PDA

View Full Version : anxious when hungry

lizmarshall
26-04-06, 14:47
Does anyone else get anxious when hungry.

I felt sick as i have been smoking fags and drinking tea all day but hungry as well then i started to feel quite anxious.

I have just had something to eat and dont feel too bad now.

Liz

vernon
26-04-06, 15:33
Hi Liz, I to drink loads of tea and coffee, I did cut out caffine for a long time becouse its supposed to be bad for anxiety but it didnt work. I dont usualy eat any breakfast and have been used to having dinner around 4 ish, as thats when kids used to come in from school, and I do notice around 3 I get realy nervous and anxious, then shortly after I have eaten feel tired but much better. So thats with me too get pretty bad when hungry. take care. Vernon

ashley
26-04-06, 15:49
HI ya liz :D
You can get more anxious when you havt eaten.. i have to eat even if i dont feel like it, otherwise i start geting shaky and panicky... so you are right to eat darlin ..especially when you are anxious inclinde.. all make sure that in that food its full of fruit and vegtables.

Hope you find you way out of this liz. i know what its like to feel so awful with anxiety.

love ashley

jackie
26-04-06, 15:53
this is a definite for me and my anxiety gets worse even days after ive not eaten well. i think diet has a huge impact on anxiety and when i eat well and alot, i feel stronger, perhaps not at the time but a couple of days later

jackie

Two heads
26-04-06, 16:36
Hi liz!Yes what i eat def makes a differents to me.I find at the end of the day befor i have my dinner around seven thats when i get worse.And if i eat stuff with to much sugar in,also if my blood sugar levels drops i get worse!So i have to be careful these days.I guess its just our bodys way of telling us what we need and what we dont maybe.xxx

katyfitz
26-04-06, 17:17
hiya, if i get that hungry feeling i start to panic like i feel faint cause of not eaten this can happen a few hours after eating but i put it down to the anxiety x

darkangel
26-04-06, 18:13
major issue for me as well - I always try and make sure I eat regulary or i get lightheaded

........life is for living not just for surviving

jos
26-04-06, 18:49
hunger or low blood sugar sends out adrenalin signals to go find food - this then kicks in with anxiety if you are so inclined.

snack on protein - nuts or seeds - rather than sugary snacks including fruit - according to my nutritionist

we were hunter gatherers who gathered food and snacked as well as having big meals with the big catch - nutritionally we haven't really evolved much since those times

you will feel extra tired after food as a come down from the anxiety

jos

giddy
26-04-06, 18:57
I always get an anxious feeling when I'm hungry - like everyone else said, try and eat little and often and keep snacks handy.
Love Helen

Dave
27-04-06, 00:21
Yeah, eating little but often is the key which I'm not good at doing, expecially at work.

I also find I get shaky and sometimes dizzy if I haven't eaten for several hours. After I eat my heart rate always seems to increase but it does make me feel better in myself. I've had to cut down on caffeine and sugar as they both contribute to my anxiety. Even half a cup of tea has an effect on me.

W.I.F.T.S.
27-04-06, 09:42
Yeah, I get this too. I think basically, because we are so sensitive, the slightest thing can set us off feeling anxious. With being hungry it might be low blood sugar, which might make us feel a little light-headed or shaky- which is a symptom of feeling anxious- which causes us to associate those feelings with anxiety and push the panic button.

I also get it when I'm tired too. When I used to smoke I would feel panicky if I smoked because the nicotine stimulates the production of adrenaline and sets our alarm system off, and I would feel panicky if I didn't smoke because of the shakiness of having withdrawal sypmtoms.

One thing that I learned recently is that just two cups of coffee (tea also contains caffeine, as does coca cola) is enough to double the amount of adrenaline in your blood stream!! I also read that caffeine is a depressant. basically, I guess, any stimulants are going to cause a rush of adrenaline, which will make you feel panicky. Once the adrenaline rush is over you are going to feel wiped out and low= depressed.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Dave
27-04-06, 10:39
Caffeine is a stimulant, alcohol is a depressant. Both can cause anxiety feelings but more so with a stimulant.

Two heads
27-04-06, 14:02
I have moved on to decaf tea and im fine with that!I caut tell the differents now.xx

nomorepanic
27-04-06, 16:13
You need to be eating regularly to maintain blood sugar levels ...

Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)
Gi Diet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3179)
sugar addiction and our moods. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6908)
Low GI foods and furit juice! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7553)

Nicola

giddy
27-04-06, 16:21
Hi - Dave, its interesting what you said about eating incresing your heart rate, when I was very bad a few months ago I would have a PA everytime I ate my evening meal!!
Love Helen

panicdiva
27-04-06, 22:48
Liz,
I'm glad you brought this up because for a long time now I have suspected that lack of food might be contributing to my anxiety. I have noticed that sometimes I feel really worried - & I start thinking worrying thoughts - then after I eat I feel alot better & I feel more positive again. I have often wondered if I was just imagining this.....but now that you have said you feel the same, as do others, I know there must be some truth in this.

mirry
28-04-06, 07:52
Dave and Giddy,

You say you get a fast heart beat after eating your evening meals,
I think i know why this might be ,

If you eat a meal with carbohydrates and protiens on the plate,
carbohydrates break down easily in the gut, they take about 1 hour to empty from the stomach.
However protien takes 3 hours to empty from the stomach.
So what happens is this,
The protien slows down and stops the carbohydrate from leaving the stomach - so therefore your body has to work alot harder to speed up the digestive enzymes to break down that meal.
This causes a faster heartbeat.

I read this somewhere , I think it was in a book called eat right for your blood type. I am blood type o which means im the original hunter gatherer, meat eater. Carbs are supposed to slow me down which is so true.

mirryx

Phill2
05-05-06, 05:34
its cause by low blood sugar Try snacking between meals
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.