PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys, this electric shock has gotten me worried about my heart

CorneliusRuperTravis
28-06-11, 22:02
Hey guys, sorry for posting another thread on this but it's been bugging me a lot and I want another opinion to see whether I'm being rational or not.

If you've read my other thread, a couple of days ago I accidentally got an electric shock off of an old phone-charger lead that I had brushed my arm up against, and somehow it had discharged off of me.

I instantly felt the pain in my wrist, along with a feeling of fainting, nausea and "tunnel vision", not to mention my heart jumped up to like a thousand beats per minute (I know that's exaggerated, but it felt like it). Understandably it startled me and I had a panic attack peak within the hour.

Now however, I've been having this nagging feel that the shock somehow DAMAGED my heart permanently and that I know have a "weakness" or something wrong with my heart which is one day going to kill me.

Is such a thing possible? From what I've been told, it wasn't a serious shock. It left me with no burns or visible scars, my arm feels perfectly normal now. BUT, I'm worrying, and my heart is one of the center's of my health anxiety.

Does anybody know anything about electric shocks and what damage they can cause to the body? I guess I should a doctor on this one, but you guys are all I have at the moment... =/

scaredstiff695
28-06-11, 22:27
Hi
I got a electric shock off Christmas lights at Christmas I was shook up like you and it marked ny skin. However I think you got a shock but if you didn't need ambulance ir anything I would say u should be ok. For reassurance visit go but I'm pretty sure that phone chargers don't have enough voltage in them to do any harm xxx

looking4answers
28-06-11, 22:44
I have been shocked more times than I can count .At least four times I have been shocked by picking up a ungrounded transformer 15000 volts. Also accidently caught a wire on my back just about where my her it with 6000 volts. I have been shocked by 220 and 110 mulitble times. I would say unless you couldnt get up or move or breath you might have a problem. As far as your heart having issues .if you are concerned see your doctor but as far as Im thinkjng and im not a dr,,,,you are fine. The symptoms you had are severe anxiety fromthe shock. It just scared you.Thats all,nothing more nothing less,but if you are really worried see a doctor but im sure if ou forget about it you will be fine:)

CorneliusRuperTravis
28-06-11, 22:54
Thanks for your replies, guys :)

Phew. It really looks like I have nothing to worry about then. If you managed to survive a 15000 volt from a transformer (I can't even imagine how that would feel, poor guy!), then even I can safely doubt that a measly little phone charger is going to destroy my heart XD

I feel pretty silly at myself for worrying about this sort of stuff. Kinda makes me feel like a whiner reading my posts back. However I've made myself a promise that I'm going to make the effort to stop dwelling on anxious thoughts and letting my worries get out of proportion, because I can see that they get me absolutely nowhere at best, and anxious and scared at worst.

scaredstiff695
28-06-11, 23:10
Oo I no what you mean. When logic snd your rational mind kicks in you think SERIOUSlY was that me lol then I get annoyed with myself lol xxx
Don't look bad look good snd say you managed all that with no ambulances or doctors be proud xx

looking4answers
28-06-11, 23:47
The 15000 volt threw me across the yard, the 6000 volt hurt my back and arms and the 110 and 220 hurt to....You think I would learn once with the 15000 volt but idiot me nope...took two more times...lol