PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect from therapy?

kaleiconoe
29-06-11, 22:25
Hi!

So, I've been really anxious these last 3 years and have seen several psychologists/therapists but have never done more than 4 sessions with each.

With both psychologists I've seen, they would not say a word and tell me to speak. It really didn't help at all. I'd run out of subjects pretty fast and I'd just be there, sitting, feeling kinda stupid :shades:
I told them I needed an "active" therapy and one of them said it was either a psychology session or medication... yeah sure...

One CBT therapist let me tell him about my life and my anxieties (like I did with psychologists) for around 30 minutes. He then made me pay 85€ (holy crap!), told me I needed to learn a breathing technique and sent me on my way.
Yeah, thank you sherlock!

My question is : how can I spot a good therapy/therapist? What should I expect from it/them? Should I try more sessions or look for someone else?

carldourish
29-06-11, 22:32
I would expect that you learn how to make changes. I once was your traditional psychotherapist, just like the one's you've seen. I would just sit there and let client talk. I became frustrated when no real change happened. I now teach my clients in the very first session how to change their memories. Give them a tool for life.

You take charge of your own well-being.

Carl.

Philomena
22-07-11, 22:51
I think it takes time to get the therapist suited to you. I have a councillor now, who hasn`t done me much good to be honest. She is a lovely lady who has helped me with a couple of issues, but there is no way she considers my mental health problems. She wants me to draw a line under my negative feelings, and events which have disturbed me from the past after about half an hour into the session. But I desperately need to pour my feelings out and work on coming to terms with things over a few sessions at least.

She seems to think if I get the words out then I will instantly feel better, but although I don`t want sympathy, I think I could be listened to a lot more about my depression. She seems to think that doesn`t exist I think.

I really need to talk to a mental health therapist instead.

We need to look around for sure!

lmb_nj
22-07-11, 23:07
So unfortunate you have to go through several to get even someone you fill could provide help!

I was just trying to find one myself. I first went on who was in my health plan and then researched on Google. There are sites here like Pyschology Today, Healthgrades, etc. that at least provide background on the person and at times "people ratings" not necessarily verbal reviews". And, of course, I asked neighbors/friends for someone they know who is good. I have an appointment coming up that I made with two different ones. When I talked to one on the phone she seemed really OK to me. So I have high hopes. I also talked to another one in the meantime and not sure I cared for her phone manner. I know it may be too soon to pass judgement based on the phone, but I am not here to waste time, I want to get help.

good luck!

Philomena
22-07-11, 23:15
Hi Imb,

Maybe you could give the one you have high hopes for one session but if your intuition tells you she isn`t for you then don`t go again? Maybe the other one on the phone was distracted or was having a bad day? (I guess she shouldn`t be having such a bad day being a councillor though lol). :doh:

Sometimes we don`t hold out much hope with first impressions of people but then they can turn out to be great!

But I would go for the one you feel good about first of course.

xx

kibbutz83
23-07-11, 00:13
Hi, mental health therapists are far harsher than any counsellor :( A proper psychotherapist will not make things any easier for you... psychotherapy will attempt to get you to face your "demons" head on... counselling is the "soft option". I found that a counsellor was more my "friend", but a psychotherapist was more a "kick up the bum" :)