PDA

View Full Version : Worried about getting old...

Rhys1879SAFC
28-06-11, 12:21
Okay, I've heard of people having a mid-life crisis at 40 but what about a quarter-life crisis? haha.

I'm 19 years of age and the thought of getting old depresses me, even though its a long way off I'm scared of the inevitable... constantly worrying about dying young and stuff, its wearing me down.

Rain
28-06-11, 12:44
Hi Rhys,

I think every one of us here has at some time worried about aging. Nobody likes the idea. But I can tell you this. One of the lovely things about getting older is that you get wiser. This doesn’t just mean you grow more intelligent and can complete the Times crossword faster. It means you learn to appreciate life more. You become more empathetic, more thoughtful; more able to see the real beauty of life.

Growing older is all relative of course. You feel old at 19 and to someone of 16 you are. I am 48 and while in some ways I would love to be 35 again, I have definitely matured mentally and emotionally in a way I never expected since then. I enjoy the special things in life more richly than I did then. I think I can say that life gets sweeter as you get older.

You are less than a quarter of the way through your life. You have lots of lovely spiritual growth ahead of you and loads of things to learn and appreciate. There are so many adventures in front of you. So many exciting things to experience. You are very lucky. Enjoy every minute.

Rhys1879SAFC
28-06-11, 12:56
Thanks very much. :)

I know I'm still young but it seems to be going by so quickly... its over three years since I left school but it certainly doesn't seem it, then when one of my grand parents tell me "it doesn't seem five minutes since I was your age" it starts to worry me that life really is too fleeting.

I know I have alot of things still to experience, such as "hopefully" having kids someday, getting married, buying my first house... that sort of thing. But on the other hand I could be out tomorrow and get hit by a car in a freak accident... the fragility of life is something that scares me.

Rain
28-06-11, 13:18
In some ways life can seem fragile. I think it seems that way to us when someone dies. But the human body is terribly resilient. The vast majority of people make it to a ripe old age. The average life expectancy in the UK is 78 for a man and 82 for a woman. The average person WILL reach that age and lots will exceed it. There are lots of less pleasant things in life that we just have to accept, like going to the dentist, getting the flu now and again or being broke sometimes. And on a bigger scale we have to live with the fact that life can be risky. Every one of us on this planet faces dangers in life (though of course in some places much more than others). But to focus on that is to only look at one side of the coin. Millions do make it though all the hazards. Try to focus on that. If you wring every bit of joy out of every day you will have lived your life well and have got the most out of it. Seeing the stars instead of the black night is the secret of enjoying this rollercoaster we call Life.

looking4answers
28-06-11, 21:38
Geez .... Im 56 and I thought I wa doing something wrong by thinking I was old....but at 19. ???????You have such a long time to worry,about another 50 or 60 years ... sad ...at least I didnt start worrying about it until I turned 52 lol...

Rhys1879SAFC
28-06-11, 22:40
Thanks for the reassurance guys!

I think my fear has gotten a little worse recently because I have now left college and I'm only six months away from not being a teenager anymore, which is quite a milestone I suppose, society will look at me as a man very soon.

I think the fact that I have left College and now face the big wide world alone has scared me a little bit, I have to find a job and a new home soon... there's abit of pressure on me which I guess I'm not handling well, but thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

haynsey
28-06-11, 23:42
Well i am 38, and i had the same fear as you when i was 17years. Sometimes i still dread being old i worry about dying too...but the best thing to do is live life to the max and get yourself a good career to be proud of...and do not have a life of regrets!!

looking4answers
29-06-11, 00:35
Amen!!!!!

DontPanicMrMannering
29-06-11, 00:46
Okay, I've heard of people having a mid-life crisis at 40 but what about a quarter-life crisis? haha.

I'm 19 years of age and the thought of getting old depresses me, even though its a long way off I'm scared of the inevitable... constantly worrying about dying young and stuff, its wearing me down.

Forget about it, in 20 years time they might have a pill you can take to make you 20 again? you just never know lol

phil06
29-06-11, 02:06
The post may help you I posted it at 20:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38462

I'm now 22.

kibbutz83
29-06-11, 09:21
Burt Reynolds needs therapy!