PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosed as GAD

katykaty
29-06-11, 07:01
Well after 6 months of panic attacks with increasing frequency and intensity, and anxious feelings moving from every now and then to every day I finally went to the doctors yesterday. He diagnosed me with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and prescribed me with Citalopram and propranolol. Somehow giving me medication (especially anti depressants) has scared me and made it all real!! However having the propranolol to take at high points of anxiety has calmed me a little.

I emailed a colleague to explain every thing last night and she was really understanding. I've ggot to tell my head teacher (I'm a primary school teacher) tomorrow and I'm terrified. My colleague has agreed to come with me when I tell her, so at least I know I have some moral support. However I'm terrified of the repercussions - I've only been in my job 2 months and I'm only contracted till Christmas (was hoping to be kept on afterwards). I think it's the whole stigma of mental issues, like I'd have no problems going to tell her about my IBS but this is a whole different ball game.

I'm finding myself terrified walking into my classroom every morning, even before the kids come in and I'm starting to feel more and more anxious at the thought of panicking in front of a class of 30 nine year olds.

Are there any other teachers here on NMP?

Thanks for any replies!

K xx