PDA

View Full Version : Indigestion Discomfort 45+

Diva
30-06-11, 20:47
Hi there

Anyone experienced indigestion without acid reflux or burning? I seem to be experiencing this alot lately, sort of discomfort in upper chest and back. It goes away if I rub my chest and burp, like winding a baby! Sometimes the discomfort is so bad I can see why people often think indigestion is a heart attack.

I've never had a wind problem before and my HA is working overtime, imaging it must be Ca of the Pancreas.

Just wondered if any other females in my age range ever suffer from this and could recommend an over the counter remedy, something maybe that you can take to prevent it rather than when it happens?

I'm 48 and I've heard it's a common ailment of middle-aged women. I also remember my Mum belching quite alot in her forties.

I am pretty stressed at present as I've had a rather difficult year. Can anyone provide some calming words or good advice. Unfortunately my HA prevents me from visiting Drs, I don't even have a GP, so scared of tests & bad news!

Many thanks for listening.

Jess4
01-07-11, 16:28
Hi there,

I have to say I know exactly what you're talking about!
I am not in that age range, I'm only 26, but I get the worst chest discomfort with what I'm assuming is indigestion and gas. I get no burning or funny taste in my mouth. The burping is pretty extreme though. I don't know where all the air is coming from!

I too can see why it could be mistaken as a heart attack. There are many times I have to breathe and remind myself it's not. I've even got EKGs, an echo and 24 hr monitor to prove it. It feels like my heart is just going to expode or something. It's hard to believe something's not terribly wrong!

It's a terrible terrible feeling though.
Hope I could help,
Jessica

Diva
01-07-11, 23:36
Thanks Jess

Do you take anything for it? You seem so young to be having this kind of discomfort.

Donna

Jess4
02-07-11, 15:13
Tell me about it! It's been going on for about 7 months now. I have a very stressful job which I don't like at all and a boss that talks down to her employees. I always thought I wasn't doing my job right when I was. I went through a particulary stressful time last November and it's been going on since then. I just can't shake it! The panic attacks have stopped for the most part but I still get the weird physical symptoms. It's driving me crazy! Did I mention I also get married in Sept and bought a house in January.. No wonder my bodies mad at me! haha

I only take Tums now for it, it seems to help. I have been looking into taking the omeprazole, maybe it will help long term.

Do you take anything for it?

Jess

Diva
03-07-11, 17:00
Hi there

I too just take tums at present, been ok today. Hoping if it were something gastly the discomfort wouldn't come and go. I can go for days without the bad feeling.

kibbutz83
03-07-11, 17:21
Hi Diva, I'm 48 too, and am menopausal... all of my symptoms can be put down to declining oestrogen levels... our digestion slows right down at this age (whether you still have periods or not), and this can cause excess gas and bloating. It's really important "at our age", to eat a healthy diet, and maybe cut out certain foods... one's that are hard to digest, eg red meat. Anxiety levels go through the roof too at menopause, so relaxation is very important :) Good luck

Diva
03-07-11, 23:45
Thank you

Makes me feel alot better to find someone who understands - It's great this 40+ thing isn't it (not!)

Best love

Donna