PDA

View Full Version : sunburn cancer risk and moles.

worried91
27-06-11, 23:52
I'm being an idiot again, I know I am, but I'm still anxious...

Went out for the day on Saturday and left while it was quite cloudy and misty outside. By 10 o'clock the sun had come out and I didn't have any sun cream (didn't think I'd need it) and was stuck in the middle of nowhere at a fete at a cricket club with no access to a shop.

Anyway, I got mild sunburn, general redness on forearms and face, and slight blistering on the nose. Nothing to worry about you would think...

Like an idiot I began googling about sunburn. While I knew frequent sunburn can increase risk of skin cancer I wasn't too concerned as I've only been sunburnt once before Saturday when I was 12, although it was severe I figure once can't make much difference. What I was and am concerned about is a statistic that says people with many moles are more at risk for melanoma. I have moles all over, especially my upper back and while none of those have any dangerous characteristics I am worried about what the future holds :(

I also have a mole on my upper arm that is quite large and while there is nothing else suspicious about it (it even has reasonably long hairs which all but rules out melanoma apparently as it kills hair follicles) I am constantly checking it in the mirror.

I'm wondering if I should pop into the doctor's tomorrow and get reassurance. I don't want to have to but I also want to nip the anxiety about this symptom in the bud. I'll also be sure to mention this to my therapist at my next appointment on Friday.

I'm just pissed off so much that a year ago I'd have looked at it once, realised I was fine and stopped worrying and I just can't do that anymore :( All my friends got sunburnt to some extent too, one of them much worse than me in fact, and he isn't worrying at all.

sigh...

somethingwitty
28-06-11, 01:25
If you can hold out till Friday to speak to your therapist, I'd say try and do that. I know it'll be tough, but it could be for the best. If they're good at what they do , hopefully they'll put your mind at ease a bit and negate having to go to the doctors for reassurance.

Have you ever had your moles properly checked out by a GP\Dermatologist? I'm not a particularly moley person, but a few friends of mine who have a fair number tend to pop in every now and again just to get their moles checked over. They're never anything serious, and usually the only thing that happens is the doc will make a note of any which look like they've grown\could grow, but it helps keep their mind at rest. Could help you in the long run?

Getting sunburned on Saturday won't have caused you any immediate danger, and it is really unfortunate that the mole you're focussing on is in such clear view as it makes obsessing over it so much easier (I know I obsess over symptoms when they're easy to see!). Just remind yourself that you don't spend two days a week on a sunbed in a tanning saloon, are generally careful in the sun and your moles haven't changed. Although this is much, MUCH easier said than done, focus on and celebrate the fact that you don't have it rather than worry about risk factors.

worried91
28-06-11, 07:36
Thanks for your post.

I've calmed down a bit since last night, despite a terrible night's sleep although I think the poor sleep was due to the humid weather and not the anxiety which is good. I'll make sure mention it to my therapist and try and keep the mirror gazing to a minimum until I feel better.

I'll see my GP about my moles soon.