PDA

View Full Version : Getting On with it

W.I.F.T.S.
26-04-06, 12:22
There are many, many things that make me anxious. I've put off having a blood test for months because I don't like needles, don't like the sight of blood, don't like doctor's surgeries, don't want to hear that something is wrong with me.

I haven't seen friends down south for years because I'm afraid to go.

I'm still living at home with my family because I'm afraid to branch out on my own.

I know you often get people saying "get on with it. stop being such a wimp" and it isn't helpful, because you don't feel like they really care about you, that they understand you or that they see your illness as serious.

But, in many ways it is the best advice. I'm coming round to thinking that I don't want to avoid things that scare me. The first time I had a blood test I saw the blood and the room started spinning and I felt like i was going to throw up. They had to put me in a stretcher! After that I put it off for months, even though I needed regular check ups because my cholesterol had been very high. I've been a few times now and I'm pretty much fine with it as long as I look up at the ceiling and don't look down again until it's all done.

I've been for some really intense job interviews lately too. One of them was 4 hours long! Before I went in I thought about turning round and going home because I was nervous. Infact a girl that they were meant to be interviewing alongside me didn't turn up at all. I did it and I felt really great afterwards.

I've got to say that the best feeling is the relief, relaxation, adrenaline, confidence mixture that you get after doing something that you fear. I drove home from one interview absolutley beaming and driving over bridges and climbing large hills has taken a huge weight off my shoulders. When I was on top of the great orme in Llandudno I felt more real than i have done for years and I had expected to have an urge to throw myself down the hill or to have a panic attack brought on by seeing the sea.

I've just had a letter through saying that I've got to go for a treadmill test on my heart next week. my immediate reaction is to not want to go because it will make me anxious and i'll worry that they'll find something wrong with me. To counter that I'm trying to visualise myself doing it calmly and not having any problems and then coming home and forgetting about it.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

jackie
26-04-06, 13:53
i know what its like to live with this fear. if there is anything we can do to make this better for you just let us know

jackie

Southern_Belle
27-04-06, 03:22
It sounds to me like you are trying to venture out like your signature... ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for. I think you don't want to be "safe" anymore. You want to get out and feel again even if it's not all good. Just overcoming our fears is a great thing. I remember driving over a bridge that had terrified me for years. I would drive 10 miles out of my way to avoid it. The thrill when I was over it was immense. I was just silly proud of myself. In a way, having this anxiety when we do accomplish these little tasks, does make us realize how amazing just the little things can be that people without those anxieties take for granted.

Bel

weepinky
27-04-06, 09:39
Your story is so much like mine, there are many things I don't do 'just in case' I panic, I know this is not good and I should just go and do them - If I panic 'SO WHAT'!!!!!

I think this will be my new attitude from now on!!! You have made me realise that we CAN go and do these things - we have much to gain and very little to lose!

Love Pinky

Jason37
28-04-06, 10:58
I think you have hit on one of the key routes to getting better, in any situation. Do one little thing at a time. Little steps always get you there in the end! You should be very pleased with and proud of your approach and the results it's already yielding for you. Soon you will realise the truth: that you can do ANYTHING! And what a day that will be.
Don't look back. The harbour was never that interesting anyway!
Big smiles and hugs,
Jason

nell1965
28-04-06, 11:13
Hi
Even although i dont have generalised anxiety i still understand how you feel and i think that it is well done that you are thinking this way and facing your fears,the good thing is that you mentioned the adrenaline high after you had done it (i guess thats how the adrenaline addicts in extreme sports feel) this feeling might encourage you to go out and do some more of the things that seem like normal every day tasks to other people, keep it up, you can and you will beat it.

I just want my life back
nell
x