PDA

View Full Version : 5htp and vitamin b complex

ben16
30-06-11, 17:55
Hi ive been taking 5htp for 2 weeks .i started on 50mg and now am taking 100mg a day.I read about how vitamin b can help so i take 1 tablet of that a day.On monday and tues i had 2 really good days but weds afternoon felt bad again and then today i felt spaced out,seriously tired and my face felt like it was on fire.I have since read that vit b turns 5htp into serotonin before it gets to the brain and leaves it in the blood.Could this be the problem i was experiencing and would i be better to drop the vit b????

shropshire_lad
02-07-11, 17:05
Don't worry about mixing them, I've used 5 HTP with B complex for many years with no ill effects.

I have never seen any evidence of serotnin syndrome with 5 HTP after much searching.

trish1955
03-07-11, 09:57
what is this 5htp never herd of it i to afraid to even take vitam b scared of any meds yet been told its good for nervs and right now mine are in tatters take lv trish

PanchoGoz
03-07-11, 12:19
what is this 5htp never herd of it i to afraid to even take vitam b scared of any meds yet been told its good for nervs and right now mine are in tatters take lv trish

You can't really class vit B as a med...its a supplement. Think of it that way. 5HTP is a natural remedy to up your serotonin levels (which regulates your moods, sleep, anxiety and things) but not in a full on antidepressent way. I think its from some kind of wild flower..? Neither could do you much harm they are quite gentle.