PDA

View Full Version : Is this anxiety?

YoshikiUK
29-06-11, 19:45
Hi guys, my first post here :). I'm a 'normal' 22 year old guy, still living at home, working with the aim to save up and go travelling. I seem to be suffering from anxiety and really just want to post here to get some opinions and to just give my thoughts to people who know where i'm coming from.

The first time I can remember having anxiety symptoms was about April/May last year when I was doing my dissertation at uni. I was under a lot of stress and I was very busy in the day and therefore didn't have any symptoms, but at night in bed it would feel that my heart was racing and palpitating. I didn't put 2 and 2 together, and when I finished uni the feeling went away.

Fast forward to about April this year, and i'm in the car with my dad feeling fine on the way back from work when he stops for 5-10 mins in a garage to fill the car up. I'm in the car, it was a hot day, and I had too many layers on. Driving down the road (i'm not driving, my dad is :scared15:) i hear this thing on the radio about male breast cancer (this is where another trait comes up; mild hypochondria). I have had this bump above my breast for a while now, had it checked out at the doc's and it's cartilage. The thought just popped into my head, and I see how silly it is now, and to be honest I never really thought it could be that, it just seems that letting myself think of the possibility for a few seconds finished me off. Next thing I know, i'm coming round from a proper, honest to god faint.

I was sweating like crazy, feeling sick, arms had pins and needles in them, and so an ambulance was called and i'm taken to A&E, by this time, completely lucid and awake. ECG was fine, blood tests fine. Conclusion; heat+male breast cancer thoughts=faint.

Ever since then, for the last few months though, i have been extremely sensitive about hot situations. If i'm in the car and it gets hot, I start to think of that day and start to worry that it is going to happen again. So what happens then? Clammy hands, shortness of breath, woozy feeling. Luckily so far I have been able to control it and haven't fainted again.

As well as the 'car episode', about 7 weeks ago there were some problems at home. Basically, money is tight for my parents. I had been having, up until a few weeks ago, general anxiety over this situation. It is hard to explain to the layperson, but I haven't been worrying sick about these issues. I haven't been freaking out or anything. I'm a relatively grounded guy. But for some reason, these problems have made me feel pretty bad. In the day; heart fluttering feeling, tight chest, shortness of breath. At night; I have woken up twice, both times (although this might be coincidence) exactly 1 hour after falling asleep with a strange taste in my mouth, a horrible shortness of breath, and shivering. The feeling pass within an hour and I am alright in the morning.

To add to all of this, I seem to have become a hypochondriac about my family's health. I have health anxiety for other people. My mum had an indigestion pain in her side shooting up her back and I looked on the internet (oh internet, I hate your diagnostic abilities) and diagnosed that these feelings, as well as her insomnia and general tiredness (more of that in a minute) were the early warning signs of a heart attack. This got me very worked up, so much so that the next 3-4 days were spent worrying about her. Then my sister had headaches (she suffers from migraines). Well, what if there is something wrong with her brain? A brain tumour? My nan comes round for dinner (in the midst of when I was at my worst anxiety wise). She passes out at the dinner table for no reason (later found to be stress related as well as from heat). As you could imagine I was almost a gibbering wreck.

As for my mum, my anxiety towards her stems from her having had non-hodgkin's lymphoma several years ago. She herself suffers from anxiety (which causes her to be tired etc), and all the stress due to money has made her anxiety pretty terrible recently. Doesn't help that she doesn't sleep well. The thing is, stress is thought to be a cause of NHL, and i'm afraid it will spark up again (this is always, of course, at the back of my mind, but due to recent events it has come to the forefront). She just had her yearly scan, and I am scared stiff that the news won't be good. I know there is no real reason why it won't be, i'm just deathly afraid of anything happening to her, or anyone else in my family. I often have thoughts of dread concerning the health of my family, and just get so afraid that someone will get ill or die. Now i'm not a psychiatrist, but I can work out that this comes from having to deal with my mum's cancer when I was 14 and again when I was 17. Throughout those times I was nothing but positive and convinced that she would be OK, which she was and is. But lately i feel almost swamped by thoughts regarding things happening to my family.

Sorry for the essay, I just needed to get these things off my chest. I end up feeling almost stupid, although I know I shouldn't because anxiety is nothing to be ashamed about. I just feel annoyed at my mind and body's inability to deal with stuff. When people ask me what I am worrying about I can't really answer as although I just listed my main issues above, these are not 100% active thoughts running through my mind that bring on anxiety. They are in the background, behind the veil, but they seem to be causing problems. By the way, this post was brought on by me leaving work with my dad feeling 100% fine, and then a tiny little thing regarding something very small (me getting paid by my boss a little less than agreed and my dad saying he was going to sort it out) set me off feeling light headed and clammy. Again, hard to explain, as it seems ridiculous to me to get worked up over that, and I honestly wasn't consciously worked up over it, it just seems my mind can't cope and starts freaking out.

Again, thanks for reading if you made it this far, i suppose I just want someone to confirm/deny that this is what anxiety is like.

looking4answers
29-06-11, 20:10
The fact that you wrote this would be a confirmation of anxiety but you have a handle on whats going on so you have a chance to nip it in the bud. You know whay your dealing with so refocus your life on your hopes and dreams and try not to worry. In the meantime we ayre all here to help anyway we can.Take care

sarahjb
29-06-11, 21:33
Hi
I admire your courage in posting here for the first time. Its your first step to recognising there is an issue. i agree with the previous post you are in a good position to deal with your anxiety before it takes hold. See your GP do relaxation & maybe get some counselling. Im 37 and my anxiety started when I was 17 and at college. unfortunately it is out if control at the moment and I guess thats why im posting - find ways to deal with stress talk to people you trust before it becomes to difficult. hope this helps ! take care
Sarah:)

paulhem
30-06-11, 11:51
search breathing exercises for anxiety attacks and try them out - they really help a lot.

the light headedness and "feinting" is caused by hyperventilation - too much oxygen intake.

You can easily control this with practice.

CrazyC
30-06-11, 16:42
Go and see your GP! Honestly i know alot of people will say this and you may shrug it off thinking YOU WILL COPE and its YOUR PROBLEM so dont want to go bother someone..but a GP will give you advice then may refer you to someone else (a Councillor) who will help you UNDERSTAND! My biggest problem was i had to understand and from reading your post im kind of sensing you need some understanding aswell. Anxiety is a vicious circle, you will worry about something then you will worry about worrying about it..and so on.

I have had anxiety since i was 19 i am now 25 and only started to get help in January and already im feeling a big difference just from having the understanding and no longer feeling like an outcast that cant cope. (relaxtion is something everyone will mention..i have been on courses, GP and Councillor have all mentioned it) - random fact that helps me - REMEMBER when you feel faint.. breath!..but you must always do longer breaths OUT you have to empty your lungs of air, people often say TAKE DEEP BREATHS..and fast but dont..you take in to much oxygen which makes you feel worse. (one of the reasons smokers feel calmer after a smoking is because of the breathing technique the short breaths in longer breaths out) dont be ashamed to ever get help and its a good sign that you registered and posted on here.

YoshikiUK
01-07-11, 15:07
Thanks for the replies guys! I am starting the day with a positive mental attitude and saying to myself that everything is and will be fine, rather than worrying if I am going to feel anxious. I'm sure I can put the boot on it before it goes out of control. Thanks.

cwoz82
05-07-11, 13:47
I understood and empathised with every part of your post and thought you should know you're well ahead of the game so far already as controlling your feelings simply because you understand them, I presume your understranding comes from your Mum's having suffered with the condition too.
You will find in researching that difference between panic attack and panic disorder or anxiety attack and anxiety disorder in definition is actually that the attack is the individual instance - the disorder however is the fear of the attack returning and subsequent recurrent attacks. As previously stated somewher, you should research anxiety disorder and its symptoms as the greatest victory one can make over this condition is learning and accepting the symptoms -and it's amazing how vast the symptoms are. Once you accept the anxiety symptoms are merely that and not an indication you are imminently to depart this world you will find attacks will become fewer and less severe. My only problem now is that like you I wake (not every night but probably a few times a month) not long after going to sleep, it's like i've woken with a start and i don't know if i've had an attack in my sleep or if the suddenness of my waking sends me into instantaneous attack but everything else i've learned to cope with to the point that these "sleep attacks" are the only sort of attack i seem to suffer these days (fingers crossed / tap wood and all that). I've suffered anxiety on and off for about 10 years now but it's been a constant feature for the past 3 years and i've just now gotten what i consider to be a handle on it having stopped taking medication 9 months ago i've never felt better (in the last 10 years) than i do now. I'm not saying it's being off medication, i think the medication gave me the bunk up i needed to get my head straight.

My favourite quote to relay to myself is "take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves". I take that as, on a day to day basis look after yourself, relax, eat, drink do what you need to do to survive the day and those problems like clouds hanging over will eventually take care of themselves.

Family wise. All I can advise is stop googling things. It's the worst possible habit you can get into and clearly you know that already. I empathise with that too though, I used to be terrified of flying (I used to fly all the time and then had a panic attack on a plane and that was that done for!), it's to the point that if family were going away i didin't want to know when and just asked them to text when they arrived as i'd check the departures and arrivals boards online if i knew they were going away. You're doing the same with your family's health.

I wish you the best in your recovery / coping mechanisms.

Big hugs :hugs: and i hope you feel much better soon.

LucyLiz
05-07-11, 15:52
Yoshi I can so relate to your post. I become extremely anxious when subjected to 'hot' enviornments now because I once fainted after getting too hot, which I guess is quite common? Unfortunately it is now a trigger for panic attacks for me. My last one was in the hair dressers, whilst having my hair done :( it was the fact I was trapped in the chair, getting gradually hotter, feeling more and more anxious until I had to excuse myself to go outside to have one of my worst episodes ever. Numb hands, dizzy.... literally ended up on the floor crying, exclaiming I was going to die. (i am normally quite a composed individual and would never want to draw any kind of attention to myself in public!) i consider hot places to be one of my key triggers for attacks.hope you are feeling better now & getting some kind of hold on this horrible thing. L