sick still but i was there!!!!! yay!

H

nomorepanic
28-04-04, 20:14
Well done HB - see what an achievement eh?

Good on you!

Nicola

HB
29-04-04, 10:13
thankyou!, I am going back on thursday next week to try again, this time on whats known as a "virus" ward, surely some sick will be around, worrying but im positive i can do it!!
Thanks for all your supportx

H

Caitlyn89
29-05-04, 02:01
Hi im new here i have emetophobia too!! It keeps getting worse then a little better then bad again its so annoying because i have literally NOOOO social life im afraid to go out and eat out because im afraid i will get nauseous and not be home. Im so afraid of being sick.
Caitlyn

Caitlyn89
29-05-04, 05:32
Hi everyone i am 15 and i have emetophobia. I hate feeling like this. When i get really bad and nauseated i lock myself in the bathroom with a fear of being sick. The longest i have ever been in there was bout 1-2 hours i think. I have become slightly agoraphobic from it. You guys can im me anytime.

HB
29-05-04, 13:23
hello caitlyn,

Do any of your friends know about your phobia? i know how you feel about eating out- one of the most stressful things we can do, what if the food is undercooked, what if i eat too much and get ill? these things run through your mind all the time and you end up getting so wound up about it that it makes you feel ill!!

I go to CBT which started to help but now i just am not getting anywhere with it, do you see anyone for your phobia? if not, go to your doctor, they are always there to help, nothing to be ashamed of!! :-)

Let me know how you are getting on, mail me anytime,

Love, helen xx

H