PDA

View Full Version : a strange one...

anxietyoverload
29-06-11, 19:36
hi guys

me and my boyfriend are renovating our house at the min, i went up there on sunday jsut for a bit, it is really dusty as we have knocked down walls and things. but all the dust was settled on sunday, but now when i blow my nose loads of dirts coming out!
how is it possible, its wednesday today and that was on sunday!!
anyone?? x

looking4answers
29-06-11, 20:05
If you are young you will be fine. Thats what your nasal passages are for and your lungs.They filter the air and make it clean to breathe,thats why you are still blowing it out,its been filtered and is waiting to be expelled.I wouldnt recommend doing that unprotected without mask all the time but once isnt going to hurt you. Many years ago I was doing renovation work in a house that had no fresh air supply. The floors were rotten and you could see the dust so thick while we were working and it was in the heat of summer. Everyday I would come home with what you described. That was when I was about 25 im 56 now,so I think you are pretty safe.As I said dont make a habit out of it but you will be ok.

brambles
29-06-11, 21:35
Hi

How are you finding the renovation? I recently renovated our house with my parents and it's for sale now then on to the next! I really enjoy doing it.

The dust is lovely isn't it? Don't worry it's not really dangerous - after 25 years of breathing it in then it might be an issue. A dust mask does block some of it but it still finds a way through!

I took down all of the lath-and-plaster ceilings in the house. Not fun I don't recommend it! Or using a floor sander to clean up a load of floor boards - I was shaking out dust from my ears for weeks afterwards. A bit like white pepper…

Jeff

anxietyoverload
30-06-11, 07:41
Thanks Guys!

Im getting a little bit stressed doing the house up now, it looks more like a building site at the minute and its costing so much money! but hopefully it will be all worth it!!
Its covered in black dust!!
i only went down there on sunday to look at where they are putting the new corridoor and stairs in, and i ended up getting a rusty old nail right through my foot. ouch!!!!

brambles
30-06-11, 10:50
Our house was 4 stone walls, a slate roof and an earth floor at one point. Unfortunately we had to pay for certain jobs which we could have done ourselves but circumstances meant that we couldn't. Ultimately those jobs were done very badly (guttering which collects water, stud wall not plumb etc etc etc) What makes it worse is that I am a little bit obsessive about precision so I hate looking at these things - they actually make me feel a bit fed up just thinking about it!

The dust is nice isn't it! We hired an industrial vacuum to clean everything after sanding the floorboards but it still took buckets of soapy water.

Money is another issue entirely! The more you do yourselves the less you have to pay, even if you have to buy all the tools it'll still be cheaper than paying for tradesmen (that's what I did). You will probably do a better job than most as well unless you can find honest reliable people. Unfortunately I think they're a rare species now. The only one we found who had a good attitude and did a good job was the joiner who was retired so did things the proper way he was taught years ago. The others had a F- you attitude. Oh well, you make mistakes and you learn from them...

Jeff

anxietyoverload
30-06-11, 11:41
Fortunatly my boyfriend is a self employed tiler, and quite a handy man, so he knows lots of people in the trade. its just the materials, but it all adds up!! im sooo tired of waiting now haha and i just want to be in my home :) x