PDA

View Full Version : Help with insomnia

geejaybee
27-06-11, 15:25
Hi,

I have been making some progress with my anxiety but the chronic insomnia which has accompanied it still happening. As I have cut down on my medication (Trimipramine) with a view to dicontinuing it, the sleeplessness gets worse.
I do all tghe proper "sleep hygene" stuff but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone have any tip or supplements as I am moving from a situation of constant anxiety to one of constant fatigue and sleep deprivation.

Thanks,

Spy
27-06-11, 16:11
Hi Gee

Tryptophan is meant to help but you will need to check with your doctor that its ok to take with meds, naturally you can get it in banana's, turkey, warm milk with horlicks etc. Aparently melatonin is also another supplement which is meant to help.

Personally the only way I can get to sleep at the moment is to put on my relaxation CD, it doesnt work straight away but will help calm the speeding thoughts and eventually you will find yourself dropping off as soon as you put it on.

Other things that you are proabably doing already, no TV/computer for an hour before bed, a bath or shower before you sleep and curtains that block out the light :)

Hope some of that is useful

x

mantra
27-06-11, 19:48
Hi Geejaybee
A glass of hot milk/soy milk/almond milk is very comforting. I tend to not sleep so well on a totally empty stomach, so this really works for me.
Sleeping with an amethyst under the pillow.
Exercising (resistance/cardio/or a combination) at least 5 hours before bed time. If I do it too close to sleeping, I notice I feel more energy. After about 5 hours is when I start to feel tired.