PDA

View Full Version : Wedding advice? Should we, shouldnt we?

miss_moose
27-06-11, 14:41
Me and my fiance, (Mr Moose:)) have been engaged for over 2 years now, and we havent got married as account of my agoraphobia and people phobia.
To give you an idea of how bad my people phobia is, I have panic attacks and feel terribly sick when even my closest family members visit or i visit them, and I only ever manage to spend around 10 mins with them especially at their houses, and that 10 mins is torture.

Anyway, we are both 27 and I have been agoraphobia (although i am getting better with that) for 10 wasted years, everyone i know is married now, or engaged or have children and I just feel my life has been on hold for 10 years and i'm not going to get any better.

Mr Moose wants a wedding with atleast his parents there and a party after, i would havppily get married at home (This is not an option as we dont live in a particually nice flat and Mr Moose won't go for it.)

SO we've found a compromise, Gretna Green, in a penthouse apartment where you are limited to only inviting 6 guests. He gets his parents and a luxuarious place, and I get my "hardly any guests" and my "outdoorsy" wedding as you get married on the balcony, or option 2 if weather is bad, an comfortable lounge room wedding in front of a fire.
I say comfortable,the thought of it at the moment just makes me tremble with fear.

My mum has told me to just get a date, book it and just go for it because life is so short and precious, and if i keep holding off it may never happen.

I'm thinking next year, possibly March for my birthday or May/June time.

I'll have to have alot of uncomfortable exposure "therapy" (i'm too frightend to have an actual thereapist) so Mr Moose takes me out in the car and takes me to families houses and invites them here.

What do you guys think? I really value your opinions. I just so want to be Mrs Moose but I know how sik i get when a family member comes to visit me at home.

Thank you, Miss Moose xx

LucyR
27-06-11, 15:08
Hi, Well, if you can put up with having the name Mrs Moose forever, Id say you could go through anything!!:yahoo:

Lynnann
27-06-11, 16:39
It sounds like Mr Moose is very supportive of you and you are lucky to have found each other. You know what you have to do to manage this, i.e your exposure therapy which you have already started. This can be the goal that you work towards and could ultimitely assist you in your recovery from agorophobia. I wish you both future happiness and a long and happy marriage.:)

Lynnann:flowers:

macc noodle
27-06-11, 16:51
What a fabulous goal to work towards! Go for it!

Why not try and get a therapist on board and together you can work out a schedule to ensure that you have a fabulous day :)
xx

Tyke
28-06-11, 00:00
Hi Miss Moose

As everyone else says - GO FOR IT. It will be a fantastic achievement and you'll be so proud you've done it afterwards. I dreaded my wedding day and the guest list was kept very short. Reception was back at home for the few who managed to get an invite! On the way to the honeymoon afterwards I couldn't believe I'd actually done it! Looking back now, I worried far more beforehand, when it actually came to doing it I was just on automatic and surprisingly calm! :D

Tyke

blueangel
28-06-11, 09:23
Honestly, life is too short. Think of how much you'll regret it if you don't do it.

ames
28-06-11, 09:41
Hi
I am getting married this year, we are having a big do and I'm terrified!! But I know I will do it, it's my day so if I need to run off or take a break I can!! Just go for it, you will be fine!! It will be worth it.
I'm also worried about going on honeymoon, we are going to Portugal and I'm scared to be that far from home. But I'm hoping once the wedding is over, I will be so relieved (sounds awful but I'm sure you all know what I mean) that I will be excited about the honeymoon.
Keep me posted on how you are doing, and I'll let you know how it goes for me!!
Take care. Xx

miss_moose
28-06-11, 14:38
Thank you al so much for your advice, encouragment and kind words:) COngratulations on your upcoming marriage Ames:D
We've decided to have 3 months intense "Moosey training" ie exposure, going to Travel Lodge and inviting his parents to see us in the room, (They live an hour away and because i cant just go to their house we stop in hotels to make it easier). inviting my brother and grandma over for tea, and getting as much people eposure as possible.
Then we'll review my progress in September and hopefuly book Gretna Green for March, and have our honeymoon in cornwall (Daniels found a luxuary treehouse he wants to book).

I'm ever so anxious though and having panic attacks even now because i'm thinking about it, i have chest and arm weird sentations and pain, ive worried about my heart because i panic all the time and i'm really over weight, im so scared i'll have a heart attack over with all the extra panic.

Gale2509
28-06-11, 18:07
I was absolutely petrified of my wedding day, literally I was sick for 18 months in the run up, yet by the last 5 mins of the ceremony I was panic, nausea, stomach pain free and remained like that for the next 6 hrs? Figure that? I have and continue to struggle daily for 20 years. I only wish I could get married everyday :D