PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Phobias

Brokenmum
29-06-11, 22:04
Does anyone have any bizarre phobias?
My main one is straws, daft I know but everytime I have a straw I have to look through it despite it being see through, blow through it, tap and do the same again before placing it in my drink. If someone so much as places a straw in my drink before my inspection, all hell breaks loose! It all started at the age of 8. Got my tuppaware cup with a straw built in, poured my drink and to my horror of sipping from the straw, an earwig was shot at the back of my throat. Ahh its a one off so I thought. It happened again the next day much to my grandfathers amusement. Anyway thats one of my bizarre phobias. Whats yours?

looking4answers
29-06-11, 22:11
What is a earwig?

ThisIsCharlie
29-06-11, 22:11
I've got quite a similar (well opposite really) phobia. I can't drink from anything I can see through unless it has never been used before. So i cannot drink from household glasses unless they are fresh out of the packet and then i can only drink from them once and bottles i can never refil. However, if i go to a bar, or someones house and the glasses or bottles don't belong to me its fine. Odd.
I'm also beyond petrified of octopus'. Even seeing a picture of one makes me shake with fear.

ThisIsCharlie
29-06-11, 22:13
What is a earwig?

One of these i think?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/pony1moreno/woodlouse.gif

debs71
29-06-11, 22:31
I hate anchors....the really big ones and the big chains they are attached to. I also hate huge ships/liners and submarines.

I cannot fathom why, and the only thing I can link it to is that my sister had an encyclopaedia when we were kids and I was scared senseless when I saw a photo of a submarine in it and avoided the book like the plague afterwards. I don't know why...it's bonkers really.

My Dad was in the navy for several years and I was taken on a guided tour of a submarine as a teenager and I could not even look at it sitting in the docks at Portsmouth until I boarded......horrible.:(

looking4answers
29-06-11, 22:39
Now I do get a little weird when I get a can drink and feel ice inside the can from being too cold. Im always freaked out that its something in the can...lol but now. i love ships and anchors but not sure I could hanle a sub....but I dont mind looking at them... Hmmm nice photo! I think that would freak me out about something in the straw though ughhhh :)

Jannie2948
29-06-11, 22:46
Hi, the picture that ThisisCharlie has put on here is of a Woodlice an earwig looks different to that, tried to post one on here but not sure how to paste a picture on here. I found a picture in Wikipedia but couldn't post it, have a look there. My dad once had one is his ear and I have always had a phobia of one going into my ear whilst I sleep or anything crawly, yuk yuk yuk, therefore I have always slept with cotton wool in my ears!!! Sad but true :-(

Jannie x x

looking4answers
29-06-11, 23:07
ughhhh ....maybe I should too...my ears stay stopped up most of the time anyway ...guess its no difference...

Kate21
30-06-11, 15:52
those long tea spoons you use for ice cream sundaes make me feel a bit funny, and unusually long limbs especially arms and legs. I freak out a bit whenever I see the film 'happy gilmore' because of that mans wierd long arm *shudder* I think this phobia came from seeing terminator 2 as a child that scene where the bad policeman uses his arms as long hooks to get onto the back of Arnies car, still can't watch that scene! XD

pia
30-06-11, 17:39
I have a phobia of certain words- so much so that i cant even bring myself to type them here!- they arent words that mean anything bad, they are adjectives to do with food and smells. I feel sick if anyone mentions them. If i see them on a menu to describe food etc i cant order that item, even if i like it! Friends think its hilarious, i feel like a right nutter! x

PanchoGoz
30-06-11, 19:12
those long tea spoons you use for ice cream sundaes make me feel a bit funny, and unusually long limbs especially arms and legs. I freak out a bit whenever I see the film 'happy gilmore' because of that mans wierd long arm *shudder* I think this phobia came from seeing terminator 2 as a child that scene where the bad policeman uses his arms as long hooks to get onto the back of Arnies car, still can't watch that scene! XD

I have a similar problem - I get scared by things that are too big/small out of proportion, which dates back to when I had night terrors as a child and the room would look the wrong size. I HATE it. If anyone has this let me know because I feel like the only one!

Brokenmum
30-06-11, 20:55
Bless, well I am ever so glad that it just isn't me :blush::laugh:
An earwig is a vile little insect with pincher's.
Horrid things :scared15:
See picture below:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WRI8Ai9b018/TaWudSKKGqI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/2ZGmnOYFRVc/s1600/earwig.jpg

Some of my other bizarre phobias are making sure that my feet are tucked under the duvet/quilt. I have this weird idea that a bogey man/evil presence is going to grab them and pull me from the bed. I'm thirty and you would of thought that I would of grown out of it by now :blush:

Pointy things, for example if a fork/pen/straw is pointing at me or at eye level, I have this urge to move it in another direction or remove it full stop. I keep thinking that something is going to poke me in the eye :blush:

The four corner checks at night before I lay in bed, to see to it that there are no unwanted spiders. My pillows have to be a certain distance away from the headboard before I lay down my head and I have to check behind to see that nothing is there also. Crazy! :doh::sign20:
Eyes, fish eyes... ever since the age of 6 and accidentally poking my goldfishes eyes out with a lollipop stick, I just haven't been able to gaze at them. I gag... a lot!

That's just a small few, but the majority were brought on from something that triggered them in early childhood.

It does make me as well as others giggle now but at those times when it is happening, I am deadly serious :wacko:

Kate21
07-07-11, 14:42
I have a similar problem - I get scared by things that are too big/small out of proportion, which dates back to when I had night terrors as a child and the room would look the wrong size. I HATE it. If anyone has this let me know because I feel like the only one!

I do love miniture things though.
Do you meen the room would be warped? I think I know what you meen. I used to have nightmares where things would be too tall.

PokerFace
08-07-11, 12:02

I had that as a child! I'd have night terrors too and everything would either be too big, too small or too close, too far away. One that really sticks in my mind is the Pokemon poster I used to have on my wall when I was little and it would always seem too close or too far away and really start to panic me lol =/

I can't stand it when I get that sense now, I get it really bad when I have a temperature nowadays or when my anxiety's quite high! x

Hope38
08-07-11, 15:44
I hate egg shell makes me throw up if I get the slightest bit in my food so I cant eat eggs unless I prepare them myself and you should see the state of me if I have to deshell them.:wacko:

KayleighJane
08-07-11, 16:15
lol broken mum dont worry about the bogey man thing because i am 24 and still terrified of that! i can't be in the dark because i think about the bogey man and things that go bump in the night :blush:

I don't really have any bizarre phobias, when i cut myself all hell breaks loose, I cut my foot at home the other day and my bf had his work cut out persuading me that i wasn't going to bleed to death/lose my foot lol. yet with others peoples blood its not so bad (all this coming from the girl that would love to be a nurse lol)

Kayleigh x

jonmark
14-07-11, 08:14
A phobia is an intense, unrealistic fear of an object, an event, or a feeling. An estimated 18 percent of the U.S. adult population suffers from some kind of phobia, and a person can develop a phobia of anything--elevators, clocks, mushrooms, closed spaces, open spaces. Exposure to these trigger the rapid breathing, pounding heartbeat, and sweaty palms of panic.
There are three defined types of phobias:

specific or simple phobias--fear of an object or situation, such as spiders, heights or flying
social phobias--fear of embarrassment or humiliation in social settings
agoraphobia--fear of being away from a safe place

Agyrophobics have a fear of crossing streets, highways and other thoroughfares, or a fear of thoroughfares themselves. This, of course, makes it very difficult to live comfortably in a city. The word comes from the Greek gyrus which means turning or whirling as the phobic avoids the whirl of traffic. The phobia covers several categories, wherein sufferers may fear wide roads specifically down to suburban single lane streets, and can also include fearing jaywalking or crossing anywhere on a street, even a designated intersection. This phobia is considered independent from the fear of cars.

Anxious_gal
14-07-11, 13:55
hmm, Weird phobia,
Well the thought of rubbing wool on my teeth, I can't stand the thought and the imagined sensation!

Spiders on my bed, not the tiny ones but the big black ones, when I was a child I was in bed with my teddy and a big black spider crawled across it's face, scared the life out of me!

I have a weird thing about sleeping with my underwear on, just in case a spider or insect might pass by, I heard horror stories in school.... you don't want to know!

I don't like walking around without shoes on, just because of the amount of times I have stepped on something hard! Including a thumbtack!
Actually I hate thumbtacks, won't have them in my house.

Always checking the shower temp before i get in, panic if I hear the shower making funny noises.
I got scaled at a pool once, I hoped under the shower pressed the on button and scalding hot water came out : (